Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am looking to defer the rest of my final year at university due to personal and medical issues. I have spoken with my tutor and she has advised that I do it based on what I have told her as it seems that I will fail otherwise meaning I will be left with a rubbish grade overall for my degree.

My only issue is funding. I am currently locked into a lease until end of June and rely on my maintenance loan and grant to get by, if by deferring the rest of the year and starting back again in February will this stop all payments and also, will I have to pay back any payments for this year in general? I cannot afford this but, If I don't defer then I will have fallen at the last hurdle and all my three years will amount to nothing whereas, if I am given the chance to try again in February then I am likely to get a better degree grade.

P.s If by taking the second semester ONLY again in February will this effect funding for my postgrad that I hope to do after my degree? I have currently had the best part of three years funding from Student Finance Wales.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Danielle94)
    Hello,

I am looking to defer the rest of my final year at university due to personal and medical issues. I have spoken with my tutor and she has advised that I do it based on what I have told her as it seems that I will fail otherwise meaning I will be left with a rubbish grade overall for my degree.

My only issue is funding. I am currently locked into a lease until end of June and rely on my maintenance loan and grant to get by, if by deferring the rest of the year and starting back again in February will this stop all payments and also, will I have to pay back any payments for this year in general? I cannot afford this but, If I don't defer then I will have fallen at the last hurdle and all my three years will amount to nothing whereas, if I am given the chance to try again in February then I am likely to get a better degree grade.

P.s If by taking the second semester ONLY again in February will this effect funding for my postgrad that I hope to do after my degree? I have currently had the best part of three years funding from Student Finance Wales.
    You would probably be expected to pay back any overpayment from january's installment so from now until whatever the next payment date is and any future payments would be stopped, if you're ill they might let you have 60 days of funding to keep but i m not sure the exact circumstance in which they grant that. SFW isnt doing the postgraduate loans that i know of but it wouldnt effect funding for teacher training or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You would probably be expected to pay back any overpayment from january's installment so from now until whatever the next payment date is and any future payments would be stopped, if you're ill they might let you have 60 days of funding to keep but i m not sure the exact circumstance in which they grant that. SFW isnt doing the postgraduate loans that i know of but it wouldnt effect funding for teacher training or anything like that.

Great! Fail it is. They give funding for PGCE as my boyfriend has just applied for it. Thank you anyway!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Great! Fail it is. They give funding for PGCE as my boyfriend has just applied for it. Thank you anyway!
    I would give them a call just to be sure, you do have a gift year left if i've understood correctly and its rare you could then resit the year using that?

ReputationRep:
    As it's my last year, If I failed this year I would have to go back to the start of the second year and that requires an extra year of funding that I am not entitled to. I have done well up to now however, given the circumstances I am guaranteed to send my grade plummeting to a fail.

ReputationRep:
    As it's my last year, If I failed this year I would have to go back to the start of the second year and that requires an extra year of funding that I am not entitled to. I have done well up to now however, given the circumstances I am guaranteed to send my grade plummeting to a fail.
    If you have to drop out due to medical problems, you can apply for SF's "Compelling Personal Reasons" and have that year of funding entitlement reinstated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.