Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would reall appreciate some advice about applying to medical school.

I am currently in year 12 and I have the following GCSE results: 1A* 7A's 3B's.
    I am currently studying A-levels in: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (my predicted grades are B+ x4 although I am aiming higher) and I am planning on dropping Maths at the end of year 12.
    I am going to do a 5-day work experience placement at a local hospice and I am applying to do a 20-week voluntary placement at my local hospital. Alongside this I have attended Biology related trips to universities and I am doing maths mentoring for year 11's at my school. Although my GCSE's are far from competitive, what are my chances, realistically?

ReputationRep:
    If you can make your extracurricular really good and get decent A Levels then you're in with a good chance.

I would suggest places like Liverpool and Keele in terms of your GCSEs as you'd almost score full marks on the scoring system for Liverpool and Keele aren't too fussed about GCSEs. If you're lacking in confidence, then take a gap year and apply with known grades for ALevel as it makes things easier for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Helpmeoutplease)
    I would reall appreciate some advice about applying to medical school.

I am currently in year 12 and I have the following GCSE results: 1A* 7A's 3B's.
    I am currently studying A-levels in: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (my predicted grades are B+ x4 although I am aiming higher) and I am planning on dropping Maths at the end of year 12.
    I am going to do a 5-day work experience placement at a local hospice and I am applying to do a 20-week voluntary placement at my local hospital. Alongside this I have attended Biology related trips to universities and I am doing maths mentoring for year 11's at my school. Although my GCSE's are far from competitive, what are my chances, realistically?
    you have met the minimum of 5/6 A/A* grades which is what many universities require as a minimum. I would stay away from GCSE heavy universities such as Cardiff, Edinburgh, Birmingham, QUB, Oxford etc. and it may not be wise to go for universities who score your GCSEs where it means they make up a large part of the weighting of your pre interview score and hence chances at interview, these are places like Leicester and HYMS.

If you aim for at least AABB at AS (ideally AAAA) and get some good predictions then you will be fine for A-levels. for the UKCAT you would be in a much better position if you got a high score (above like 680 ish) as that would open doors to newcastle and southampton which arent particually GCSE heavy at all. Liverpool and lancaster are good universities to look at also, same with manchester.

as for work experience its not about quantity (unless you apply to keele), its about how you reflect upon it. just keep up the hard work and you will get to medical school!

ReputationRep:
    If you can nail your UKCAT there's no reason why you shouldn't apply, you have useful work experience and as long as you can get predictions of AAA for A2, in the relevant subjects you should be absolutely fine. My advice would be don't apply to places such as Edinburgh, as speaking from experience their bias is towards academics. Places such as newcastle may be good for you as gaining an interview rests mainly on UKCAT score, as long as you also have the A2 predictions. A back up idea could be an access course such as those with a foundation year, though I know of course this adds time on which you may want to avoid. As far as I can see if you're determined you should still give it a go, but have a very good look at individual university requirements, you'll find the course is not totally bared to you. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying. I think one of my major concerns with my GCSE's is that one of my B grades is in English language which I'm aware medical school require to be at a high standard.

ReputationRep:
    Look into foundation years if you meet the criteria
    My stats were similar to yours and I got an offer- they are competitive tho
    500 applicants for 20 places
    So check that out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying. I think one of my major concerns with my GCSE's is that one of my B grades is in English language which I'm aware medical school require to be at a high standard.
    B should be fine, that's about the usual asked for, worst comes to worst you could discuss maybe resetting an exam but I wouldn't stress about that too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiritless98)
    Look into foundation years if you meet the criteria
    My stats were similar to yours and I got an offer- they are competitive tho
    500 applicants for 20 places
    So check that out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't meet the criteria for foundation medicine

ReputationRep:
    I don't meet the criteria for foundation medicine
    You can still apply to normal medicine but apply wisely and make sure you get a high ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're serious about medicine you'll need higher predictions than those. If you get 'A's at AS you should be able to get your teachers to predict higher, but I'd ask them about it now as well.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.