Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My boyfriend is trying to get a job as a junior web designer/web developer. He has applied for loads of jobs but has been rejected without interview. He has a degree in Digital Art and Technology and has previously had an internship and 5 months paid experience as a junior developer and has done a lot of freelance work making websites for friends and local groups/businesses. He has also done other jobs such as working in a shop and teaching english abroad. Its three years since he finished uni and still struggling to find work. Any ideas how he could improve his applications/cv or get noticed by employers.

ReputationRep:
    Without seeing his cv..no

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi, I've been a developer for about 5 years. I'll offer my input tomorrow or feel free to quote or PM me. There's a few more things I'd like to know about your partner. Posting from phone at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    first question i'm going to ask you is, has he even got his own website? according to hearsay, some web development companies won't even consider someone without a personal website.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    first question i'm going to ask you is, has he even got his own website? according to hearsay, some web development companies won't even consider someone without a personal website.
    Not necessarily a personal website but rather evidence of personal projects, portfolio, contributions, GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, past commercial experience etc. Many employers will also provide a coding test or assessment at some point in the recruitment stage.

Incorporating this into your CV/application in a particular formatted way is also of very key importance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by liv89)
    Hi,

My boyfriend is trying to get a job as a junior web designer/web developer. He has applied for loads of jobs but has been rejected without interview.
    In what manner is he applying for roles?

He has a degree in Digital Art and Technology and has previously had an internship and 5 months paid experience as a junior developer and has done a lot of freelance work making websites for friends and local groups/businesses. He has also done other jobs such as working in a shop and teaching english abroad. Its three years since he finished uni and still struggling to find work. Any ideas how he could improve his applications/cv or get noticed by employers.
    Has he included this in his CV? If so, in what way? What is his writing and formatting style? Feel free to PM in confidence of the CV but censor the personal details if you prefer.

Sorry, still a bit of a short post, but hopefully you can ponder this in the meantime. It's a bit difficult posting detailed advice from my phone. I look forward to your response.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.