Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your views on representations of women in the media? Watch

ReputationRep:
    With shows like Game of Thrones where violence is the norm, what are your opinions on the way 'violent' women are represented? For example, do you think Brienne of Tarth is masculinised so that she can be a violent woman?

ReputationRep:
    No. Gender roles are subjective.

And the feminazis can go **** themselves, since there is a thing called narrative and storytelling. Next Lagertha in Vikings is "sexist" when **** like that probably happened for real.

The PC movement is a noble one, but then it's come too far, it needs to retreat to a healthy level.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, Brienne of Tarth in the TV show is very close to how she is in the books. The books are very violent in general so I don't think it's fair to judge the TV show's characterisations in this way.

That aside, I tried to think of violent women in other shows and I'm struggling.

One thing I noticed though, to change the focus slightly, is that advert where the couple want to order a takeaway meal and the woman breaks out in that chicken Madras song in the Groove Armada copy.

Notice the bit towards the end joking about the woman thinking about cheating on her partner. It's done in a way that that has absolutely no negative connotations towards her like it's perfectly OK. Never in a million years would you see this the other way round. I suppose it's a woman liberation and empowerment thing, which is obviously something we should encourage but the way they did it here I think it completely distasteful since cheating must never be seen as acceptable. Just something I noticed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.