Posted from TSR Mobile
    True - I missed my chances when I was younger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    Be young and stupid while you can. You'll regret it otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    True - I missed my chances when I was younger

I'm afraid young and stupid isn't quite my style.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's put me right off I'm actually counting down the days until I leave. It is school related which I suppose doesn't really help with your question, so I'd say weigh up the pros and cons of going prom or focusing on the exam. Write them all down and see which reasons mean the most to you.

I hope you manage to decide and Good Luck for your exam
    Thank you very much, that's incredibly helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Assuming it's the same as it was when I took it, is one exam on the monday and one on the friday with no other exams in between? If so, and if it were me, I'd probably just do a lot of revision on the Tuesday, Wednesday and thursday morning, then go to the prom (maybe not the after party) and sit the exam on the friday
    I'll have to check that, but thank you anyhow!

Think of it like this

-Miss prom, get best grade for extra qualification

-Add another outstanding result to your results sheet

-Increase likelihood of getting into Oxbridge

- ~30x+ Balls, formals, parties etc available to go to every year for 3/4 years

-Fun fun fun

That's what I tell myself anyway to not feel sad about missing my own prom
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Think of it like this

-Fun fun fun

Why didn't you go to prom?

(Original post by brainzistheword)
    Why didn't you go to prom?
    Genuinely couldn't get there. School didn't hire a coach, parents were dicks and refused to drive me there. They wouldn't let me go with friends either at the same time

The venue was almost an hour away

Still get the pains lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by LogicalFallacy)
    It is a morning paper. Of course, I won't be drinking as I am underage. Skipping the afterparties is an option. I know it isn't massively useful, but I would still like the qualification.

EDIT: This sums it up pretty well.
    (Original post by Student403)
    Whilst I agree it isn't so useful, the fact that you will have an official grade that you must declare on UCAS says to me that OP should be going for the best grade he can possibly get instead of not caring so much just because of the "importance" of the qualification.
    If you really don't care about the exam, I guess you could just not sit it to get around the declaring a bad grade problem. (Not that I think any uni would see that as any better.)

I chose not to go to prom, and definitely wouldn't if I had an exam. Though if you think you would enjoy it, then I'm sure you'll be able to make time for revision before hand.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely couldn't get there. School didn't hire a coach, parents were dicks and refused to drive me there. They wouldn't let me go with friends either at the same time

Still get the pains lol
    WOW

If it makes you feel any better, if you're not a drinker, prom is terrible mostly :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster

Still get the pains lol
    Ah that's harsh - surely school should have done something to help - bit stupid on their part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    If you really didn't care about the exam, I guess you could just not sit it to get around the declaring a bad grade problem. (Not that I think any uni would see that as any better.)

I chose not to go to prom, and definitely wouldn't if I had an exam. Though if you think you would enjoy it, then I'm sure you'll be able to make time for revision before hand. You
    I don't think that's worth it if you've spent a good bit of time learning the material

Hi all,

I am currently in year 11 and studying my GCSEs. 6 students in my year were chosen to do a Level 3 Algebra exam, 4 of whom have already completed their Mathematics GCSE, and I am one of the two who have not. Thankfully, we all passed the Level 3 Algebra exam and now have been entered to do a Level 2 Further Maths exam.

However, as the title suggests, there is a minor problem. Prom night is the day before the second Further Maths exam (which is a more important exam than the first as it is worth 60% of the grade). Undoubtedly, there are going to be after-parties (though whether I go to them is a different matter) and, of course, the prom itself. Now, some people have told me that prom was a great way to end the torture of year 11 (despite the fact that I would still have more to endure afterwards, but that's beside the point) and I am currently in a relationship so it does mean that I have a date to prom.

My dilemma is that I will certainly need to be finalising my revision the night before the exams. This will be no different with the Level 2 Further Maths exam. Do I not go to prom at all? Do I go and leave early? Do I just go and not worry about it? To push it, do I just completely forget it all and go to the after-parties too? Your opinion would be welcome, as I am not alone in this position.

Many thanks.
    Hiya being in year 12, i honestly recommend not going to prom. Preperation for your maths exam is SO important, and on results day, you will NOT regret it AT ALL. I went prom at the end of year 11, but it was way after my exams and work experience, and if it was the day before an exam, i wouldnt have gone. After all, you will have another prom in yr 13 right? So you will be able to go to that
    (unless of course, you are 100% prepared for the exam, then i think u should just go fir it but come back early and get enough sleep)

ReputationRep:
    Think of it like this

-Fun fun fun

That's one way I have been thinking of it. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    If you really didn't care about the exam, I guess you could just not sit it to get around the declaring a bad grade problem. (Not that I think any uni would see that as any better.)

I chose not to go to prom, and definitely wouldn't if I had an exam. Though if you think you would enjoy it, then I'm sure you'll be able to make time for revision before hand.
    I do care about the exam, I'm afraid. Thank you for your input!

ReputationRep:
    Further maths always

Tbh even if it were in February or something, if you have the choice to spend the evening working on some exercises... Further maths. Always further maths. :cool: :yep:
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Anyway OP, I think it will be better if you did your further maths revision well before the exam (start now) and go to the prom. You'll be missing out a vital and memorable part of school life if you don't go to prom to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Further maths for sure in my opinion.

I definitely won't be going to my school's prom
    Why? Just revise earlier (the day before prom) and go to your prom. Why not start further maths revision now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Anyway OP, I think it will be better if you did your further maths revision well before the exam (start now) and go to the prom. You'll be missing out a vital and memorable part of school life if you don't go to prom to be honest.
    Ah okay, thank you very much for your input!

WOW

If it makes you feel any better, if you're not a drinker, prom is terrible mostly :rofl:
    Haha, my school was majority Muslim anyway so there wouldn't be much drinking involved either way
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Ah that's harsh - surely school should have done something to help - bit stupid on their part?
    Yeah, they would've but I didn't want to annoy them or anything tbh. Oh well, hopefully there'll be plenty of formal parties to come over the next few years, and I'll get many chances to dress up and all

That's one way I have been thinking of it. Thank you!
    Haha, Oxford or Cambridge? Which one are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    Think of it like this

-Fun fun fun

I don't see why you can't just get your revision done earlier and then go to the prom?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.