Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I retake the year how are my university choices affected? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This A2 year has been terrible for me due to uncontrollable circumstances. But I know I can do well and really want to retake the A2 year so I can do much better. If I got top grades next year but got them through retaking, what would my university choices be like? Would some reject my application based on the fact I am retaking even though I have top grades?

Thanks in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by xhxhxh)
    This A2 year has been terrible for me due to uncontrollable circumstances. But I know I can do well and really want to retake the A2 year so I can do much better. If I got top grades next year but got them through retaking, what would my university choices be like? Would some reject my application based on the fact I am retaking even though I have top grades?

Thanks in advance
    Some universities dont accept people who've resat years so i d suggest speaking to any of the ones your an interesting to find out what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Some universities dont accept people who've resat years so i d suggest speaking to any of the ones your an interesting to find out what they say.
    How good do you think the universities that still accept will be? Because if i get better grades but the same sort of offers as I would have got previously there will be no point retaking

(I hope that makes as much sense as it does in my head)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    How good do you think the universities that still accept will be? Because if i get better grades but the same sort of offers as I would have got previously there will be no point retaking

(I hope that makes as much sense as it does in my head)
    I think it would depend, as you've said uncontrollable circumstances affected your grades that could have an impact on how the universities felt about resits. It also depends what you're applying for as i d think if its a competitive subject they aren't likely to be lenient.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would depend, as you've said uncontrollable circumstances affected your grades that could have an impact on how the universities felt about resits. It also depends what you're applying for as i d think if its a competitive subject they aren't likely to be lenient.
    Are mitigating circumstances that universities consider acceptable to resit a levels acceptable by all.

From what I have seen mitigating circumstances are only personal injury/bereavements/disabilities etc.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    Are mitigating circumstances that universities consider acceptable to resit a levels acceptable by all.

From what I have seen mitigating circumstances are only personal injury/bereavements/disabilities etc.
    Universities would all have different policies really, but yeah its generally only illness or bereavements that would make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Universities would all have different policies really, but yeah its generally only illness or bereavements that would make a difference.
    Yeah that figures, out of interest for those who get diagnosed late with disabilties is that counted as mitigating.

What is the support like at uni anyway?

Like for a computer I have heard that you have to pay 200£ for a pc, so if it say 1.2k will they pay the rest?

And also with students who have multiple disablilityies are they entitled to more? :teehee:

I already use overlays which are decent and have .25 more time, but the support in high school is soooooo insufficient.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yeah that figures, out of interest for those who get diagnosed late with disabilties is that counted as mitigating.

What is the support like at uni anyway?

Like for a computer I have heard that you have to pay 200£ for a pc, so if it say 1.2k will they pay the rest?

And also with students who have multiple disablilityies are they entitled to more? :teehee:

I already use overlays which are decent and have .25 more time, but the support in high school is soooooo insufficient.
    No a late diagnosis wouldn't count as a mitigating circumstance. It's much better than high school. Its based on what you need/what your difficulties are, not how many disabilities you have if that makes sense. They only buy the most basic PC that will run any software so you won't get one that costs 1.2k for sure unless you paid for an upgrade yourself.

ReputationRep:
    No a late diagnosis wouldn't count as a mitigating circumstance. It's much better than high school. Its based on what you need/what your difficulties are, not how many disabilities you have if that makes sense. They only buy the most basic PC that will run any software so you won't get one that costs 1.2k for sure unless you paid for an upgrade yourself.
    Something I have never understood is that do disabled students get 5% more marks? I heard this but doubt it is true.

I see, most of the learning dificulties have overlapping symptoms imo.

That is a shame, but expected ******* conservatives.

So if they say I am entitled to £800 e.g. and I payed 200£ and wanted a better one, would I have to pay the difference.

Sorry to ask you so much, no-one is really good at advising at my h.s.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Something I have never understood is that do disabled students get 5% more marks? I heard this but doubt it is true.

I see, most of the learning dificulties have overlapping symptoms imo.

That is a shame, but expected ******* conservatives.

So if they say I am entitled to £800 e.g. and I payed 200£ and wanted a better one, would I have to pay the difference.

Sorry to ask you so much, no-one is really good at advising at my h.s.
    No definitely not, the extra time,pc use and having a reader is considered enough to make up for it. Yes you would pay the difference.

ReputationRep:
    No definitely not, the extra time,pc use and having a reader is considered enough to make up for it. Yes you would pay the difference.
    Haha.

I see.

That doesn't seem much difference to a levels tbh.

They offered me a pc/reader but it is more of an inconvenience tbh. They still stick me in the hall with all the others though :P

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    It wouldn't really affect you unless you are applying for a STEM subject at Manchester and Edinburgh or for Medicine. Retaking the year can be beneficial, in the sense that you would truly understand the topics taught to you.

I personally do not regret retaking and starting new subject, as I did manage to learn how to study, as well as make my mind up on what to do after A-levels.

Edit: if you have any universities in mind already, read their admission policy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I retook my A2 year so feel free to message me with any questions you may have! What universities do you plan on applying to? And what course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.