The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

These university SJWs in ten years time...

SJW - "SMASH THE PATRIARCHY!! DOWN WITH WHITE SUPREMACY!! END CIS-HETERONORMATIVITY!!"

Me - "Yeah, whatever. Can you just give me my ****ing latte already?"
Original post by Greenlaner
These university SJWs in ten years time...

SJW - "SMASH THE PATRIARCHY!! DOWN WITH WHITE SUPREMACY!! END CIS-HETERONORMATIVITY!!"

Me - "Yeah, whatever. Can you just give me my ****ing latte already?"

Since its Cambridge, they would probably the people in political power- and that could be scary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How dare anybody wear clothing from outside their own culture. People must ONLY dress according to their ethnicity. Fun, sharing, and wearing anything 'foreign' is prohibited. Every time a white Brit wears a sombrero, a Mexican cries. Even if a Mexican sold it to you on vacation, you must not wear it. Got it?

That goes for Cowboys, too. Cattle ranchers and gunslingers are a culture, not a costume! A Toga, Zoro outfit, or lederhosen? FORGET ABOUT IT, BIGOT!

*Rules only apply if you are a white. If you're Chinese and want to wear a Geisha outfit, or Nigerian and want to dress like a Maasai, have at it, because we won't be able to tell the difference.
Bunch of crybabies.I bet at least one of them is a white guy with dreadlocks.
Can someone please explain to me what 'cultural appropriation' even means?
Reply 6
Oh no! Quickly. Safe space everybody. There's a video showing some kittens playing with a ball of wool.
Reply 7
Original post by MildredMalone
Bunch of crybabies.I bet at least one of them is a white guy with dreadlocks.

White people with dreadlocks. They suck ass.
I don't think anyone really cares about this though...

Brb me wearing jeans and a tee is cultural appropriation
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mathemagicien
Only the French/Italians should wear jeans! :pierre:

Denim comes from US prison clothing, doesn't it? Shirley it's only them that can wear it if we're playing by those rules.
'Students were offered counselling and 'a safe place' and students in the pictures now face disciplinary action over the pictures, described as an act of 'ethnic stereotyping'.

Lmfaoo
Original post by Mathemagicien
If my respectable source (Wikipedia :redface: ) serves me well:

Denim originated from a town in Italy
It was introduced to US by a German

Hmm. It might be jeans itself that originate from the US, I know Levi's bang on about it.

And you can't deny the Canadians their national clothing! Double denim is their version of a tux.
Original post by chemting
Since its Cambridge, they would probably the people in political power- and that could be scary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well hopefully they will only end up in lesser parties like the SWP, Greens or Respect, where they can't do much damage.
reason #693437423142718 I'm glad I don't study at Cambridge. Thank you, OP!
Original post by Drewski
Denim comes from US prison clothing, doesn't it? Shirley it's only them that can wear it if we're playing by those rules.

Indeed.

And don't call me Shirley.
Of course, the people most injured by this are those who are going to be arbitrarily punished and have their studies derailed because they transgressed a policy on ethnic stereotypes no one is actually offended by.

Gonna trigger the British people who make up a majority in this thread. I warn you, the image contains rampant stereotyping and you might need counselling.

I'm starting to think this safe-space malarkey is more of a psychological thing though. I wonder if they're actually acting out the abuse that they got from their parents and schools on other students when they get to university. I don't imagine I'm the only one whose school gave the same punishments for racial slurs as for physical violence.
There are so many genuinely important things you can get upset about rather than looking for excuses to get annoyed about SJWs...
What is a safe space?
Original post by queen-bee
What is a safe space?

It is a shameless breach of the Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights. This is pretty much a space where you can't express your views if they are unpopular and a place to go for defective people to try to get away from reality.
So is the wearing of tweed restricted to the natives of the British Isles?

Quick Reply

Latest