Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm currently studying my AS levels (biology, chemistry and psychology) and want to study veterinary medicine and have done all my life. I'm wondering if my GCSE grades are strong enough to give me even a chance of acceptance into a veterinary course;
    English language - A
    English literature - B
    Maths - B
    Core science - A
    Additional science - A
    PE - A
    Spanish - A
    Business studies - A
    RS - B
    I'm aware I meet the minimum requirement of 6 A grades but I'm worried that this won't be good enough in comparison with students who got 9-11 A/A* grades.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't say for certain that it wouldn't put you at a disadvantage, but they tend to rate things like work experience, AS Levels and personal statement as a lot more important than GCSEs I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe_craig1)
    Hi there, I'm currently studying my AS levels (biology, chemistry and psychology) and want to study veterinary medicine and have done all my life. I'm wondering if my GCSE grades are strong enough to give me even a chance of acceptance into a veterinary course;
    English language - A
    English literature - B
    Maths - B
    Core science - A
    Additional science - A
    PE - A
    Spanish - A
    Business studies - A
    RS - B
    I'm aware I meet the minimum requirement of 6 A grades but I'm worried that this won't be good enough in comparison with students who got 9-11 A/A* grades.
    There was a point when I wanted to study veterinary medicine but that evolved to 'traditional' medicine As long as your GCSE grades are above the require grades that's fine. What's most important is getting As at A-Level. If you can do this and get loads of work experience you should be fine! From what I remember it's expected to have around 10 weeks of experience. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, and yes I plan to get 10-15 weeks of varied experience and have 2 weeks of veterinary clinic experience under my belt already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, and yes I plan to get 10-15 weeks of varied experience and have 2 weeks of veterinary clinic experience under my belt already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds good! What I did after some work experience at my local vets was ask them If I could come and help out at the weekends and I did that for a while. Just a suggestion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's a good idea! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your grades seem pretty good, ifyou meet GCSE minimum, most just look at any AS results youve got (not sure how that will work with the new A-level system).

ReputationRep:
    Only place that you'll have trouble with is Bristol, which requires an A in maths GCSE, but if you really have your heart set on there you could try retaking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also if you're applying for 2017 entry remember that you need to have the majority of your work experience done before applying in October this year x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the bulk will be during summer I think and thank you for the advice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.