BLondecroft
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I need to know about current operations that the RAF is involved in. so whats happening in the world?
Ikaruss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Err, I'll be gentle, before others jump in and flame you! May I suggest you go to the RAF website, select the tab which says Current Operations, and read about all the current operations the RAF is involved in. Then, go to the BBC website (other news resources are available) and have a scan at what's going on around the world including the UK. Seemples. But if you haven't read, heard or seen the news for some time, you may need to start doing it quickly so that you're not embarrassed at your interview when they ask for your opinions. To set the ball rolling, have a look at anything to do with IS/ISIS/ Daesh , the EU referendum and the current migration crisis. Good luck.

I see what trade you're applying for, so your knowledge of current affairs may not need to be too in depth. But certainly get the main stories squared away. If you're joining the military it's always good to know what's happening. You'll be participating in the news rather than observing it. Where do you think the PM looks to when there's a crisis (eg floods, humanitarian) and the government needs to be seen to be doing something. You guessed it.
BLondecroft
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you. yeah i havent watched the news for a while as a close relative is serving away ATM so we go on the no news is good news idea.
Ikaruss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BLondecroft)
Thank you. yeah i havent watched the news for a while as a close relative is serving away ATM so we go on the no news is good news idea.
Understood. If you read a lot of the threads, you'll get an idea of the nature of the interview at the filter stage - they didn't have filter interviews when I joined, so unfortunately I can't comment on the process. But they've always wanted to know what you know about current affairs and how the news may impact on the military, so make sure you have a rough idea of the major issues of the day. They're not expecting you to have a top level view, just enough to prove you keep on top of things. Sometimes I wish the PM had a more strategic focus, but it's been a long time since any of our top ministers did, so if they can get it wrong, you should be allowed a bit of leeway!

PM me if you need any help.
Dagowly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Google Op SHADER.

Will hopefully give you an idea of what's happening right now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (232)
61.05%
No (79)
20.79%
Not sure (69)
18.16%

Watched Threads