The Student Room Group

Tesco night shift premium pay?

So I got a interview at Tesco for customer assistant night shift. Hours are 22:00-07:00am. For both Friday and Saturday.

My NMW is £5.30. Age 21+ is £6.70.

So what should I ask for? In the online form, I said I "roughly expected £7" and still got an interview. But, what should my hourly rate be considering I'm working in night premium hours. This is at a Tesco Extra.
You'll find out in the interview I doubt you'll be getting anything less than 6.50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by martinnmartin
You'll find out in the interview I doubt you'll be getting anything less than 6.50

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will they provide me the hourly rate and negotiate from there on? Or will they ask me of what rate I want? If so, I just didn't want to say a value too low or ridiculously high.
I'm not sure for my job the rate was shown in the advert- best find someone that has worked in tescos. If they ask go for £7 I mean those hours sound horrible and how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm not sure for my job the rate was shown in the advert- best find someone that has worked in tescos. If they ask go for £7 I mean those hours sound horrible and how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 19. On a gap year, so these hours are OK with me. My rate was not shown. Is £7 not too low for night hours and weekends?
Probably I mean at 17 I was making £7 delivering pizzas and they offered 7.50 when I told them I was leaving to concentrate on exams. Bear in mind i wasn't working your late hours. But the difference between 7 and 8 £ per hour is unnoticeable. Have you had a job before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Probably I mean at 17 I was making £7 delivering pizzas and they offered 7.50 when I told them I was leaving to concentrate on exams. Bear in mind i wasn't working your late hours. But the difference between 7 and 8 £ per hour is unnoticeable. Have you had a job before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will be my first paid job. If you don't mind me asking, how long was that ago for you? Current NMW day rate is £6.70. I was expecting much more than £7 for late nights and weekends at that.
I quit in February and started a year before that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KnoVolt
So I got a interview at Tesco for customer assistant night shift. Hours are 22:00-07:00am. For both Friday and Saturday.

My NMW is £5.30. Age 21+ is £6.70.

So what should I ask for? In the online form, I said I "roughly expected £7" and still got an interview. But, what should my hourly rate be considering I'm working in night premium hours. This is at a Tesco Extra.

You can't negotiate pay at Tesco (or other supermarkets for that matter). Their rate is fixed for all staff -- night staff will get a pay premium between midnight an 6am. The actual amount depends on the area (e.g. London stores get higher than non-London etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending