Turn on thread page Beta

Donald Trump: 'I think Islam hates us' watch

ReputationRep:
    It is so stupid and wrong to claim that one gigantic, non-monolithic group of people uniformly hates another gigantic, non-monolithic group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Eating tons of pork ribs and bacon. :sogood:
    I ate liver and bacon for dinner last night; causing affront to Muslims, Jews, and Hindu's in one fell swoop (or one fell mouthful)

"Howz about that then?!" (As Jimmie Savile would have said)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I ate liver and bacon for dinner last night; causing affront to Muslims, Jews, and Hindu's in one fell swoop (or one fell mouthful)

"Howz about that then?!" (As Jimmie Savile would have said)
    I doubt they mind very much, unless you try and get them to eat the stuff.

That said, I don't like it when people flaunt their eating of "forbidden" foodstuffs in an attempt to piss off religious people. I get that sort of thing directed at me often enough as a vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Erm, no. It might be the case for Hindus (I don't know much about Hinduism) but it's physically impossible to have a violent/hateful Buddhist. My post on page 3 explains why. Here's a summary though: to be a Buddhist you must follow the teachings of the Buddha. Unlike other religions, the core of Buddhism explicitly says that all living creatures are equal regardless of the differences between them. It also says that all Buddhists must adopt pacifism and that all violent/negative thoughts or actions towards anything at all are wrong. Therefore, since this is at the core of Buddhism those who break it aren't actually Buddhists as they're going and doing the exact opposite of what the Buddha taught.
    Stop with your horseshit please, so many muslims were tortured in the genocide by the hands of buddhists in myanmar and also that animal/creature thing is *******s when they kill elephants for their ivory in order to carve their religious figures and symbols onto them.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf he's got a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luminarychild)
    Stop with your horseshit please, so many muslims were tortured in the genocide by the hands of buddhists in myanmar and also that animal/creature thing is *******s when they kill elephants for their ivory in order to carve their religious figures and symbols onto them.
    ...Like I keep saying, they weren't actually Buddhists. Have you even bothered to read up about Buddhism?

Here's the fundamentals, http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...truths_1.shtml

Here's the Metta Sutta, it's what Gautama Buddha said about loving others and being kind:

This is what should be done by one who is skilled in goodness and who knows the path of peace: let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech, humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied, unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm and wise and skillful. Not proud or demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove. Wishing in gladness and safety: may all beings be at ease. Whatever living things there may be. Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none. The great or the mighty, medium, short or small, the seen and the unseen, those living near and far away, those born and to be born, may all be at ease!

Let none deceive another, or despise any being in any state. Let none through anger or ill-will wish harm upon another. Even as a mother protects her child, her only child, with her life, so with a boundless heart should one cherish all living beings, radiating kindness over the entire world. Spreading upwards to the skies and downwards to the depths, outwards and unbounded, freed from hatred and ill-will. Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down. Free from drowsiness, one should sustain this recollection. This is said to be the sublime abiding. By not holding onto fixed views, the pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision, being free from all sense desires, is not born again into this world.

In order to be a Buddhist you must follow Gautama Buddha's teachings. If you go around killing people like those nutcases in Myanmar, you are breaking all of them - not just those in the Metta Sutta.

They may claim to be Buddhists, but that doesn't make them Buddhists. You can't actually follow a religion unless you follow its core teachings. If you don't uphold the five pillars of Islam then you aren't actually a Muslim, if you don't follow the teachings of Jesus then you aren't actually a Christian. The same applies to Buddhism as well.

As for things like ivory. Gautama Buddha didn't say it was wrong to own something made from an animal product, he just said it was wrong to hold any ill-will towards any living creature or to act violently towards them. That doesn't apply to people who aren't Buddhists, who are the ones who're actually harming the animal because they aren't Buddhists.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.