Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you ever see yourself "settling down" and having kids? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As I'm in my late 20s I get this question all the time.

I just can't imagine settling down and having kids like everyone I know is. It's like everyone has gone from having mad nights out to dinner parties and wedding parties. So many weddings coming up.
    I just wouldn't be able to stand having my own kids and the everything else that comes with settling down. Living with a partner, living in suburbia, having to get a babysitter everytime I go out, having to make plans when school is out, having to put up with bad behaviour, the financial strain, etc.
    Of course it takes two as well and i'm pretty much single pringle who is crap with women and a poor postgrad, but even if I fell in love with a girl I don't think I could settle down. There's just so much to do and so much to see and so much I want to achieve. When kids come into the mix and a wife/long term partner your life is no longer just yours?

Anyone else feel like Peter Pan atm?

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine spending the rest of my life with one person, once in at a more mature age, as for kids, right now I definitely wouldn't want them but I might change my mind when I'm older

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get married eventually, but I have no intention of having children (although that might change, but I doubt it would honestly)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    As I'm in my late 20s I get this question all the time.

I just can't imagine settling down and having kids like everyone I know is. It's like everyone has gone from having mad nights out to dinner parties and wedding parties. So many weddings coming up.
    I just wouldn't be able to stand having my own kids and the everything else that comes with settling down. Living with a partner, living in suburbia, having to get a babysitter everytime I go out, having to make plans when school is out, having to put up with bad behaviour, the financial strain, etc.
    Of course it takes two as well and i'm pretty much single pringle who is crap with women and a poor postgrad, but even if I fell in love with a girl I don't think I could settle down. There's just so much to do and so much to see and so much I want to achieve.

Anyone else feel like Peter Pan atm?
    I think different people want different things out of life, if you never want to have kids or get married and that makes you happy then i wouldnt worry about it. I m in my early 20s and have pretty much settled down and will probably have kids and get married in the next few years but dont think everyone my age would want that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

The idea of being this millennial urbanite who lives in rented, shared accommodation in London, no permanent woman in my life, a load of flings, a good job but tonnes of debt and who pisses away his disposable income on nights out sounds like hell.

I would rather be a farmer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    Yes.

The idea of being this millennial urbanite who lives in rented, shared accommodation in London, no permanent woman in my life, a load of flings, a good job but tonnes of debt and who pisses away his disposable income on drink, drugs and cigarettes sounds like hell.

I would rather be a farmer.
    Living in London is something I would never do. It's mega depressing down there.

ReputationRep:
    Living in London is something I would never do. It's mega depressing down there.
    'down' there?

:curious:

Are you, a northern LAD? :puke:

ReputationRep:
    It's my plan.

First I need a degree, a career, get married, get a big house (which means lots of money right now )

ReputationRep:
    I feel similarly, but I'm slightly younger than you. I certainly couldn't have kids as the person I am at the moment, I'm far too selfish. But I'll be a different man in 10 years, and I may feel differently then.

ReputationRep:
    Yes please :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    'down' there?

:curious:

Are you, a northern LAD? :puke:
    Fun place to visit, some great places, but living down there? Nah. I know people in London and they work all the time. Make cash, but there's no actual time to take advantage of all what London has to offer, plus rents cost a fortune. Living in London is all about career to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only finishing my degree this year but I have definitely changed my opinion about settling down - I do want to do some travelling before I get there but I really want to find someone to spend the rest of my life with, comfortably, and raise a couple of great humans with. Even if the kids don't happen I still want to find someone to share my time with, who enjoys the same things as me
    My mum said she never wanted kids but wouldn't take it back, I think I'm the same, I have a great best friend relationship with my parents and I'd love a family like mine!

ReputationRep:
    I can settle down, I don't do parties,alcohol etc anyway. Having a partner and a stable relationship wouldn't limit what I can do. No kids though, hate kids, pregnancy and everything related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    It's my plan.

First I need a degree, a career, get married, get a big house (which means lots of money right now )
    - Gets a 2:2
    - Unemployed ends up on JSA and works retail
    - Gets married to some **** get me on tinder
    - She gets bored and cheats
    - Has someone elses kids
    - Buys a house after 40 years, realises it's actually a violent area
    - Gets divorced
    - Loses job due to depression
    - Gets disabled
    - Commits suicide

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way I've never thought about children and even when I'm around children I don't feel any maternal instinct.
    I want to have loads of pets instead I've already thought about it. Focused on getting into a stable career before anything but really can't see myself wanting children maybe when I'm over 30 definitely not in the twenties anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    - Has someone elses kids
    - Gets divorced
    - Gets disabled
    - Commits suicide
    lol savage AF. i worry whenever someone already plans at our age to tie themselves to a massive financial commitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    lol savage AF. i worry whenever someone already plans at our age to tie themselves to a massive financial commitment.
    That's what I don't understand. Kids and buying a house is a massive financial commitment. Plus I heard getting your kids into a decent school is pretty hard these days

Threads like this make me depressed with regards to the future of the UK. :moon:

Spoiler:
    Show
    To answer the OP: Yes. I can see myself settling downs someday, and certainly want to.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I don't understand. Kids and buying a house is a massive financial commitment. Plus I heard getting your kids into a decent school is pretty hard these days
    I'm going to try alternative parenting. When your kid is 6 put him on a one way boat to India, if he survives he'll have a life purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    - Has someone elses kids
    - Gets divorced
    - Gets disabled
    - Commits suicide
    I'm glad you have faith in me

(Original post by welcometoib)
    I'm 22 and it'll probably happen during my mid 30's atleast. Don't worry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.