Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys. I currently study English Language and Psychology AS Levels (Estimated grades A & B respectively). I study BTEC Music as well.

    I'm 19 years old, a mature student, also a single mother to a pre-schooler, and struggling.
    It's not so much the workload. I can handle the work, my grades are pretty good considering my situation, and I enjoy what I do.

    However, my attendance is awful. (70%)
    I have to go in 5 days a week, but I usually take one day off a week for various reasons (mental health, I don't like leaving my son, and lack of motivation).

    Ideally, I want to get into teaching, or social work.
    I've applied for Access courses (In Education, and Social Work) for September, as I feel like it may be easier on me attendance-wise, as it's 14 hours a week so shouldn't be more than 3 days a week.

    One thing I'm worried about is if the universities will take it as seriously as A levels. I wouldn't have 3 A levels anyway, so university may have been out of the question... but I really wanted to get into a Russell Group uni (Manchester), to do English... and I'm worried that now, with Access, I won't be able to go about it that way.

    TL;DR: Single mum, lack of motivation, doing 2 A Levels. Should I continue on next year for A2, with a fast-track A level course on the side to get into Uni, or go with the Access Course?

    Thanks for reading,

    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    You need to be 21 or over to be classified as a mature student. 2 A levels won't be enough to meet the entry requirements at most universities, so it probably would be a good idea to do an Access course instead. All universities accept Access courses, even Oxford and Cambridge, but you need to do the right kind of Access course; if you want to do an English degree then an Education and Social Work Access course is unlikely to meet the requirements. If you're lacking motivation to do A levels then you will find Access courses very hard. If you don't like leaving your son perhaps consider the Open University as an alternative?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni


    Essay expert

    Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

    Study planner

    Create a study plan

    Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

    Study planner

    Resources by subject

    Everything from mind maps to class notes.

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student doing homework

    Study tips from A* students

    Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

    Study help links and info

    Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

    Sponsored content:



    Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.