Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    So term ends 18th March for the Easter period.. For me at my University this means that I won't have any lectures when I return after Easter, as all my modules are coming to an end next week. So some lecturers will put on revision sessions after Easter, although I much prefer to revise in my own time.

    It's so close to the end of the year but my family back home have been going through some really tough times and there's a serious illness in my close family. I need to go back home. Has anyone been in this situation and gone through extenuating circumstances?

    My plan (in my head) was to go home next week, and not come back to my halls of residence after Easter and just travel back here for my exams in May. I know with extenuating circumstances you have to provide evidence, but how can I provide this kind of evidence?
    Reason being, I won't be here in my halls after the Easter period, and I don't want to pay for the halls while I'm back with my family as financially that isn't easy.. If anyone has been in a similar situation I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

    Thanks guys!

    Your uni should be able to tell you what information they would require. You will bneed to speak to the uni to ask what you can do about not paying for halls too.

    I am really sorry you're going through these difficult times. Ultimately you should speak to a tutor or someone at the university to see what support is out there. There is nothing they haven't heard before and will know exactly what you need to do and what support is out there for you.

    I'm not sure about the halls as you're in binding contract with your University, but the extenuating circumstances should be fairly easy to navigate - just get in touch with your department head/academic tutor and find out what they need.
    Usually they may ask your family to contact them to explain the situation/verify it but they are really understanding and will be happy to help.
    I hope the situation gets better and you get the support you need from the Uni xx
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.