The Student Room Group

Can you ever see yourself "settling down" and having kids?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.

Finding someone, on the other hand.. :rofl:
Reply 21
Original post by SeanFM
Yes.

Finding someone, on the other hand.. :rofl:

Did you fail sex education? Swapping hands doesn't make you pregnant
I was never one for parties as a teenager/student anyway so the settling down wasn't a big deal for me then. Though I suppose it depends vastly on your views on marriage and family and how you were brought up. My family is a bit of a mess so I wanted stability more than anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
My family is a bit of a mess so I wanted stability more than anything.

PRSOM. I'll see if it lets me rep later.
Reply 24
I felt exactly the same way in my 20's. Eventually I got married and ended up with a couple rug rats. Ain't so bad to be honest. A very different life from the one I once led but one that has different rewards, different pleasures, and different challenges.

Life runs in phases; you can't expect to live like a 24 year old forever.
Threads like this make me feel depressed. Its sad to see how quickly people give up their ambitions/goals to settle for mediocrity.

"The average man dies at 25, but is buried at 75." :frown: :cry:

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
- Gets a 2:2
- Unemployed ends up on JSA and works retail
- Gets married to some slag get me on tinder
- She gets bored and cheats
- Has someone elses kids
- Buys a house after 40 years, realises it's actually a violent area
- Gets divorced
- Loses job due to depression
- Gets disabled
- Commits suicide

At the other end of the spectrum:

>Gets a first
>Moves to the city on a top grad program
>Good salary

'we yuppies now'

>Forced to rent a shared room
>Your roommate is a crack addict and never pays his half
>Most of your earnings are eaten by the cost of living
>Can't afford to settle down and have children
>Still have student debts
>Your employer owns your ass
>Dies alone and childless
>Only your coworkers at your funeral
(edited 8 years ago)
No, I never want kids. Kids suck.
Reply 28
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
At the other end of the spectrum:

>Gets a first
>Moves to the city on a top grad program
>Good salary
>Forced to rent a shared room
>Your roommate is a crack addict and never pays his half
>Most of your earnings are eaten by the cost of living
>Can't afford to settle down and have children
>Still have student debts
>Your employer owns your ass
>Dies alone and childless
>Only your coworkers at your funeral

This isn't on topic but the idea that Bernie Sanders isn't for sale is laughable. Sanders campaign is funded by private donations, if he doesn't suck their dick they'll withdraw their funds. He should get on his knees and accept he's a slave like the rest of them.
Original post by whorace
This isn't on topic but the idea that Bernie Sanders isn't for sale is laughable. Sanders campaign is funded by private donations, if he doesn't suck their dick they'll withdraw their funds. He should get on his knees and accept he's a slave like the rest of them.

The only candidate who literally isn't for sale is Trump.

I don't care though, Sanders is actually driven by empathy and integrity.
Reply 30
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
The only candidate who literally isn't for sale is Trump.

I don't care though, Sanders is actually driven by empathy and integrity.

Sanders is a con artist and a highly paid prostitute, he'll do nothing if he gets into power because lobbyists will prevent him.
I definitely want to get married and probably want at least one kid, though my mind changes frequently in that regard.
I'm no where near ready though, I need a good five or six years before I'll be at the stage where I'd be happy to commit to someone for the rest of my life cause I ain't ever getting no divorce.
Reply 32
Original post by Katarvi
I definitely want to get married and probably want at least one kid, though my mind changes frequently in that regard.
I'm no where near ready though, I need a good five or six years before I'll be at the stage where I'd be happy to commit to someone for the rest of my life cause I ain't ever getting no divorce.

'Till death do us part'

'Slips cyanide into cornflakes'

Not so clever now are you??
I'm pretty much already settled down as in I am happy with my long term partner, we have lived together for years, we have pets together and we are planning our wedding but we said from day one neither of us wanted kids and after 7 years, we still agree with it and I don't ever see that changing.
I'd love to, and I sort of have day-dreams about it.... but I heavily doubt it, I really don't see myself "settling down" with anyone - just flying through life and going where the wind takes me:trytofly: :crazy::hippie:

... but my parents would probably be expecting grand-kids and stuff
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
'Till death do us part'

'Slips cyanide into cornflakes'

Not so clever now are you??

Not if I get there first
I'm not opposed to being a widower :u:
already there :smile:
Reply 37
of course i hope i do find someone! i cant wait to get married one day and have kids of my own :love:
Original post by jblackmoustache
As I'm in my late 20s I get this question all the time.

I just can't imagine settling down and having kids like everyone I know is. It's like everyone has gone from having mad nights out to dinner parties and wedding parties. So many weddings coming up.
I just wouldn't be able to stand having my own kids and the everything else that comes with settling down. Living with a partner, living in suburbia, having to get a babysitter everytime I go out, having to make plans when school is out, having to put up with bad behaviour, the financial strain, etc.
Of course it takes two as well and i'm pretty much single pringle who is crap with women and a poor postgrad, but even if I fell in love with a girl I don't think I could settle down. There's just so much to do and so much to see and so much I want to achieve. When kids come into the mix and a wife/long term partner your life is no longer just yours?

Anyone else feel like Peter Pan atm?

You're perfectly right about not wanting to settle down and not having kids. It really seems to be the idea of many people these days and rightly so.

everything you've written I've said before. Do what makes you happy.
The settling down part perhaps because i do really want a gf :redface:
but not the children part :s-smilie: couldn't have them if we wanted to and i don't like kids anyway so no kids :h:
tbh you can 'settle down' without kids anyway :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending