Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve currently got funded PhD offers from LSE (LSEStudentship) and Leeds (ESRC). I know I’ve been super-lucky and this is very much first world problems and all….but I’m hoping for some insights from people who’ve lived and studied at either place, as they’re obviously two very different options.

I’ve previously studied at Manchester and UCL, so I have very little experience of either uni. I’ve had more contact with my potential supervisor at Leeds (she’s great) but actually went for an interview at LSE (also great).

My PhD is going to be on gender, young people and technology. It’s based at the Gender Institute at LSE and the Sociology department at Leeds. Again, quite different options.

I guess the core of my dilemma is about quality of life. I’ve lived in London for a year and absolutely loved it, but I was working full-time and pretty healthy financially. At 28, and with a boyfriend and dog in tow, I’mjust not convinced that I want to spend three or four PhD years being(relatively!) skint in London and living in a shoebox. I know a few people who’ve really struggled with the mental health side of PhDs and so it’s very important to me that I live somewhere that I’m happy and comfortable.

In fact, if I chose LSE, for a multitude of reasons it looks like we’d only live in London for the first year or so, and then move out somewhere smaller. But of course, then I’d not be as connected to the academic environment, and might struggle to be really involved in university life,seminars, events etc. Would that be a big problem? Or by that stage in the PhD is everyone less connected anyway? I don’t know.

So – all this sounds potentially pro-Leeds. On top of which,since the funding there is from the ESRC, there are already good connections toa wider research community and teaching opportunities built in – the LSEfunding is internal (though there’s more money available).

But – it’s LSE. I’m very excited by what I’d be part of there. Its academic reputation is (obviously) incredible, and there are some amazing gender-focused scholars there too. Plus, with the academic jobs fieldas it is, although I’d love to end up working in academia, there’s every chance I might not…in which case I suspect that LSE will be a better name on my CV. And even a year living in London would be FUN! I miss it.

Anyone got any specific insights into either department or university? What would you do? What did you do?

I also have offers from a few other places, including Warwick, Sussex and York, and will hear about funding in mid-April. So the field might open up even more.

Again, I realise I’ve been incredibly lucky, and what a lovely decision to have to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sezrah)
    I’ve currently got funded PhD offers from LSE (LSEStudentship) and Leeds (ESRC). I know I’ve been super-lucky and this is very much first world problems and all….but I’m hoping for some insights from people who’ve lived and studied at either place, as they’re obviously two very different options.

I’ve previously studied at Manchester and UCL, so I have very little experience of either uni. I’ve had more contact with my potential supervisor at Leeds (she’s great) but actually went for an interview at LSE (also great).

My PhD is going to be on gender, young people and technology. It’s based at the Gender Institute at LSE and the Sociology department at Leeds. Again, quite different options.

I guess the core of my dilemma is about quality of life. I’ve lived in London for a year and absolutely loved it, but I was working full-time and pretty healthy financially. At 28, and with a boyfriend and dog in tow, I’mjust not convinced that I want to spend three or four PhD years being(relatively!) skint in London and living in a shoebox. I know a few people who’ve really struggled with the mental health side of PhDs and so it’s very important to me that I live somewhere that I’m happy and comfortable.

In fact, if I chose LSE, for a multitude of reasons it looks like we’d only live in London for the first year or so, and then move out somewhere smaller. But of course, then I’d not be as connected to the academic environment, and might struggle to be really involved in university life,seminars, events etc. Would that be a big problem? Or by that stage in the PhD is everyone less connected anyway? I don’t know.

So – all this sounds potentially pro-Leeds. On top of which,since the funding there is from the ESRC, there are already good connections toa wider research community and teaching opportunities built in – the LSEfunding is internal (though there’s more money available).

But – it’s LSE. I’m very excited by what I’d be part of there. Its academic reputation is (obviously) incredible, and there are some amazing gender-focused scholars there too. Plus, with the academic jobs fieldas it is, although I’d love to end up working in academia, there’s every chance I might not…in which case I suspect that LSE will be a better name on my CV. And even a year living in London would be FUN! I miss it.

Anyone got any specific insights into either department or university? What would you do? What did you do?

I also have offers from a few other places, including Warwick, Sussex and York, and will hear about funding in mid-April. So the field might open up even more.

Again, I realise I’ve been incredibly lucky, and what a lovely decision to have to make.
    I would go for LSE.
    There is a massive gap between their reputations. Going to LSE will lead up to probably better jobs in future as well I assume.

(If this doesnt help you as an answer, then at least it will bring your thread higher in the list because someone replied to it, so others might also see it and reply )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.