Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could you live off £14 a week? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My mate has £8 on his card to last him the next 3 weeks. He says it will be ok since he has 150 cans of beans so he spent £6.50 of that 8 on wine...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe/no
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Sometimes people on the lowest of incomes have no choice but to travel to the cheapest shops to be able to afford to eat. And home bargains is a discount chain, there are stores throughout the country. It's a great shop that sells branded food (among other unknown brands) still well within date heavily discounted. If you have one near you you'd be a fool not to shop there.
    I love home bargains, miss it now I've moved to an expensive area :cry2:. I'd take a home bargains over a Waitrose any day!

to OP: I assume this has been covered but get a job? I worked all over the place (running joke) but I was on about 550 +bonuses a month working in a bank call centre (no outbound phew) working 15 hours a week. Sunday all day and Mon/Tues evenings so it didn't interfere with uni and I still had my weekend (but who goes out at the weekend as a student it's all about cheap Thursdays).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    I love home bargains, miss it now I've moved to an expensive area :cry2:. I'd take a home bargains over a Waitrose any day!

to OP: I assume this has been covered but get a job? I worked all over the place (running joke) but I was on about 550 +bonuses a month working in a bank call centre (no outbound phew) working 15 hours a week. Sunday all day and Mon/Tues evenings so it didn't interfere with uni and I still had my weekend (but who goes out at the weekend as a student it's all about cheap Thursdays).
    Thankfully my city has home bargains everywhere. Even the posh areas of Liverpool have a home bargains somewhat nearby.

never leaving the north!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Thankfully my city has home bargains everywhere. Even the posh areas of Liverpool have a home bargains somewhat nearby.

never leaving the north!
    I'll eventually make my way back up. Glasgow has so many cheap shops lol. We have a big Aldi near my family home and a Lidl just opened! I'm jealous of my mum's shopping lol. All I have is a crappy tesco which sells expensive salt. Why would anyone buy branded salt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    I'll eventually make my way back up. Glasgow has so many cheap shops lol. We have a big Aldi near my family home and a Lidl just opened! I'm jealous of my mum's shopping lol. All I have is a crappy tesco which sells expensive salt. Why would anyone buy branded salt!
    Lol some people have more money than sense.

ReputationRep:
    I get a grant from my uni because of where I live, plus my over draft and I work Nando's which pays good money! I'd like to think when I don't have any more money from my job in my account I dip into my over draft. I'm quite frivolous and I'm a £800 into my over draft but it doesn't bother me because I'll pay it off with my grant 😁. I don't get any financial support from my family and I Defo say if I didn't have my job I'd be stressing a lot more about my finances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adulate_)
    I get a grant from my uni because of where I live, plus my over draft and I work Nando's which pays good money! I'd like to think when I don't have any more money from my job in my account I dip into my over draft. I'm quite frivolous and I'm a £800 into my over draft but it doesn't bother me because I'll pay it off with my grant 😁. I don't get any financial support from my family and I Defo say if I didn't have my job I'd be stressing a lot more about my finances
    We don't get grants anymore from student finance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He meant bursary. Which are available from universities not student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)

From my uni, not student finance
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    From my uni not student finance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    They shouldn't be having children then....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because kids going to university would be the only reason for having them? Congratulations, you really are stupid af.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    1) No it doesn't, it works with the assumption of a steady or steadily rising income, you'd need mid 4 figure pay bumps over a year or two to break the assumption.

2) That would be great to help with, but realistically you then have to monitor that person's and their parents' revenues quite closely and so it's not going to work.

3) Kind of the point...

4) You realise means testing adjusts for London cost of living and others being at uni, right? An hour of work in London or a similar high wage area is also worth a good bit more than the rest of the UK.

Overall it amounts to what's the best for the most amount of people and the question comes down to: Would we rather screw over poor kids who would get less money and so wouldn't be able to afford living costs at some universities? or would we prefer to screw over rich kids whose parents aren't topping up their loan like they're supposed to? (and at least partially can purely by moving what would have been their spending on their child during term time into their bank account).
    Because you go to university somewhere less expensive than the area you live in, does not mean that you can still survive. i find it rather funny that, not you but in general people like to argue against the case for lower middle class families when they are being absolutely pummelled by every government in the past decade; its shocking. This isn't necessarily anecdotal from my perspective, i have not gone to university yet, however, i have seen in many of my friends cases that they can barely survive because the system presumes as you say that the parents can afford to skim off enough money to help pay for the child whilst he/she is away. If that is the case, surely the poor can do that too, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    My mate has £8 on his card to last him the next 3 weeks. He says it will be ok since he has 150 cans of beans so he spent £6.50 of that 8 on wine...
    Doesn't he have family who could give him some money?

ReputationRep:
    Get a part-time job and work full-time during the summer. No parents needed.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.