The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Awww really ? I did not know about that I thought the competitivity was occuring during college only, well I bet JBLondon will be fine :3

The ranking isn't as important in the early years, but your final year ranking is important in terms of which foundation training posts you can get into.

As for being thrown out, I'm pretty sure it's down to the discretion of individual medical schools -- most places will allow retakes of professional qualifying exams, but there's usually a limit to the number of times they can be retaken. To put it simply: it's not competitive in the same way as entry into medical school, but it's not a 'now I'm in, I can just fail everything and still qualify as a doctor in the end' deal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
The ranking isn't as important in the early years, but your final year ranking is important in terms of which foundation training posts you can get into.

As for being thrown out, I'm pretty sure it's down to the discretion of individual medical schools -- most places will allow retakes of professional qualifying exams, but there's usually a limit to the number of times they can be retaken. To put it simply: it's not competitive in the same way as entry into medical school, but it's not a 'now I'm in, I can just fail everything and still qualify as a doctor in the end' deal.

Okay I see.. I understand ^^ that's med studies anyway so the students have to work and be good, but that's not because they're already in that they could just let it go etc.. Okay okay I see ! Sounds like a better system that in France tho :P

Edit : thanks for taking the time to explain me :h:
Interesting
Original post by Andy98
Interesting

Thanks for reading :h:
Thanks for reading :h:

PRSOM
Reply 105
Why am I 6th?

At least you made up 600 places :redface:
Best race ever! :wink:
Original post by Kyx
Why am I 6th?

At least you made up 600 places :redface:
Best race ever! :wink:

Thank you :h:

Omg Idk :lol: :hugs:
Wow, @FrenchUnicorn ! This is fantastic second post! I can't believe how busy your days were and everything you had to go through! I understand a bit of how you felt at school...not nice. :hugs: I can't wait to read your next post!
Original post by Matrix123
Wow, @FrenchUnicorn ! This is fantastic second post! I can't believe how busy your days were and everything you had to go through! I understand a bit of how you felt at school...not nice. :hugs: I can't wait to read your next post!

Thank youuu I'm glaaad you like it :biggrin: :hugs: :hugs:

Yep school was weird, that was great tho, I was that kind of popular person etc , but always felt a bit .. different ^^
My days were crazy --" but that was not a good thing, I could not stand it too long, you'll understand in my next post :wink:
Thanks again for reading !! <3
Reply 109
This is interesting I should move to France :eek: xD
Original post by z33

Thanks for reading :hugs:<3
You like this system :3 ?
Reply 111
Thanks for reading :lol: <3
You like this system :3 ?

Np :biggrin: <3
yeah i like the idea of everyone having a chance no matter the grades... maybe I'd have a chance :lol:
sleeping 6 hours and eatin in 30 mins... i do that anyway tbh xD so it won't hurt :tongue:
idk how it would be tho since im international... or EU at most xD
Original post by z33
Np :biggrin: <3
yeah i like the idea of everyone having a chance no matter the grades... maybe I'd have a chance :lol:
sleeping 6 hours and eatin in 30 mins... i do that anyway tbh xD so it won't hurt :tongue:
idk how it would be tho since im international... or EU at most xD

Yes having a chance to go to the med school is a wonderful thing !! That's the good point I guess, oh and also !! How could I forget .. It's totally FREE OF CHARGE. Except the inscription who cost me 400€ ( around 310£) and that's really good !
The bad point is that the numerus clausus is really restrictive :s-smilie:

You wanna do med studies ? :smile: unless you already do ?
You're so inspiring Frenchie!!
Reading your blog motivates me to work harder and i can relate to some of the stuff you've been through!!! You write soo well and i can't wait till your next instalment!! <3 :hugs:
Original post by CleverSquirrel
You're so inspiring Frenchie!!
Reading your blog motivates me to work harder and i can relate to some of the stuff you've been through!!! You write soo well and i can't wait till your next instalment!! <3 :hugs:

I'm so touched when someone says I'm inspiring :'D thanks Little Squirrel :hugs: :hugs:
Thank youuu I'm glaaad you like it :biggrin: :hugs: :hugs:

Yep school was weird, that was great tho, I was that kind of popular person etc , but always felt a bit .. different ^^
My days were crazy --" but that was not a good thing, I could not stand it too long, you'll understand in my next post :wink:
Thanks again for reading !! <3

You're welcome. :hugs:

Awww OK, I really can't wait now! :biggrin:
Original post by z33

Haha ikr! :tongue:
Reply 116
Yes having a chance to go to the med school is a wonderful thing !! That's the good point I guess, oh and also !! How could I forget .. It's totally FREE OF CHARGE. Except the inscription who cost me 400€ ( around 310£) and that's really good !
The bad point is that the numerus clausus is really restrictive :s-smilie:

You wanna do med studies ? :smile: unless you already do ?

It is :eek: what is this, Heaven?!?
I was on and off about it really :redface: I would've liked it open to me as an option but right now? I'm heading for like UUU in my A levels xDDD and my GCSEs ain't something to be proud of either so meh
Original post by Matrix123
You're welcome. :hugs:

Awww OK, I really can't wait now! :biggrin:

Haha ikr! :tongue:

PRSOM :hugs:
Original post by z33
It is :eek: what is this, Heaven?!?
I was on and off about it really :redface: I would've liked it open to me as an option but right now? I'm heading for like UUU in my A levels xDDD and my GCSEs ain't something to be proud of either so meh

Irk .. Both heaven and hell :P
I have to admit that in France , the thing I like about studies, are that it's often free of charge (not all the time, but science uni or med school are totally free of charge for example) and that's a good point :h:

I wish you the best then !!! <3 :hugs: I ****ing hope you'll get what you want :cool:
Helloooo <3 !

Me again :3 Today, part 2 !

Awee thanks for tagging me! <3 :kissing2:

I told my friend about the way the French system works for medicine, because of your posts and she was so shocked at how Hunger Games-esque it all is.

This next part was so interesting to read, and its was great that you explained more about the French system. I can sympathise with the multiple-choice exam questions, as we've now got them in our A Levels and they are always the hardest part of the exam, with each question taking a lot longer to work out than it's actually worth (usually one mark). And the intense amount of work you did for it was... intense. :eek3:

Did you at some point burn out from all the hours you had to spend working?
(Not gonna lie, this whole system is beginning to sound scarier and scarier. :sadnod: You poor soul.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending