Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a student from Australia, who will be going on exchange for six months to the University of Sheffield. I will be starting in September of this year and so I am hoping for any advice I can get on this university. Whether it be which accommodation to chose, what clothing to bring with me, the easiest way to make friends, and just any advice I can get. Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    University of Sheffield

This is the forum for U of Sheffield ^. Start there!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'd be happy to give you my advice on some of your questions. In terms of accommodation, The Encliffe Village is in a nice part of town and there are shared spaced which is good for getting to know people (check out google maps though). The weather is Sheffield is mild in the autumn through winter so you will need jumpers and later a warm coat (going from even 20 at beginning of Sep, average about 15C, down to 5 and below in the winter). It also rains quite often. Best advice for meeting people would be to get chatting to people in your classes and accommodation, join some clubs and also go to any events you fancy at the Student Union. Once you meet people, I'm sure you'll set up your own nights out to many of the bars and clubs in Sheffield! It's a nice city! Hope you enjoy!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd try and look for another exchange student to rent for a year together as university accommodation for semester exchange students is rather expensive at Sheffield, or ideally stay here for the whole year as then you can go into university halls at a reasonable price and you'll be mixed with freshers rather than other semester abroad students (and so you'll be a bit better off socially).

For meeting people try societies and residence life events, we also have a thing called Give it a Go which is a good way to start new things. And buy a thick coat when you get here, it'll be 15-25C though September and October but towards the end of your stay it'll be hovering around 0C, get some shoes which have a decent amount of grip as well in case it snows.

ReputationRep:
    I have relatives in Aus and they always find it very cold here and chilly even in summer. As cold weather clothes are bulky, pack what you can and be prepared to buy more when you get here. You're likely to encounter snow in Sheffield - I used to get all the seasons in one day when I was visiting a b/f there! Waterproof footwear/coat are a must - you'll definitely be rained on regularly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.