Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    That's not what I've said

I,a person of middle eastern heritage cant dress up as an Arab princess character? Are you serious?! (1)

What religion got to do with cultural appropriation? Religious hate speech is just as bad as race hate. (2)

You're allowed to upset me all you like but cultural appropriation,no matter who is appropriating the culture,shouldn't be acceptable if it's mocking and exploiting said culture. (3)

I as a Levantine/Italian,wouldn't decide to go and exploit another person's culture and take all the credit for it. (4)
    (1) Are you an Arab?

(2) I don't know. Who mentioned hate speech?

(3) So my Aussie and French examples are forbidden?

(4) I don't understand this business of taking credit for someone else's culture. Which of my examples cover that? How can that happen?

Every country/group of people has a culture. It's what brings people closer and identify with one another
    That's all well and good, but why does this make it the exclusive right of people who happen to have been born into it by the sheerest accident? Especially in a multicultural country -- it seems like you almost endorse people living in their little niches and never integrating (which is all this 'appropriation' ruckus is really about).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    That's all well and good, but why does this make it the exclusive right of people who happen to have been born into it by the sheerest accident? Especially in a multicultural country -- it seems like you almost endorse people living in their little niches and never integrating (which is all this 'appropriation' ruckus is really about).
    Integration is good,it's needed! But exploiting another person's culture? Nah

ReputationRep:
    never integrating (which is all this 'appropriation' ruckus is really about).
    Yes. It forces non-assimilation.

ReputationRep:
    Every country/group of people has a culture. It's what brings people closer and identify with one another
    That's not even an answer :lol:. I cringe every time I see you attempt to argue. You post zero facts and sources for your claims.

ReputationRep:
    I as a Levantine/Italian,wouldn't decide to go and exploit another person's culture and take all the credit for it.
    Okay, Domino's. American chain that profits by selling a heavily modified version of an Italian foodstuff. Okay, or not?

Integration is good,it's needed! But exploiting another person's culture? Nah
    Define 'exploiting' as used in this sense, please.

Do any of Good bloke's examples constitute cultural 'exploitation', in your view?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babawunga)
    That's not even an answer :lol:. I cringe every time I see you attempt to argue. You post zero facts and sources for your claims.
    Great story

ReputationRep:
    good. be respectful to other people's cultures

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I've said

I,a person of middle eastern heritage cant dress up as an Arab princess character? Are you serious?!

What religion got to do with cultural appropriation? Religious hate speech is just as bad as race hate.

You're allowed to upset me all you like but cultural appropriation,no matter who is appropriating the culture,shouldn't be acceptable if it's mocking and exploiting said culture.

I as a Levantine/Italian,wouldn't decide to go and exploit another person's culture and take all the credit for it.
    Explain something for me. Why are you permitted to wear traditional Arab dress, but not me? Did you invent it? Did you copywrite it? Do you even wear it in everyday life? Are you even from Arabia? By wearing it, you are 'exploiting' it and taking just about as much 'credit' (for literally doing nothing) as I am. And simply because, by mere accident of birth, you have Middle Eastern family members, that doesn't entitle you to a clothing style any more than anybody else.

We're all free human beings here, and we can dress in whichever cultural style we damn well please, be it for business or pleasure. And if somebody is so fragile and insecure that they cannot handle mockery of their culture (which they actually have no ownership of in the first place), that's their issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Okay, Domino's. American chain that profits by selling a heavily modified version of an Italian foodstuff. Okay, or not?
    Cultural appropriation right there :laugh:

I kid

ReputationRep:
    Cultural appropriation right there :laugh:

I kid
    Could you explain for me exactly why you don't think that's cultural appropriation? Because it appears to me to satisfy your criteria.

ReputationRep:
    princess jasmine is supposedly supposed to be from the middle east? So how am i appropriating middle eastern culture if I already follow the culture myself?
    No dear, you are endorsing Disney appropriation of ME culture through their illustration of Jasmine. Capeesh? :dry:

Kim Kardashian is therefore lending a hand to american cultural appropriation?
    That, and engaging in cultural appropriation herself, by your standards, as she’s not Arabic

Not necessarily acting out her character, but dressing up, sure
    Wonder what the cultural appropriation brigade would have to say about this Lawrence character repeatedly ‘appropriating’ a certain bounteous Jasmine look-a-like? :sexface:

So that would suggest there is one standard of beauty, which is the European standard and anybody that falls outside that category is deemed exotic?
    Not beauty, as such, general aesthetic e.g. features, style, and presentation

what good comes out of Kim Imitating a Disney character?
    She gets more attention, fame, and money, pleases her fans, inspires Western domiciled Eastern chicks to explore their expressive/sexual sides, and boosts sales of ME garments, for example

People take cultural and racial issues very seriously
    Tell me about it :rolleyes:

I just don't see the big deal,if these victims are actually affected by these issue,for the university providing them with a space
    It’s not as simple as that. It’s a policy e.g. at KCL SU, that every single meeting that is hosted by them/using their facilities, should constitute a safe space. That blanket bullcrap is ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    Could you explain for me exactly why you don't think that's cultural appropriation? Because it appears to me to satisfy your criteria.
    Dude stop, you're forcing her to think.

Define 'exploiting' as used in this sense, please.

Do any of Good bloke's examples constitute cultural 'exploitation', in your view?
    Going to respond to this, queen-bee? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Ever the optimist... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babawunga)
    Dude stop, you're forcing her to think.
    Keyboard warrior

ReputationRep:
    Going to respond to this, queen-bee? :beard:
    Somebody's impatient!

Somebody of a different culture(mostly the majority culture) taking credit for something the minority culture never received is what I meant by that

ReputationRep:
    Keyboard warrior
    Are you going to answer my points?

Somebody's impatient!
    Sorry, but you did abruptly end the conversation a few hours ago and I didn't want to just throw away the progress we're making this time round.

Somebody of a different culture(mostly the majority culture) taking credit for something the minority culture never received is what I meant by that
    Okay, now what do you mean by 'taking credit?' Do any of Good bloke's examples on the previous page constitute 'taking credit?' And why is the majority/minority culture divide relevant here, given that you're pro-integration?

Edit: I meant Good bloke's examples on page 19 -- didn't realise that my comment would end up on the next page.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.