Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend just attended at interview at a university. She was asked to do a presentation but got scared so went home. Is there anything I can do or say to her to help her either feel better, or go back and try again?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Did she know she was going to be asked to do a presentation or did they just spring it on her?
    Does she really wnat to o there?

If I was her I woul contact the uni or get her parent to contact them. they can explain she just had a real bout of nerves, but as she really wnats to go there, could she have the opportunity of an interview or to do the presentation again.

Presentations can be scary for some , but the way past them is to understand what they are looking for, prepare and practice. I doubt theres much you cna do other than be supportive as the key to solving the problem is to have made a decent effort to pass the presentation. Recriminations are pointless, so if they really wnat to go then a rearrangement would give them a second chance. They should try not to worry.

ReputationRep:
    I would just remind her of other good options she has and what she's learnt for next time. It's over and done with now and to be honest I doubt the uni will let her 'try again' or anything unless she has some sort of diagnosed anxiety disorder and asks to be considered as a disabled applicant
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I would just remind her of other good options she has and what she's learnt for next time. It's over and done with now and to be honest I doubt the uni will let her 'try again' or anything unless she has some sort of diagnosed anxiety disorder and asks to be considered as a disabled applicant
    If you dont ask you dont get. I' completely fancy my chances of getting a rearranged date, so no need to give up until they say no. Dont think she has yo have a disorder at all. Its only a uni application not an interview to be an astronaught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Did she know she was going to be asked to do a presentation or did they just spring it on her?
    Does she really wnat to o there?

If I was her I woul contact the uni or get her parent to contact them. they can explain she just had a real bout of nerves, but as she really wnats to go there, could she have the opportunity of an interview or to do the presentation again.

Presentations can be scary for some , but the way past them is to understand what they are looking for, prepare and practice. I doubt theres much you cna do other than be supportive as the key to solving the problem is to have made a decent effort to pass the presentation. Recriminations are pointless, so if they really wnat to go then a rearrangement would give them a second chance. They should try not to worry.

She didn't know she was going to do a presentation but it was on a letter she got from the uni; she just didn't read it properly. I've asked and she said she doesn't really want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh12233)
    She didn't know she was going to do a presentation but it was on a letter she got from the uni; she just didn't read it properly. I've asked and she said she doesn't really want to go there.
    If she doesn't want to go there then there's no need to try again. Plus the university probably wouldn't want somebody who doesn't even read the instructions for an interview properly - what does that say about their future assignments?

I'd encourage her to focus on the universities that she does want to go to and remind her that it's not really a loss if she didn't want to go there in the first place, although I suppose she could just be saying that to save face.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by niamh12233)
    If she didnt wnat to go there when why bother turning up? Theres a possibility she's covering up over the embarrassment of being caught out. The key is to get them to offer you a place and then have it within your choice as to whether to accept or decline.

It seems a bit lazy and a shame if there was a chance she was interested, to then let this opportunity get past her becayse of a panic and an oversight.

Imo if she wnated to go there (she has to be honst about it and not just a reaction from the day), then she should contact them and explain. I believe if they have further dates then thers a good chance she could be given another try or an interview. I'd fancy my chances of arranging one. If she wnats to downtalk the place or genuinely didnt wnat to go, then she doesnt ahve anything to be down about and you have no need to be concerned for your friend. I'd take that with a pinch of salt though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.