Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing an apprenticeship and the people at work are making my life a misery.. It's got to the point where I feel sick and have panic attacks about going in to work.
    The doctor has recently signed me off for 2 weeks with stress due to work.
    Does anyone know what would happen if I left my apprenticeship? Would my college course already be paid for so I can continue it or do I need to find the money to pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm sorry to hear that your struggling with your apprenticeship. I'm an apprentice myself...

I would start by looking for an alternative other than leaving?
    I don't know the size of the company but whether you can move teams or offices and continue your apprenticeship just in a different setting. This conversation could be had with someone above your line manager/mentor to avoid the awkwardness.

Also is your company aware that you've been signed off for this reason?
    I know it will be difficult conversation to have but if they are having this effect on you someone within the company should be told especially because it has had an effect on your mental health.

Once the above two options have been seriously considered and you do have to/need to leave.
    Apprenticeships work on a frame work which means the company you work for and the college you go to get given funding to train you. if you leave the company the agreement obviously gets broken, I work for a large engineering firm and I'm sure I've seen legislation around this subject internally, I'm pretty sure for me the consequences would vary depending on how my apprenticeship was terminated; whether it be illness or performance or for some other reason.

So I would speak to someone regarding the process, whether its someone within the recruitment team that hired you or possibly through your learning provider as they are likely to be neutral.

I hope you get this sorted and best of luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys Satchell)
    Hi I'm sorry to hear that your struggling with your apprenticeship. I'm an apprentice myself...

I would start by looking for an alternative other than leaving?
    I don't know the size of the company but whether you can move teams or offices and continue your apprenticeship just in a different setting. This conversation could be had with someone above your line manager/mentor to avoid the awkwardness.

Also is your company aware that you've been signed off for this reason?
    I know it will be difficult conversation to have but if they are having this effect on you someone within the company should be told especially because it has had an effect on your mental health.

Once the above two options have been seriously considered and you do have to/need to leave.
    Apprenticeships work on a frame work which means the company you work for and the college you go to get given funding to train you. if you leave the company the agreement obviously gets broken, I work for a large engineering firm and I'm sure I've seen legislation around this subject internally, I'm pretty sure for me the consequences would vary depending on how my apprenticeship was terminated; whether it be illness or performance or for some other reason.

So I would speak to someone regarding the process, whether its someone within the recruitment team that hired you or possibly through your learning provider as they are likely to be neutral.

I hope you get this sorted and best of luck with everything
    Thank you so so much!I had spoken to the partner of the company and he pretty much told me to man up because they were all lovely girls!When I had my first interview they told me I would have a chance to move into the department I actually wanted to be in, but recently they have said that, that was never the plan and I basically had to agree that if the job in the preferred department came up that I wouldn't take the job..The company are now aware and have been aware for the past couple of weeks! All of a sudden the partner is worried about me and hadn't realised how bad it was making me, although I had been telling him how I was feeling weeks before I actually got signed off with stress aswell as severe depression. Thank you very much for this! I have spoken to my tutor at college and he says he's not sure what he can do. But aslong as I'm looking for another apprenticeship I'm fine.. Especially as I'm under 18 so I do need to be in either full time education, full time job or apprenticeship.I really appreciate your help& I will let you know how I get on!Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophiemarie1998)
    Thank you so so much!I had spoken to the partner of the company and he pretty much told me to man up because they were all lovely girls!When I had my first interview they told me I would have a chance to move into the department I actually wanted to be in, but recently they have said that, that was never the plan and I basically had to agree that if the job in the preferred department came up that I wouldn't take the job..The company are now aware and have been aware for the past couple of weeks! All of a sudden the partner is worried about me and hadn't realised how bad it was making me, although I had been telling him how I was feeling weeks before I actually got signed off with stress aswell as severe depression. Thank you very much for this! I have spoken to my tutor at college and he says he's not sure what he can do. But aslong as I'm looking for another apprenticeship I'm fine.. Especially as I'm under 18 so I do need to be in either full time education, full time job or apprenticeship.I really appreciate your help& I will let you know how I get on!Thanks again.
    Who is "they"??
    I think its very unlikely that the company is actually allowed to stop you moving job roles, it sounds like they are taking advantage of your age a little bit and pressuring you into decisions as you don't know where you stand.
    Often you will find companies tend to be cautious around subjects like stress as people often 'cry wolf' to try and get money from them.

The best advice I would give is finish your qualification then look to progress your apprenticeship i.e Degree/HND level Apprenticeship in the same subject just through a different company, so you don't have to start over.

Cheers and good luck!

Submit reply
Updated: March 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.