Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone,

I am sooo confused and stressed out at the moment. I'm an A level student studying AS Psychology, Geography and Business and A2 Sociology. I am retaking three of my AS levels - meaning that when I finish I should come out with 4 A2's and 2 AS's (Media studies: A, EPQ: yet to be completed). My predicted Grades are A*AAA for this year and I really would like to apply to Bath.

However, in my GCSE's I only managed to get 5 C grades in Maths, English, Science etc. due to personal circumstances which stopped me from doing better. Is there a possibility that Bath could still accept me? I have emailed them and they said that I should write about the personal circumstances in a reference when submitting my UCAS application this September. I just wanted some real advice and wondered if anyone got into Bath with C grades but good A levels?

Because I will come out of school with 4 A levels and 2 AS' (Media + EPQ) does that still give me a chance of being accepted onto the course? Should I retake my Maths exam in November in order to get it up to an A?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes they could still accept you. GCSEs really are not that important, after A levels nobody cares about them. If your referee explains your personal circumstances in their reference then I don't think you should worry about it. I didn't apply to Bath, but I did get into every university I applied to (including UCL) with 3 GCSEs (ACD). :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Yes they could still accept you. GCSEs really are not that important, after A levels nobody cares about them. If your referee explains your personal circumstances in their reference then I don't think you should worry about it. I didn't apply to Bath, but I did get into every university I applied to (including UCL) with 3 GCSEs (ACD). :lol:
    Ahhh I hope so!! It's like my fave uni and I really hope I get in! What did you apply for at uni?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by marcomilkovic)
    Ahhh I hope so!! It's like my fave uni and I really hope I get in! What did you apply for at uni?
    Modern Languages and History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Modern Languages and History.
    Ahh cool!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer. I do not work in the admissions department so I cannot say for certain if you will/ won't get in. However, a good set of A-levels, a good personal statement and any work experience is probably more important than GCSEs.

I would definitely say you should still apply, and judging by your A levels, you probably are around the standard they look for. The best thing to do is to send in the reference as requested. The admissions team will be dealing with a reasonable number of extenuating circumstances. They will review it fully and try and work out if your GCSEs were reasonable considering your situation. If they feel they were, then it shouldn't really affect your application.

All the best,

Rob

Hi there everyone,

I am sooo confused and stressed out at the moment. I'm an A level student studying AS Psychology, Geography and Business and A2 Sociology. I am retaking three of my AS levels - meaning that when I finish I should come out with 4 A2's and 2 AS's (Media studies: A, EPQ: yet to be completed). My predicted Grades are A*AAA for this year and I really would like to apply to Bath.

However, in my GCSE's I only managed to get 5 C grades in Maths, English, Science etc. due to personal circumstances which stopped me from doing better. Is there a possibility that Bath could still accept me? I have emailed them and they said that I should write about the personal circumstances in a reference when submitting my UCAS application this September. I just wanted some real advice and wondered if anyone got into Bath with C grades but good A levels?

Because I will come out of school with 4 A levels and 2 AS' (Media + EPQ) does that still give me a chance of being accepted onto the course? Should I retake my Maths exam in November in order to get it up to an A?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi,

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer. I do not work in the admissions department so I cannot say for certain if you will/ won't get in. However, a good set of A-levels, a good personal statement and any work experience is probably more important than GCSEs.

I would defiantly say you should still apply, and judging by your A levels, you probably are around the standard they look for. The best thing to do is to send in the reference as requested. The admissions team will be dealing with a reasonable number of extenuating circumstances. They will review it fully and try and work out if your GCSEs were reasonable considering your situation. If they feel they were, then it shouldn't really affect your application.

All the best,

Rob
    Two grammar nerd points:

Bath won't take you if you write "GCSE's"...why is there an apostrophe there? What do GCSEs own?

And "defiantly"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicnohoperno.9)
    Two grammar nerd points:

Bath wont take you if you write "GCSE's"...why is there an apostrophe there? What do GCSEs own?

And "defiantly"?

Medicnohoperno,

Can I just point out how pathetic you have been?

The OP has asked a fully justifiable question to which you have swanned in and ripped apart his grammar. So what if he used an apostrophe incorrectly, we've all made that mistake before.

Why don't we criticise your own post. Oh look, you too missed an apostrophe. Sacrilege!! Since when is won't spelled wont? Don't even get me started on the use of the word won't. What are you, 5 years old? I'd expect to see that word in an essay written by a 10 year old. Not somebody who by the sounds of it has attended university already. Won't is an informal word that should never be used in a professional environment.

Now why don't you crawl back into you hovel and focus on correcting your own grammar rather than that of others who are trying to ask serious questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ntc05)
    Medicnohoperno,

Can I just point out how pathetic you have been?

The OP has asked a fully justifiable question to which you have swanned in and ripped apart his grammar. So what if he used an apostrophe incorrectly, we've all made that mistake before.

Why don't we criticise your own post. Oh look, you too missed an apostrophe. Sacrilege!! Since when is won't spelled wont? Don't even get me started on the use of the word won't. What are you, 5 years old? I'd expect to see that word in an essay written by a 10 year old. Not somebody who by the sounds of it has attended university already. Won't is an informal word that should never be used in a professional environment.

Now why don't you crawl back into you hovel and focus on correcting your own grammar rather than that of others who are trying to ask serious questions.
    Lol! Yes, I made a mistake, my bad...I'd disagree with you on a couple of points; I hardly ripped apart his or her grammar, it was one point, and 'pathetic', really? Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning

ReputationRep:
    It's a bugbear of mine, loads of people write "GCSE's", so I like flagging it up when I see it :3

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone,

Thanks
    Hey there!!! I will also be applying for Psychology at Bath and don't worry you're not the only one who is nervous judging by the universities insane place to application ratio.

From what I've found out by emailing the Psychology admissions team is that, beyond the core subjects of English and Maths, GCSEs are actually not that important. There are prerequisites of an A in English Language and Maths at GCSE, which should put you in a good position among the pool of candidates, therefore achieving this is ideal regardless of extenuating circumstances.

Relevant work experience, extended project and/or a good combination of essay/social science and natural science subjects would put you in a strong position. If you want to maximise your chances I would consider at least re-taking English Language and Maths in November, which is actually what I did (re-took Maths GCSE and achieved an A*). All is possible and if you want I can give you my mathswatch account that will help 100000000%. You'll be re-taking the old syllabus not the new Maths syllabus. Also, I've noticed that your current A-levels is made up solely of essay and social science subjects so an AS in Biology or Maths would help immensely especially when considering your GCSE results. Doing this will show admissions tutors that you can work at an advanced level despite your average GCSE performance.

To cut to the chase retaking your Maths and English Language GCSEs + doing an additional AS in a Science subject would boost your application demonstrating you are a well-rounded candidate. When selecting my a-level options I also chose social science/essay based options (English Lit, Sociology, Psychology, Politics and French) and decided to do two intensive a levels in maths and Biology during my gap year to compensate for the lack of science in my a-levels.

In terms of re-taking your a-levels (or qualifications in general) Bath do not view this in a negative light, therefore it would not hinder your application at all. The key to applying successfully would be to ensure your reference mentions you are one of the top students in your school, outlines your extenuating circumstances + evidence (doctors note for example) and mentions any activities you have done outside of the school curriculum that relate to your interest in Psychology. The reference should function as a quasi-extension of you personal statement almost validating what you've previously written. P.S. just make sure your teacher gasses you up!!!!!

In terms of your personal statement looking at Psychology, Anthropology, English Literature and Sociology statements helped me write my own, which could, in turn, help you. Here is the link to the Personal statement database https://www.studential.com/personal-...nal-statements Look at a few Cambridge examples.

I'm also applying this September so let's keep in touch xD :'D Hope this has helped!!! Hopefully we both get a place aha

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was in a similar situation. Psychology at Bath for this years entry. Wrote to them because although I predict good A levels (have 1 A star and 1 A already and am completing third this year with a predicted A) I only achieved a B at GCSE Maths. Maths A however is a requirement so they advised that I retake. I would imagine that your English skills are presumed to be good if you can get an A in A level sociology and Psychology but Maths A grade is important. I would definitely recommend you retake it. Take a year out maybe and use it to study maths and travel. I told them I was retaking Maths and my offer is conditional on getting the A at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone,

Thanks
    PS yes definitely retake in November. If you wait until next May to resit you will come up against my problem which is that My place will remain unconfirmed until 1 week after the A levels are known. The delay waiting for my GCSE result means I miss the best accommodation allocation as well as other issues (grants etc). Get Maths in the bag early so you are only waiting for A level results is a better plan.

ReputationRep:
    What did you get in your AS if you dont mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone,

Thanks
    Hi! I am a third year psychology student at Bath. I am currently on the 5 years integrated masters course and about to start my placement. I had your worry when I applied (so long ago now haha) they wanted an A at GCSE Maths, I only got a B. Like someone else posted above the recommended that I retake. I didn't. I personally didn't want to and my sixth form didn't allow me to do that so I would have had to do it privately which would have cost me hella money.. and all for a few extra marks (nahhh not worth it). I applied anyway and I got an offer, made the entry requirement of A*AA in Psychology, History and Religious Studies (you don't have to do a science, you don't even have to do Psychology to get in). Focus on making your personal statement stellar and conveying your interest/passion and also like someone else mentioned, get your referee to mention your mitigating circumstances at GCSE.

I can't promise you will get in by following my advice, but I can tell you my experience of the university and what the staff are like. They are really nice and very understanding of mitigating circumstances.

And just an FYI. I have done 0 Maths on this course. Legit. For the statistics and research methods we use a programme called SPSS that generates the output and does all the Maths for us. Idk why they have made the requirement an A because I have had no difficulties with my B.

EDIT: just realised this thread was started over a year ago. Will leave my comment for anyone with this struggle anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.