The Student Room Group

Dental hygienist to dental GP

Hey guys, I am interested in doing dentistry as a career but whilst I was on work experience the hygienist mentioned that some universities offer a shortened dentistry degree to post graduates of dental hygiene. I have been unable to find any other information about this but she mentioned Manchester and Leeds university may do it, does anyone know anything about this?
Original post by Alexhowe99
Hey guys, I am interested in doing dentistry as a career but whilst I was on work experience the hygienist mentioned that some universities offer a shortened dentistry degree to post graduates of dental hygiene. I have been unable to find any other information about this but she mentioned Manchester and Leeds university may do it, does anyone know anything about this?

I think it was with the Oral Health Sciences, you can transfer from the 1st year of that to the 2nd year dentistry if you do well.
Reply 2
You would need to check with the specific unis, but it would most likely be the ones which offer graduate entry. Aberdeen, KCL, Liverpool etc. Try them first and if they wouldn't accept your BSc without an honours classification, you'd then have to check with the unis for the full 5 year course. These courses also usually accept graduate entry but they also tend to be for 2:1+ class honours degrees. I'm sure there are places that do would let you because you would obviously have huge knowledge of oral hygiene and patient care already.

Quick Reply

Latest