The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Employability At Lancaster (Business School)

I'm considering attending Lancaster in September of this year for the Advertising and Marketing course. I love the university, but I'm very, very worried about employability.

My course doesn't include a year in industry you see, and that's something I feel would make me much more appealing to employers. (But taking a gap year for a placement doesn't sound very appealing).

So, to all the business students (whether your course has a year in industry or not) what kind of support do Lancaster offer in terms of work experience and employability and do they actually help in finding a job when graduating?

I have emailed the careers and employability department but am yet to receive a reply, and frankly I'm getting pretty desperate to choose a firm and insurance university.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by odetosleep
I'm considering attending Lancaster in September of this year for the Advertising and Marketing course. I love the university, but I'm very, very worried about employability.

My course doesn't include a year in industry you see, and that's something I feel would make me much more appealing to employers. (But taking a gap year for a placement doesn't sound very appealing).

So, to all the business students (whether your course has a year in industry or not) what kind of support do Lancaster offer in terms of work experience and employability and do they actually help in finding a job when graduating?

I have emailed the careers and employability department but am yet to receive a reply, and frankly I'm getting pretty desperate to choose a firm and insurance university.

Thanks in advance!
Lancaster has a highly rated business school and as such will be well networked into the job market for its graduates. As a university more generally, Lancaster has a good reputation. As far as employability goes, this is very much something that is down to you even more than it is to the uni - it's what you make of/do with the opportunities you will be offered.

There is no rush to make your firm and insurance choices - you have at least until early May. Come July, the numbers of people who regret rushing their decisions will be very clear to you, so take your time, especially if you are waiting for a response from the uni to a question that matters particularly to you :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I've got an offer for the same course, don't worry it does include a year in industry in what would be your third year! All courses in the business school offer an industry year, however it is optional and so that's why they don't include it in some of the descriptions of the course.
NatalieUK, that is wrong.
There are many programmes in the business school that have an industrial placement, but even more that do not. In my first year at Lancaster I lived with a guy doing marketing and entrepreneurship who thought he had a placement, but didn't.
It was something like his course code was L556 and the one with a placement was L557.

But, take it from someone who has just graduated from Lancaster (who didn't get an industrial placement), the careers service at Lancaster is amazing and have helped me in finding jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest