Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    I'm not sure how you propose to persuade people who's modus operandi is to completely ignore and censor anything that approaches being contradictory to their views.
    First of all, even if you've given up on trying to change their views, that doesn't give you the excuse to be vile to them. Secondly, if there is a way of changing their views, it's through education and sensible debate. If you treat people with respect and dignity then they'll be much more willing to listen to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    What uni is this?
    Harper Adams. I'm guessing you have never heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    I have a genuine question. Why do people feel it's okay to mock and ridicule somebody else's culture? Do they get some sort satisfaction? I don't get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    First of all, even if you've given up on trying to change their views, that doesn't give you the excuse to be vile to them. Secondly, if there is a way of changing their views, it's through education and sensible debate. If you treat people with respect and dignity then they'll be much more willing to listen to you.
    That isn't how SUs and the NUS work. They prefer no-platforming or simply not debating.

ReputationRep:
    Harassment and threats (as often happens) are vile. Mockery is not.

As for your second point, I agree in principle but these people really have made themselves completely unapproachable. They have a reputation for essentially shouting down and shutting out anything remotely contradictory to their central principles. Certain individuals might be approachable but a censorious movement is essentially censorious and uncompromising. I'd put them on par with extremists in terms of how warped their views are.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be allowed to get on with their party and have fun I don't see a problem with white kids who've got dreadlocks dressing up as african kings and if the white girl with blonde hair and blue eyes would like to wear germanys national costume thats fine too. Whats wrong with dressing up and enjoying yourself?

The people who think there's something wrong with that are just being prejudiced against a certain kind of fun people enjoy doing.

ReputationRep:
    I have a genuine question. Why do people feel it's okay to mock and ridicule somebody else's culture? Do they get some sort satisfaction? I don't get it
    What if the culture involves not allowing women to have driver's licenses?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Harassment and threats (as often happens) are vile. Mockery is not.As for your second point, I agree in principle but these people really have made themselves completely unapproachable. They have a reputation for essentially shouting down and shutting out anything remotely contradictory to their central principles. Certain individuals might be approachable but a censorious movement is essentially censorious and uncompromising. I'd put them on par with extremists in terms of how warped their views are.
    Mockery is not a nice thing. Mockery and harassment are also not necessarily mutually exclusive. I honestly believe that the number of people who have made themselves totally unapproachable is low. They're generally intelligent people who think what they do because they believe it's the right thing, which I understand because my views used to be similar. If I can change my mind then they can too.
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    For someone who tells others to go back and read, you should take your own advice.I said positive discrimination is bad.
    And I've explained to you why positive discrimination isn't bad, for the exact same reasons why the forms of discrimination you agree are acceptable aren't bad.

ReputationRep:
    Mockery is not a nice thing. Mockery and harassment are also not necessarily mutually exclusive. I honestly believe that the number of people who have made themselves totally unapproachable is low. They're generally intelligent people who think what they do because they believe it's the right thing, which I understand because my views used to be similar. If I can change my mind then they can too.
    No, mockery is not a nice thing. But mockery is neutral, mockery is not threatening. Mockery can be coloured with malice but not necessarily. I think the mockery directed towards student censors is more out of incredulity then genuine malice.

As for making themselves totally unapproachable, you're probably right, but try thinking about it from a signalling perspective. You think it might be possible to have civil discussions with the other side; the return signal they give is banning Julie Bindle.

ReputationRep:
    What if the culture involves not allowing women to have driver's licenses?
    That should be tackled in a positive way that does not involve mockery

ReputationRep:
    That should be tackled in a positive way that does not involve mockery
    Yeah but it's not the job of the average forum dweller to be at the negotiation table with politicians and lawmakers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but it's not the job of the average forum dweller to be at the negotiation table with politicians and lawmakers.
    So what is your job? To mock?

ReputationRep:
    So what is your job? To mock?
    Why not? Of course mockery isn't what actually solves issues, but it can bond people together for a common cause. Just look at the amount of vitriol democrats and republicans throw at each other on social media and elsewhere. And people who are mocking each other one day can be at a table having debates and discussions the next. It's just a perfectly normal part of human behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Classically confused juvenile pseudo-intellectual faux-liberal antics. What a bunch of #MuesliMunchenBetaMenchen :laugh:

Some people are genuine pussies who need to grow a backbone and learn to love/laugh at themselves :yy:

Sometimes to be nasty, but mostly for the lulz. The kind of uni event in question is just a bit of harmless fun. SJWs need to chill the **** out, address their mental health issues, and not be so salty all the time

Knit cute little tea cosies :innocent:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Using the entrails of disembowelled privileged white cis gender males

There is no law against being mocked/offended. People need to lighten up and learn to take a joke. We Brits have been the subject of lampooning for centuries – do we cry about it like little *****es? No. We have that stip upper lip after all

Might wanna brush up on your history of physiology, Democracy, and modern medicine before Med School hun

I’ll save you the journey: what they’re like is stale as **** :yawn: Source: Have worked for a metropolitan uni student's union and visited others
    But there is nothing to laugh about?

If I saw someone trying to appropriate middle eastern culture,yes I be very vocal about it and not just me alone I imagine. I am again the exploitation of somebody else's culture especially where the person appropriating it has little knowledge about the history and tradition of said culture.

I think I have mastered all three topic already

KCL is a very diverse uni,I'm genuinely interested in going to check it out. I don't remember any of this stuff happening whilst I was there tho

ReputationRep:
    But there is nothing to laugh about?
    There's always something to laugh about, hence the fancy dress themed event in the first place, use your imagination, don't run the risk of becoming just another brainwashed, humourless drone! :naughty:

If I saw someone trying to appropriate middle eastern culture, yes I be very vocal about it
    Don't recall you protesting owt like this in the past..

Spoiler:
    Show

I think I have mastered all three topic already
    Hehe. We have much still to learn, my young padawan. Always remember my words: "integrity, charity, and humility are chief among virtues"

KCL is a very diverse uni,I'm genuinely interested in going to check it out
    Ok, well perhaps I will take you at the appropriate juncture. Perhaps we could shoot some interviews together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    There's always something to laugh about, hence the fancy dress themed event in the first place, use your imagination, don't run the risk of becoming just another brainwashed, humourless drone! :naughty:

Don't recall you protesting owt like this in the past..

Spoiler:
    Show

Hehe. We have much still to learn, my young padawan. Always remember my words: "integrity, charity, and humility are chief among virtues"

Ok, well perhaps I will take you at the appropriate juncture. Perhaps we could shoot some interviews together
    I'm glad the party got cancelled,I find it pretty humourless to be mocking other people's culture.

Hah,the kardashians have been also the subject of cultural appropriation. I remember when Khloe went to Dubai or Saudia Arabia and she was wearing middle eastern attire and posing in a way that looked seductive and being praised for looking sexy ,meanwhile Arab women are being told they're oppressed when they wear similar things. It's not fair. I remember when Scott disick wore a thawb for Halloween and talked about getting 'Arab money' and people were non stop ranting on Twitter about him making a mockery of our attire. It's distasteful

I know that,I'm always open to learning more,ofcourse

That's so cool. We will have to travel to all campuses okay. But first start of with my campus in London Bridge

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad the party got cancelled,I find it pretty humourless to be mocking other people's culture.
    http://www.gspellchecker.com/2016/02...sts-in-arabic/

Some Arabs (I reiterate not all) don't think kindly of certain people.

I am not willing to judge all Arabs based on their tweets, but it does not give a good indication.

Anyway, you may not find it humourless but others (including other Arabs) may do. For example, the King of Jordan invited Russel Peters to his palace, despite him being a comedian that mocked Arab culture. What right or entitlement do you have to block this because you find it "humourless" (or offensive). You seem to look at one (bad) side of comedy, comedy and satire has been used to point out flaws in certain things in a way most people would otherwise find it uncomfortable to talk about. So, the effect of comedy and satire has on our development (of all cultures) should not be understated imo. If we don't allow ourselves to be mocked, laugh at ourselves or even look at ourselves critically, how can we expect to improve.

I do agree with you that there is just mindless bigotry, but the vast majority (almost all) of "cultural appropriation" is not that.

ReputationRep:
    You know a thread has gone to **** when Foo.mp3 and queen-bee start thirsting over all it

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad the party got cancelled,I find it pretty humourless to be mocking other people's culture
    When did you become such a lacklustre kill-joy? Have you never been to fancy dress parties? Why should cultures get special treatment/somehow be off limits? :erm:

It's distasteful
    Do you think a white girl like Kim wearing bell dancing gear is distasteful?

I know that,I'm always open to learning more,ofcourse

We will have to travel to all campuses okay. But first start of with my campus in London Bridge
    It's a date. I have all the gear, ready to go - all I need now is a suitably glamorous interviewer :flutter:

(Original post by StrangeBanana)
    You know a thread has gone to **** when Foo.mp3 and queen-bee start thirsting over all it
    Haha. True, true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Well there was reggae night, although they banned blacking up, so many opted for the use of heavy fake tan and fake dread locks.
    The 1st rugby team dressed as terrorists, all Islamic of course.
    Bavarian Beer Night with oompah band and steins.

You would have loved it.
    And best of all, I was the Equality and Diversity Officer for the SU.
    Incredible. :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.