Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    and they seek to take the despot's route of closing down political views they don't like by simply banning their expression.
    That may well be the aims of some of them but fortunately, I think most people are sane - all of these incidents have been widely condemned and once again, I think it's important to mention that plenty of 'controversial' events and talks do go ahead, you just don't hear about it on the news... because 'controversial talk goes ahead' isn't as exciting news as 'SJWs BAN TALK ONCE AGAIN!!!11!".

ReputationRep:
    Then students who do not vote (which can hardly be all that much trouble, can it?) have no right to complain when the outside world laughs at what is undertaken by their elected representatives in the name of the student body.
    They don't act in the name of the student body in any meaningful sense. The vast majority of ordinary, well-adjusted students want nothing to do with student politics. This is why these bodies end up being controlled by a minority of 'radical' losers who take themselves as seriously as they do.

Your suggestion that students have 'no right to complain' seems to proceed on the assumption that these are serious political organs with unquestionable legitimacy. This is an unrealistic view of the situation.

Granted this is a little less true for college bodies than university ones. Sometimes vaguely sensible and socially adequate people run for college positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    you just don't hear about it on the news... because 'controversial talk goes ahead' isn't as exciting news as 'SJWs BAN TALK ONCE AGAIN!!!11!".
    Of course. Indeed, the outside world expects SUs to be holding controversial debates, so it really IS news when events (or sombreros) are banned or speakers are censored or given "no platform".

I'd have thought sensible students would be worried if even one of these incidents were reported every year. As it is, as you yourself demonstrate, students seem happy to be represented by these people and for large numbers of headlines to make them a laughing stock, as long as they can have a quiet life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Yes but that's where it all begins.many people on Twitter disagree with cultural appropriation. Some people are genuinely hurt by this whole cultural appropriation thing
    So what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    They don't act in the name of the student body in any meaningful sense.
    They control who gets to debate what at universities - institutions which have, hitherto, been a bastion of free speech.

ReputationRep:
    You're more than welcome to laugh at stupidity, and I think I'm also justified in calling it petty when people whip themselves up into a hysteria about SJWs taking over the world.
    They are self important [email protected] who need bringing down to size.

Ridicule does the job very well and it is not petty and no less than they deserve.

Hopefully one or other of them might read this thread and they might realise the utter contempt in which they are held.

ReputationRep:
    They control who gets to debate what at universities - institutions which have, hitherto, been a bastion of free speech.
    Yes, but as I said, they don't do in any meaningful sense on behalf of the student body. To say that students have 'no right to complain' when a body that nobody cares about makes a decision that nobody wanted seems to me to follow from an unrealistic assessment of the situation, for the reasons I gave.

That's not to say they're not having an insidious effect on public debate and expression within universities. They are. Nor is it to say that it wouldn't be great to mobilise the 'just leave us alone' vote. It would be great. It's just in the nature of any movement based largely on occasional irritation mixed in with general indifference that it is difficult to mobilise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    So what?
    So Cambridge uni have done right by their students.. Mockery of people's cultures is not acceptable

ReputationRep:
    So Cambridge uni have done right by their students.. Mockery of people's cultures is not acceptable
    But no mockery had even occured, merely assumed. What themes are allowed at parties? We had a US theme, is that appriopration of American culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    But no mockery had even occured, merely assumed. What themes are allowed at parties? We had a US theme, is that appriopration of American culture?
    As far as I'm concerned if I want to go to a fancy dress party as a "red injun" or black up, put on a dress, and go as Aunt Jemina I damn well will.

Tough luck if they can't take a joke. People just need to lighten up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But that doesn't count.

ReputationRep:
    There was a 'gone with the wind' theme abandoned for a Cambridge ball a couple of years ago, because it was thought to be racist.

ReputationRep:
    There was a 'gone with the wind' theme abandoned for a Cambridge ball a couple of years ago, because it was thought to be racist.
    But frankly nobody gave a damn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    But frankly nobody gave a damn.
    Nice :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Nice :thumbsup:
    Cheers. Couldn't stop myself!

ReputationRep:
    Western culture can't be appropriated.

Oh, wait.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by generallee)
    They are self important [email protected] who need bringing down to size.

Ridicule does the job very well and it is not petty and no less than they deserve.

Hopefully one or other of them might read this thread and they might realise the utter contempt in which they are held.
    Ridicule is an absolutely awful way of making someone change their perspective. It's much more likely to make them even more confident in their own beliefs and it's a very petty strategy that requires no intelligence or maturity to pull off. If you think ridicule is an effective debating strategy then I think you need a bit of a lesson in persuasion...

ReputationRep:
    Ridicule is an absolutely awful way of making someone change their perspective. It's much more likely to make them even more confident in their own beliefs and it's a very petty strategy that requires no intelligence or maturity to pull off. If you think ridicule is an effective debating strategy then I think you need a bit of a lesson in persuasion...
    Ridicule is a very GOOD way of bringing self indulgent twits down to size, which I think was his point.

As for it changing their perspective it may give the odd, more thoughtful one pause for thought. But if not, a few more years life experience will eventually do that. There are a lot of things that matter a great deal more than what to wear to a "bop." They don't seem to realise that yet, but they will.

Looking back on this juvenilia with embarrassment and realising the ridicule was deserved after all.

ReputationRep:
    Mockery of people's cultures is not acceptable
    Nonsense. Mockery is a perfectly reasonable way of drawing attention to flaws and amusing traits in a culture. The British and French mock one another all the time, as do the British and Aussies; it's great fun.

In any event, are you saying these are unacceptable:

http://www.rferl.org/content/iran-sa.../27474115.html

ReputationRep:
    Ridicule is a perfect way to highlight the stupidity of these people

It's a tried and tested method (which is why some are so against it)

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.