The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb

You haven't received a dick pic yet.

Thanks god no ! And I hope I wont :O !

Original post by Hydeman
Still, it will deter future creeps. :tongue: Let me know if you need help setting up a whitelist (that way you can turn off VMs for everyone except the people you want to hear from).

Yes that's a good idea !! Idk how do to that , can you PM me ? Please :h:
Original post by Hydeman

Apparently it used to be a lot like Facebook-type dating website in its early days (~2003). :innocent: But yeah, it's now supposed to be more academic, so it would be nice if the creeps would kindly bugger off to a proper dating site where people would actually welcome their attention.

G'night. :h:

Ewwww .. O____O

Original post by Hydeman

And you have? :lolwut:

hahaha omg :lol:
Coucouuuuuuu !
Tonight part 3 :h: Today, it's about burn out, and "prépas privées. I'm starting with this one :P

Les prépas privées !
What it is ? Officially, private organizations, created to help student to improve.
Unofficially, people who play with your stress to make money.
What are they for ? First you need to know that in lessons, the teachers will never answer a question in the amphi, that's for equality (that's the law about the concours, because not all students are going to lessons, and teachers don't wanna have issues with the police -yeah complicated- ). Whatever.

The prépas are here to answer your questions. They also give lessons in the most difficult subjects, and you can ask as much questions as you want to, which I have to admit, is really cool. Like REALLY cool. But if students are paying for it, that's not because of that. That's because of the sheets they give. They litteraly ARE GOLD.
Because in our official books sometimes it's really confusing, and in physics for example we don't have any books. That's a huuuuuuuuge good point for the prépas.
They also organize mock exams, and those mocks have a wonderful quality and not a lot of faults in them (with the mocks organized by the students of year 2, they are often some faults and when you don't learn as good as you are supposed to, you can't see the faults and you're screwed.) Anyway.

Prépas have good points. But. But they are not free of charge !
An other thing you need to know, the price I'll give wont sounds high to you, because in UK studies are really expensive, but in here med studies are free of charge, and some students can't afford the prépas, and the banks don't give loans just for that.
They are different prépas. 3 are famous , and they are the "best". One of them is the most famous, the most expensive, and the best tho. What are the prices ? It starts at 2000€ (£1555) for the year, and the best one is almost 6000€ (£4666) the year. It's really expensive for a med student.

My opinion. My choice.
What's wrong with the prépas ? Well, they are so expensive that not all the 2500 students can afford them, and the prépas can really help you to improve. If you have money. Unfair hah ?
But that's the way it is. And nobody can change that.
Also, to advertise, they are like "you NEEEEED US TO SUCCEED" that's not true. It's all about deal with your time, I know a girl who took a prépa and was the 2100th. I also know people who never took prépas and were in the 331. It's all about you.

But when you are stressed out etc, it can be rassuring. A lot of students have a prépa, I'll say .. 800 ? Something like that.
I hate this system that's so unfair.
You need to know an other thing. I could afford it, I could afford the best. My dad wanted me to go to the prépa, to have the best chance of succeed. I thought about it a lot. Because I don't care about the courses, but the sheets.. They are awesome.
I did not take one.
Because I had friends who could not afford it, that was not fair. Not at all..So here is what I did.

Some students of year 2 who had a prépa sale for a good price their own sheets. I could have all the sheets of whole year for 150€ (£116). THAT was fair. Because if I ever win, it wont be because of my dad's money. And I decided to share my sheets for free. That was fair.
I know it was a concours , but what could I do ? I could not even think about the idea of if I ever go to year 2, it would be because I kinda cheated. Never. That was not me.
Failure with justice is better than a cheater's success. -Careful, those who pass worked hard, even with a prépa. I just want to insist on the fact that this help in not good for equality.-
The thing is, whatever I did, the system was still unfair. I did my best, but I can't take care of 1500 students. I had better to do ..

My first burn out.
Yeah it happened. You don't know what burn out means, until it happens to you. How ?
When you stop going to lessons to gain time.
When you stop eating to gain time.
When you stop sleeping to gain time.
When you start falling asleep during your work.
You don't wanna believe something is wrong with you.
Deep inside you know it. You just think you are gonna make it to the end.
"I'll sleep later"
"I'll eat later"
"I have to gain places"
"Don't forget the rating"
"The rating"
"THE RATING !"
And you faint.
At first, You don't even know you fainted, because you fainted on your desk, on your work. You just get up "oh I'm a bit tired" you know what happened.
You lie to yourself.
And the following day, you don't hear your alarm. You wake up 3h later, and you have this sentation of.. You are sick. You go to the bathroom and you vomit.
And you start falling asleep everywhere. You are so tired you can't hear the sounds sometimes -that's a terrible feeling- You go to sleep.
You sleep 2 entire days.
You have nightmares about the rating.
You feel sleepy and starving, but you can't eat. And worst YOU CAN'T WORK.
Wait what's the date today ?
One week before the exam. S.H.I.T.You get up. You get your books in your bed, and you start working , in bed. You fall asleep. And this voice in your head "is it too late for me ?"
NO.
No it's not.
You eat, because your mum worries. You don't vomit this time. Good. Your mum forces you to go to the doctor. Well. You're anemic..
Whatever, the rating is more important.
It is.
It is.
IT ****ING IS !
Right ..?

You pass your following week between sleep and work, and iron pills, and you never been so stressed of your entire life. and you cry. You cry. A lot.
The day D is coming.
The day D is coming.
The day D is coming.
I have to be the best.
I have to.
I have to.
Don't give up. A few days and you will sleep. A few days. Keep going.And then, this little voice again. Two days before the exam.
"You wanna heal people right ? Have you ever seen before a doctor who does not wanna heal himself"
Shut up voice. Shut up.
SHUT UP !
My moment is coming.
It's coming.
I can handle it.
I can.
I can.

Can I ?

Thanks for reading :heart:

The next time will be about the day D ! And how were my vacations -sleeeeep- and the wait of the results :h:

@CleverSquirrel @Amellia123 @Matrix123 @Andy98 @ServantOfMorgoth @Kyx @Hydeman @Impressive @Ethereal World @z33 @Indieboohoo1 @iEthan @hideNfreak @JBLondon @Metrododo @apronedsamurai @davros1996 @ForestShadow @tilray @flyingpanda @Boss_Rhythm
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 242
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
x

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WHat IS THIS CLIFFHANGER
:eek: :eek: :cry:
Original post by z33
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WHat IS THIS CLIFFHANGER
:eek: :eek: :cry:

:lol: :lol: you'll know everything the next time :wink: I promise I wont be long to post :hugs:
Reply 244
:lol: :lol: you'll know everything the next time :wink: I promise I wont be long to post :hugs:

okay! don't do that to me again :unimpressed: :lol: you're a good writer! :biggrin: :jumphug:
Original post by z33
okay! don't do that to me again :unimpressed: :lol: you're a good writer! :biggrin: :jumphug:

Omg you're doing your Alexion with this : :unimpressed: :lol:
Aw thanks :love:
Reply 246

ahaha yeah his signature emoji @Alexion
np :biggrin: you should look into the creative corner and write stories every once in a while *__* :smile:
Original post by z33
np :biggrin: you should look into the creative corner and write stories every once in a while *__* :smile:

What a compliment :cry2: thannnnnnk youuuuu :cry2: I'm not good at inventing stories tho :lol:

Yeaaaaay Frozie cooooome !!

:unimpressed:

:nyan:

Original post by z33

I'm so glad that I'm synonymous with :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Original post by Alexion
I'm so glad that I'm synonymous with :unimpressed:

Spoiler

:lol: I imagine your face like that :lol: you should post a pic like that in the pic thread you know :lol:
You're so awesome with this writing Frenchie 😚 :hug: @FrenchUnicorn
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
You're so awesome with this writing Frenchie 😚 :hug: @FrenchUnicorn

Thank youuu :love: and thanks for reading me :h: 😽😽
:lol: I imagine your face like that :lol: you should post a pic like that in the pic thread you know :lol:

Spoiler

Original post by Alexion

Spoiler

HAHAHAH ! Perfect :lol:

Spoiler

Original post by Alexion

Spoiler

That's a fine head of hair you've got. :smile:
Original post by Alexion

Spoiler

Omg this is so funny 😂😂😂😂😂
x

Wow! It sure is a lot harder than I imagined to begin with. It was so kind of you to constantly think of equality and give out free sheets.:top: You clearly went through so much with all of the stress - and I can only start to think of the extra difficulty that came with finding out you're anemic. I was scrolling through the last bit so quickly to find out what happened but you left it on a cliffhanger! This was beautifully written, yet again, and I look forward to reading your next post. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
Wow! It sure is a lot harder than I imagined to begin with. It was so kind of you to constantly think of equality and give out free sheets.:top: You clearly went through so much with all of the stress - and I can only start to think of the extra difficulty that came with finding out you're anemic. I was scrolling through the last bit so quickly to find out what happened but you left it on a cliffhanger! This was beautifully written, yet again, and I look forward to reading your next post. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank youuu ! :hugs:
It was really difficult yes, the thing is I went a bit to far , we can succeed without messing up with our health, I just did not find the good way to work at this time.
That's why I had to retake my year actually , I think I was confused between quality and quantity of work !

Thanks for the thing about the sheets, yes that was to unfair all these things about money --"

Haha yep the cliffhanger ;D
Thanks for reading me :love:
Thank youuu ! :hugs:
It was really difficult yes, the thing is I went a bit to far , we can succeed without messing up with our health, I just did not find the good way to work at this time.
That's why I had to retake my year actually , I think I was confused between quality and quantity of work !

Thanks for the thing about the sheets, yes that was to unfair all these things about money --"

Haha yep the cliffhanger ;D
Thanks for reading me :love:

You're welcome! :hugs:

Aww that's a shame. Well, at least you know it now :wink:

You're welcome! I know - some people don't have access to it purely down to money...so unfair.

You're welcome :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
You're welcome! :hugs:

Aww that's a shame. Well, at least you know it now :wink:

You're welcome! I know - some people don't have access to it purely down to money...so unfair.

You're welcome :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest