Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you live off £14 a week? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyway it's a loan - everyone pays them back - which makes this whole thing even more ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Buying food from cheap shops like adli/lidl and getting cupboard staples from home bargains.
    I don't even know where my nearest Aldi/Lidl is (nowhere close, that's for sure), and I've never heard of 'home bargains'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    Because you're eating out?!

:rolleyes:

try just getting you some bread which stretches a week if not two

get you some rice, stretches a week if not two

get you some packaged chicken, stretches a week if not two

get you some beans, stretches a week if not two

get you some pasta, stretches a week if not two

and ingredients don't even cost 20 for all the things I just listed

buying dry ass not-filling-you Subway and expecting to have money left lol
    i am culinarily impaired (and dont really like rice/chicken)

but i am catered anyway so it's okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus Walks)
    I don't even know where my nearest Aldi/Lidl is (nowhere close, that's for sure), and I've never heard of 'home bargains'.
    Sometimes people on the lowest of incomes have no choice but to travel to the cheapest shops to be able to afford to eat. And home bargains is a discount chain, there are stores throughout the country. It's a great shop that sells branded food (among other unknown brands) still well within date heavily discounted. If you have one near you you'd be a fool not to shop there.

ReputationRep:
    i am culinarily impaired (and dont really like rice/chicken)

but i am catered anyway so it's okay.
    lmao culinarily impaired.

And stawp. How can you not like rice and chicken?! Mate.
    Get you a damn cookbook :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes people on the lowest of incomes have no choice but to travel to the cheapest shops to be able to afford to eat. And home bargains is a discount chain, there are stores throughout the country. It's a great shop that sells branded food (among other unknown brands) still well within date heavily discounted. If you have one near you you'd be a fool not to shop there.
    my nearest lidl is a 4 hour walk or 2 hour cycle away.

(Original post by somesomebody)
    Get you a damn cookbook :toofunny:
    my accommodation has no cooking facilities

ReputationRep:

-________________________________ ______________________-

ReputationRep:

What uni do you go to?

Universities in higher income and less densely populated areas don't tend to have as many shopping choices.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fun, but you can definitely survive in £40 a month for food. I've had to do it before. And it doesn't have to be all crap either, I ate somewhat well for the price. Though of course no meat, couldn't afford it.
    Helps a lot that you're small. OP could easily need twice the amount of food you do.

ReputationRep:
    What uni do you go to?

Universities in higher income and less densely populated areas don't tend to have as many shopping choices.
    Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Probably helps a lot that you're small. OP could easily need twice the amount of food you do.
    True, though you can get high calorie foods quite cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    So yeah.... somewhat high income area.

But anyway what college? There is an aldi only a 20ish minute walk from Trinity college.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived off £10 a day in my first year before - it was hard for me as most of that went on transport costs, living little money for food.

Thankfully I'll have about £10,000 savings this year + whatever I get in student finance (about £5,000)

You should learn how to do matched betting if you're short for money

I made £2,000 doing the sign up offers in about 2 weeks.

I still make about £50 a week doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    My mother, my siblings and I are British citizens. We have dual citizenship which this person is using against me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think you should have to defend yourself in so much detail. This person is just being obnoxious. They are very bitter (which surely isn't good for their health!). Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    So yeah.... somewhat high income area.

But anyway what college? There is an aldi only a 20ish minute walk from Trinity college.
    I'm a food snob so I wouldn't really go beyond Sainsbury's/M&S tbh.

ReputationRep:
    not a chance

ReputationRep:
    I'm a food snob so I wouldn't really go beyond Sainsbury's/M&S tbh.
    ...well then there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    I don't think you should have to defend yourself in so much detail. This person is just being obnoxious. They are very bitter (which surely isn't good for their health!). Oh dear...
    Yeah I just got too caught up when they said my parents should have had had kids because they are bad financially, especially considering the only reason they're not in a similar position to me is because their parents earn so much less that they just got more loan and bursary and grant (which they scrapped this year anyway). I found it really hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    I could survive on £14 a week, once my accommodation and bills were out of the equation. But live? I don't call that living.

My advice is look if the university offers any form of scholarships, and apply for them, you might get lucky. Also arrange a decent student overdraft, get a job at university, and ring student finance asking if you can have more of a maintenance loan, it worked for me years ago (but they did mess up my finance in the first place).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Yeah I just got too caught up when they said my parents should have had had kids because they are bad financially, especially considering the only reason they're not in a similar position to me is because their parents earn so much less that they just got more loan and bursary and grant (which they scrapped this year anyway). I found it really hypocritical.
    Yeah, that was pretty twisted what they said about eugenics! I agree with you that the student loan system is pretty mucked up and needs reform. Hey hum

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.