Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions about the Spanish exam for AS level.

My main concern is the GAP FILL, I am absolutely dreadful at it and I cannot seem to score very high at all, no matter what I try. Is there any tips that you can give me for me to improve - what do I need to be doing?

Also, any other tips in general would be greatly appreciated for the paper as I would hopefully like to achieve an A grade. But, how can I get there?

I have attached a copy of exactly how the paper would look like so you can get a general feel for it: http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/s15-1362-01a.pdf

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Kind Regards

ReputationRep:
    Hello there I'm Sam.
    I teach a group of AS Spanish students and I had to also familiarize myself with the WJEC paper. I did AQA for my A level.

I see you have some concerns about the WJEC AS Spanish paper. There are 3 general gap fill exercises included in the paper. The first is the listening gap fill. For this gap fill, I would strongly advise to listen to what exactly is being said! they basically give you the answers but just pay close attention. If you don't hear what is being said, you can go over the recording again, but do allocate your time correctly. The exam does feel long I know at 2 hours 30, but it will whizz by. Exercise 3 (c) is the longest of all 3 gap fills and is the one with the most marks at 15. You are given 20 Spanish words each in a variety of tenses/nouns/verbs. If you are confident, have a go at translating the words to get a good feel of the context of the article, then think to yourself of gender/tense/agreement etc. e.j Hay una opinión general en los ................................ ............................. (1) deportivos mundiales de que Españaha sido el ................................ ............................. (2) del dopaje. We are hear looking for a plural word as it's los and secondly it's masculine therefore look for a word which contain both of these. Espana ha side el.... again look for a masculine word. Another suggestion.... Al contrario mandó que.... this sentence is always followed by the subjunctive ie when someone has a desire or wishes for something to be done or carried out. Look for the words which are in the subjunctive. In this case the word you're looking for it fuesen. The final gap fill is Exercise (4) Una gran parte de los jóvenes españoles ................................ ............................. [emigrar / emigrarán /emigraría] si ................................ ............................. [tendrá / ha / tuviera] un dominio del inglés. Again, think about gender/verb/tense/agreement. A big selection of young Spanairds would emigrate if they had a demand of English. would (emigaría) if (si) they had (tuviera) - a wish therefore subjunctive.

I hope this helped and sorry for waffling on. If you need any more help please don't hesitate to reply.

ReputationRep:
    Let them cheat and all shall be clear

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.