Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone know any volunteering roles that has this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am considering taking up volunteering again this summer and I'd like the environment to be not entirely stress-free. I want to learn how to cope in difficult situations which I feel would be an immense contribution for my personal development as well. Any ideas? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    I am considering taking up volunteering again this summer and I'd like the environment to be not entirely stress-free. I want to learn how to cope in difficult situations which I feel would be an immense contribution for my personal development as well. Any ideas? Thank you
    iknow this sounds typical but care home,
    i volunteered for over a year and let me tell you it was such a great experience, i had to deal with elderly patients that were blind, hard of hearing, or had severe dementia but were all such sweet beings. i faced many difficult situations such as emotional situations, i required a lor of patience repeating myself etc. i didnt know how to handle it at first but i really feel this experience has made me such a more patient and compassionate person. loved it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    iknow this sounds typical but care home,
    i volunteered for over a year and let me tell you it was such a great experience, i had to deal with elderly patients that were blind, hard of hearing, or had severe dementia but were all such sweet beings. i faced many difficult situations such as emotional situations, i required a lor of patience repeating myself etc. i didnt know how to handle it at first but i really feel this experience has made me such a more patient and compassionate person. loved it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I already did 6 months of volunteering in a care home 2 years ago. I don't ever want to go back, sorry

Thank you for your help though...

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, I think I will volunteer for the Red Cross this summer, some of the roles include emergency help and first aid etc.

I'm very open to any other good suggestions, TSR...

ReputationRep:
    I already did 6 months of volunteering in a care home 2 years ago. I don't ever want to go back, sorry

Thank you for your help though...
    i understand i also joimed a math buddy scheme where id help year 7's with their maths and there was also an english buddy scheme,where ud read with primary school kids. i enjoyed it and it really helped with my explaining skills ans my ability to understand what each kid needed. maybe u have similair clubs in your area? x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    apply for the shadow ranger placements at the forestry commission starting in April if youre interested in working with people and the environment, theyre really flexible around your schedule and you can volunteer from 1-4 days a week. it starts off just helping out the main ranger and they slowly build you up so that youre driving their jeeps around off road (and onroad if you've passed your test), assisting with leading volunteer groups and by the end leading them solo, doing woodland checks etc. I did it last summer and it was one of the best things I ever did for my confidence, it really pushed me and made me more capable of handling things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkAcid)
    apply for the shadow ranger placements at the forestry commission starting in April if youre interested in working with people and the environment, theyre really flexible around your schedule and you can volunteer from 1-4 days a week. it starts off just helping out the main ranger and they slowly build you up so that youre driving their jeeps around off road (and onroad if you've passed your test), assisting with leading volunteer groups and by the end leading them solo, doing woodland checks etc. I did it last summer and it was one of the best things I ever did for my confidence, it really pushed me and made me more capable of handling things.
    I live in London so I am not near enough to do this

ReputationRep:
    ah that sucks is there a particular field/career you want to go into?

ReputationRep:
    have you considered doing volunteer work abroad? it sounds pretty scary, i know, but my kids tried it and had the time of their lives. getting exposed to another culture did them a lot of good.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Where are you based? As there are a few websites online that can be helpful. Do-it.org is a good one. Also are you at university? If so you careers or union probably has a volunteering team (that's my job at Imperial) who will have lots of contacts and probably a database of volunteering roles.

A few that spring to mind is there are often residential holidays for disadvantaged children or those with disabilities. There are things such as clearing a garden space and helping with the outdoors. Charity shops are always looking for helpers, homeless shelters to give support, museums for people to be tour guides or working on the front desk.

Let me know if you need any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkAcid)
    ah that sucks is there a particular field/career you want to go into?
    Yes, aerospace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProudParent75)
    have you considered doing volunteer work abroad? it sounds pretty scary, i know, but my kids tried it and had the time of their lives. getting exposed to another culture did them a lot of good.
    I have always wanted to do that but I need to save up some money first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Where are you based? As there are a few websites online that can be helpful. Do-it.org is a good one. Also are you at university? If so you careers or union probably has a volunteering team (that's my job at Imperial) who will have lots of contacts and probably a database of volunteering roles.

A few that spring to mind is there are often residential holidays for disadvantaged children or those with disabilities. There are things such as clearing a garden space and helping with the outdoors. Charity shops are always looking for helpers, homeless shelters to give support, museums for people to be tour guides or working on the front desk.

Let me know if you need any help
    I like the idea of Do-it.org!

Also I love the other ideas thank you so much. I hope to be in uni this September

ReputationRep:
    community first responder

FIrst aid / emergency response with SJA or red Cross

street angels/ street pastors

Special constabularly

reserve forces

RNLI

Mountain rescue if you all ready had time on the hill

ReputationRep:
    I have always wanted to do that but I need to save up some money first
    ah yes that can be a problem but you can look into financial aid options, and even work part time. my son tried his hand at being an uber driver! he said he met a lot of interesting folks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.