Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ez?!

aha those people at edexcel's maths department need a bit of a consitency check. that paper was frighteningly easy, some places in that paper where you were given masses of space for simple 2 step solutions and then tiny spaces for the more involved one. an example would have to be that binomial distribution one at the end, i got 0.145 for that btw :)) damn, if only that paper was part of the normal maths gcse i might stand a chance of getting more than a B overall i recon :[

one thing i found a bit homo was the histogram, seeing as it wasn't equally distributed. think you had to work out the % represented or something by your shaded area. got the shading right apparently, but i jumped to the fact i'd learnt that in a evenly distributed curve 95% is two standard deviations, this is not the case in a skewed one!! ah well, was only a coupla marks.

discuss :)

ReputationRep:
    yeah i didn't think it was too bad, although i didn't get how to do the last binomial question, and what did you get for the histogram where it said how much does the shaded part represent? i also didn't know what a census was, and i didn't know how they got 40seconds for the standrd deviation, but other than that it wasn't too bad. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starcrossed)
    yeah i didn't think it was too bad, although i didn't get how to do the last binomial question, and what did you get for the histogram where it said how much does the shaded part represent? i also didn't know what a census was, and i didn't know how they got 40seconds for the standrd deviation, but other than that it wasn't too bad. :rolleyes:
    the binominal was hard granted, especially if you hadn't revised it. it was especially gay this time because you were given p and n in part a, but the formula in part b used terms p and q. essentially, q is n in part b, hard to see the relationship if you hadn't done it before.

i put 95% for the shaded area, which is true when a normal distribution is present. 95% of observations lie between 2 standard deviations of the mean, unfortunatly the histogram we had was skewed slightly to the left, positevly, didn't register that at the time tho :/

standard deviation too me bloody ages too. got it in the end tho :)) perhaps like me you got muddled up at the fx^2 bit. since you'd filled in fx on the 3rd column of that table i assume (to work out mean), you then did the square of those numbers in the last column. unfortunatly that doesn't work, fx^2 is f(x^2), which means you cant just square the last column.

oh ye and a census is a survey of the entire population (i think/hope!), i'm just glad we got given that 200 odd page edexcel textbook, made useful reading the day before :))

ReputationRep:
    oh that seems pretty obvious for the historam can't beleive i didn't get it. were there any questions that u thought was hard or you didn't get, i didn't like the explaining ones very much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starcrossed)
    oh that seems pretty obvious for the historam can't beleive i didn't get it. were there any questions that u thought was hard or you didn't get, i didn't like the explaining ones very much?
    ye lol i'm not a fan of the explaining ones either. you had to explain why you should run a pilot survey first, for which i just said something on the lines of to check for any ambiguities and to make sure the responses recieved were the kind you wanted.

you had to explain why it was impractical to test every can of baked beans for quality control. i put cus that would take bloody ages, and the fact it's impossible to do because if you test the contents of every can you have to open every can - none left to sell!

you had to explain why the value (42?) was an outlier, which was simple LQ - (1.5 x IQR).

there were a coupla others too i know, straightforward things like basic random sampling and systematic sampling.

ah, that graph one where you plot meanx/y onto the scatter graph then draw line of best fit. i got 0.8 for my gradient and 3.8 i think for the intercept. mate got somethin like 3.3 for his intercept yet the same gradient which seems weird, but either way it was done by eye so it's hard to give the right answer.

ya had to work out the mark that that girl got in science i think it was, so you just substituted it into the stndardised score formula of score-mean/sd and i thinnk it was 57.something

ReputationRep:
    yeah i got the same 4 the gradient and y intercept but i think i got the same for the standardised score aswell. i didn't think it was as bad as i thought it was going to b, although quite a lot of the people in my school came out saying that it was one of the hardest exam they had dun. i can't believe that i mucked up the histogram question though.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, wat did u get 4 the base year one, part b? i wasn't sure what they wanted so i jst but 100 and 98 put it seems wrong.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, wat did u get 4 the base year one, part b? i wasn't sure what they wanted so i jst but 100 and 98 put it seems wrong.
    i put 1 and 0.98 :o

dunno dont have my stats textbook anymore, so i'm assuming it just depends on what you put as your base number

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.