Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Irk .. Both heaven and hell :P
    I have to admit that in France , the thing I like about studies, are that it's often free of charge (not all the time, but science uni or med school are totally free of charge for example) and that's a good point

I wish you the best then !!! <3 :hugs: I ****ing hope you'll get what you want :cool:
    Awhhh yeah!
    Thanks i ****ing hope so too :lol: and I hope you get what you want as well!

(Original post by flyingpanda)
    Awee thanks for tagging me! <3 :kissing2:

I told my friend about the way the French system works for medicine, because of your posts and she was so shocked at how Hunger Games-esque it all is.

This next part was so interesting to read, and its was great that you explained more about the French system. I can sympathise with the multiple-choice exam questions, as we've now got them in our A Levels and they are always the hardest part of the exam, with each question taking a lot longer to work out than it's actually worth (usually one mark). And the intense amount of work you did for it was... intense. :eek3:

Did you at some point burn out from all the hours you had to spend working?
    (Not gonna lie, this whole system is beginning to sound scarier and scarier. :sadnod: You poor soul.)
    Np <3

Thanks for reading

Yes I had a big big burn out, that's also the reason why I became a doublant, I could not handle the pressure the day D (I'll write about it, but I'll tell you one or two things, I was so tired I felt asleep during the exam.. To be continued :P !)

And I had a depression too, but that was during my semester 2 (I'll talk about it later too ^^)

To detail a bit more, after 2 months of hard working I was crying every single day due to pressure, sometime I was just working and crying at the same time, scary I know.. I became really emotional during this time :lol:

Also ! That's MY STORY ! I mean that's hard, and for a lot of students, I'll say it's really awful for 80% of us.. But there are some students who deal with it really quickly and who are pretty fine (pretty rare to do a first year of med studies in here withtout having a bad moment tho)

(Original post by z33)
    Awhhh yeah!
    Thanks i ****ing hope so too :lol: and I hope you get what you want as well!
    Thanks !! <3 bon courage à nous deux (good luck for both of us, in case of you don't study french :3 )

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !! <3 bon courage à nous deux (good luck for both of us, in case of you don't study french :3 )
    i don't :lol: thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I know all about the PACES, my brother is doing it in France, he tells me all about it - that's when he gets time to talk to me!

ReputationRep:
    Which fac do you study in btw?

(Original post by MBFP)
    Oh I know all about the PACES, my brother is doing it in France, he tells me all about it - that's when he gets time to talk to me!
    Oh really ?? Where does he study ?

(Original post by MBFP)
    Which fac do you study in btw?
    In Paris VI ! (Pierre et Marie Curie, Sorbonne Université) do you know it ? (I dropped out :P)

ReputationRep:
    Np <3

Thanks for reading

Yes I had a big big burn out, that's also the reason why I became a doublant, I could not handle the pressure the day D (I'll write about it, but I'll tell you one or two things, I was so tired I felt asleep during the exam.. To be continued :P !)

And I had a depression too, but that was during my semester 2 (I'll talk about it later too ^^)

To detail a bit more, after 2 months of hard working I was crying every single day due to pressure, sometime I was just working and crying at the same time, scary I know.. I became really emotional during this time :lol:

Also ! That's MY STORY ! I mean that's hard, and for a lot of students, I'll say it's really awful for 80% of us.. But there are some students who deal with it really quickly and who are pretty fine (pretty rare to do a first year of med studies in here without having a bad moment tho)
    Woah. :hide:

I feel you bro. When I get stressed I get very emotional. As in, I have multiple breakdowns all in the span of a minute. This was something I only just discovered this year, while doing AS levels. :lazy:

I really admire your resilience about the whole thing though. You've worked so hard, and even though fate was, quite frankly a b**** to you, you've dealt with it all so gracefully. :yep:

FRENCHIES UNITE!!!! (Even though I am definitely nowhere close to ever being French. I just think it's a cute lil' phrase.) :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Oh really ?? Where does he study ?

In Paris VI ! (Pierre et Marie Curie, Sorbonne Université) do you know it ? (I dropped out :P)
    He's at the Lille one.. My brother probably knows it.. He says sometimes its funny in the amphiteatre with the doublants: "Treeemmmmbllleezzz Bizzzuuuuttteees"
    Do they do that in Paris as well?

(Original post by flyingpanda)
    Woah. :hide:

I feel you bro. When I get stressed I get very emotional. As in, I have multiple breakdowns all in the span of a minute. This was something I only just discovered this year, while doing AS levels. :lazy:

I really admire your resilience about the whole thing though. You've worked so hard, and even though fate was, quite frankly a b**** to you, you've dealt with it all so gracefully. :yep:

FRENCHIES UNITE!!!! (Even though I am definitely nowhere close to ever being French. I just think it's a cute lil' phrase.) :ahee:
    Thanks for the support it means a lot

Good luck for your AS levels !! I wish you the best

Hahaha you made my day :lol: frenchies unité ! *hi five* :lol:

(Original post by MBFP)
    He's at the Lille one.. My brother probably knows it.. He says sometimes its funny in the amphiteatre with the doublants: "Treeemmmmbllleezzz Bizzzuuuuttteees"
    Do they do that in Paris as well?
    :lol: :lol:

Haha no it's not happening in my med school, the doublants were really helping the primants !! That's kinda a tradition at PVI ^^ because even if 331 sounds really low, we have one of the biggest numerus clausus of Paris and around (it means when someone helps an other student , he does not loose places , get it ?)
    I wish all the best to your brother

ReputationRep:
    :lol: :lol:

Haha no it's not happening in my med school, the doublants were really helping the primants !! That's kinda a tradition at PVI ^^ because even if 331 sounds really low, we have one of the biggest numerus clausus of Paris and around (it means when someone helps an other student , he does not loose places , get it ?)
    I wish all the best to your brother
    lol thanks

ReputationRep:
    I really admire all the hard work you put in and not giving up

(Original post by hideNfreak)
    I really admire all the hard work you put in and not giving up
    Thaaaaank youuuu :hugs: :hugs: <3

FrenchUnicorn, at the risk of asking for spoilers, what are you studying now? You don't have to answer if you don't want to (or you can answer by PM if you think it ruins the story).

(Original post by Hydeman)
    FrenchUnicorn, at the risk of asking for spoilers, what are you studying now? You don't have to answer if you don't want to (or you can answer by PM if you think it ruins the story).
    PM
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    :hugs:

Bonus !

Here's what I had to deal with in 7 months you need to know that in year 2 we do half that work, year 1 is very very dense on purpose.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  524.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    I knew med school was brutal, but seeing all the schedule details for the first time is somewhat terrifying. I can't stand that a system will push students to skip lectures and such to save time, that goes agains everything true education stands for.
    I feel I need to get in touch with old friends currently doing it here, some have already dropped out, but I now feel I should send the ones still there a gift basket or something xD
    Great follow up! You write very well; I think it's important that people like yourself who went through an eduation system like that share their stories, hopefully one day it can change for the better

(Original post by davros1996)
    I knew med school was brutal, but seeing all the schedule details for the first time is somewhat terrifying. I can't stand that a system will push students to skip lectures and such to save time, that goes agains everything true education stands for.
    I feel I need to get in touch with old friends currently doing it here, some have already dropped out, but I now feel I should send the ones still there a gift basket or something xD
    Great follow up! You write very well; I think it's important that people like yourself who went through an eduation system like that share their stories, hopefully one day it can change for the better
    Med school is dense, but year 1 in here is very particular..
    And yeah you know over 2500 students, I'll say only 300 go to lessons each day .. (After one month tho, at first it's more like 1500)
    My schedule was a way to much work tho, an average student works more around 10h by day (I used to do more than 13 sometimes, and that was not good at all)

Thaaank youuu I'm glad you like

Hahaha I wish all the best to your friend !!

I hope it'll change yeah, to become more fair why not ^^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.