Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    Wellcome to the club. :cool:
    Do you still not agree about the Arab Jews conversation we had?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    This thread has now turned into people trying to police my own heritage :laugh:
    No one would care about your heritage, except that you constantly use it as a weapon on TSR to proclaim yourself an expert on everything and to shoot down other people's opinions. With you it's always 'I'm Syrian/Arab/Levantine and I know everything about the Middle East so don't dare to disagree with me'. Then literally on the very next page, you'll be all 'I'm British, it's racist of you to tell me I'm not'. Then on the next page, suddenly you'll be Italian when you want to make some generalisation about Europeans. I remember a few months ago on a thread about 'Ahmed the Clock Boy', you even confidently asserted that Texans are racist and that no one can possibly disagree with you on this because your mum once lived in New York for three weeks or six months or whatever it was, and of course this makes you an expert on 320 million Americans and gives you the right to condemn millions of them as racist. If you don't want people discussing your heritage, then stop talking about it in nearly every post you make. No one else here feels the need to proclaim their ancestry dozens of times a day on TSR. If you're confident in your arguments, then make them, and stop turning everything into identity politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achaea)
    No one would care about your heritage, except that you constantly use it as a weapon on TSR to proclaim yourself an expert on everything and to shoot down other people's opinions. With you it's always 'I'm Syrian/Arab/Levantine and I know everything about the Middle East so don't dare to disagree with me'. Then literally on the very next page, you'll be all 'I'm British, it's racist of you to tell me I'm not'. Then on the next page, suddenly you'll be Italian when you want to make some generalisation about Europeans. I remember a few months ago on a thread about 'Ahmed the Clock Boy', you even confidently asserted that Texans are racist and that no one can possibly disagree with you on this because your mum once lived in New York for three weeks or six months or whatever it was, and of course this makes you an expert on 320 million Americans and gives you the right to condemn millions of them as racist. If you don't want people discussing your heritage, then stop talking about it in nearly every post you make. No one else here feels the need to proclaim their ancestry dozens of times a day on TSR. If you're confident in your arguments, then make them, and stop turning everything into identity politics.
    I have always made it clear to people where my parents are from,it even on my profile for those of you,like yourself who are confused. I have never stated I was fully Syrian. And I've never stated my mother has lived in America for 3-6 months,so again,get a grip and get with the facts. She spent most of her time there studying and worked lived there before she moved to the UK and returned there later on,which I have visited numerous times. In This particular thread I was talking about the police force as a whole .Just goes to show you don't know much about me after all I only claim it in threads like this where people are telling me I can't appropriate Italian or middle eastern culture,this thread is about cultures anyway and people are telling me what I can and can't do so yes I had to bring it up . If y'all are still confused. I am Levantine and my father was an Italian. So that makes me half Syrian and half Italian. Is that simple enough? I can still choose to identify as being British or am I not allowed to?

Posting this here for you information,I have never suddenly been 'italian' always have been and always will be http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3903097

Now stop policing people's heritages please

ReputationRep:
    In a way being part of an identity does allow you a certain authority if that identity is being discussed. We can learn on an academic level about a lot of stuff but when you actually have experienced something the understanding of a situation is a lot more powerful and accurate. There is a lot of ignorance both on here and in general about Syria- people forming all of their opinions through the media- and queen bee is the one of the only people on this forum who actually seems to really understand the complexity of the situation in Syria, from what I've observed.

On this forum (and in life) there is a lot of bigotry and stubborn behaviour and referring to an identity is a way to highlight that first hand knowledge of a situation is far superior to knowledge acquired from biased media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    In a way being part of an identity does allow you a certain authority if that identity is being discussed. We can learn on an academic level about a lot of stuff but when you actually have experienced something the understanding of a situation is a lot more powerful and accurate. There is a lot of ignorance both on here and in general about Syria- people forming all of their opinions through the media- and queen bee is the one of the only people on this forum who actually seems to really understand the complexity of the situation in Syria, from what I've observed.

On this forum (and in life) there is a lot of bigotry and stubborn behaviour and referring to an identity is a way to highlight that first hand knowledge of a situation is far superior to knowledge acquired from biased media.
    Thank you,Emma. There is a lot of ignorance on TSR concerning the Middle East in general,bear in mind half of these people have probably never stepped foot in Syria let anyone any other ME countries. What baffles me most is that they think they are more knowledgable and experienced than a person who is from that particular country,speaks the language and identifies with the culture because of a few things they've seen on the news.

ReputationRep:

That's great. Can you maybe cite or link to some of these posts where she discusses 'the complexity of the situation in Syria' rather than just dismissing people's points with 'that's never happened to me personally in the Middle East'?

ReputationRep:
    That's great. Can you maybe cite or link to some of these posts where she discusses 'the complexity of the situation in Syria' rather than just dismissing people's points with 'that's never happened to me personally in the Middle East'?
    Check out my bashar al Assad thread boo, you seem to be quite into me, very flattered. Tell me,have you ever been to the Middle East?

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular belief I do have a life. I cba to go through all of her TSR posts right now. I think you know that that's not really a reasonable request and you're one of these people who is like 'ha no citation I'm right'?

I have been on a lot of threads challenging the ignorance about the situation which is unbelievably ingrained and Queen Bee has quite often got there before me or is responding to people in parallel.I've seen her do this both with and without reference to being Syrian. I only recently began to talk to her on a personal level about stuff but before that I had great respect for her efforts to dispel all these myths about the situation because the myths and the lack of understanding is problematic.

I don't know much about her views on other subjects and I'm not gonna trawl through her post history to find out but from my interactions and observations in threads about or referring to geopolitics in the Middle East she simply has come out to me as a person who gets this situation on a level that cannot be understood by watching BBC news and reading the daily mail.

ReputationRep:
    Check out my bashar al Assad thread boo, you seem to be quite into me, very flattered. Tell me,have you ever been to the Middle East?
    Have I ever claimed to? Have I ever said anything about Syria or the Middle East on TSR? No. So stop spouting irrelevancies.

And just for fun, because it's deeply funny:

Do you see me call myself an Arab? No!
    I'm an Arab,a Christian Arab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    (1) Are you an Arab?

(2) I don't know. Who mentioned hate speech?

(3) So my Aussie and French examples are forbidden?

(4) I don't understand this business of taking credit for someone else's culture. Which of my examples cover that? How can that happen?
    I'm a Levantine but may choose to refer to myself as an Arab when talking to people who have no clue what a Levantine person is

You mentioned hating atheists.

Nope. These are majority not minorities so I'm guess they don't fit the cultural appropriation definition

Okay for example, let's say your wife comes to the middle and she decides to wear the long black robe garment and posing to attract attention,she later posts this on social media and is praised for looking sexy in it. Meanwhile,a middle eastern girl,who is wearing the same thing is said to be oppressed and not free,told she shouldn't be covered up etc

ReputationRep:
    Have I ever claimed to? Have I ever said anything about Syria or the Middle East on TSR? No. So stop spouting irrelevancies.

And just for fun, because it's deeply funny:
    good. If you're uneducated about a particular matter it's best not to say anything about it at all.

Deeply funny or because you have nothing else constructive to add? If I choose to identify as an Arab to avoid confusion I will,stop me

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular belief I do have a life. I cba to go through all of her TSR posts right now. I think you know that that's not really a reasonable request and you're one of these people who is like 'ha no citation I'm right'?

I have been on a lot of threads challenging the ignorance about the situation which is unbelievably ingrained and Queen Bee has quite often got there before me or is responding to people in parallel.I've seen her do this both with and without reference to being Syrian. I only recently began to talk to her on a personal level about stuff but before that I had great respect for her efforts to dispel all these myths about the situation because the myths and the lack of understanding is problematic.

I don't know much about her views on other subjects and I'm not gonna trawl through her post history to find out but from my interactions and observations in threads about or referring to geopolitics in the Middle East she simply has come out to me as a person who gets this situation on a level that cannot be understood by watching BBC news and reading the daily mail.
    'Contrary to popular belief I do have a life'. Errrrr, OK, if you say so. I don't have the faintest idea who you are, I'm afraid, so if lots of TSR members are claiming that you don't have a life, I'm sorry? I guess? That must suck.

OK, if you say so. If you've seen evidence of complex thinking, that's great. I'll take your word for it. You're far too busy to look for evidence, obviously. Interesting how two people can see things so differently. I've seen a lot of the poster's comments on TSR and have rarely if ever seen anything beyond 'I'm Syrian and therefore I'm right so shut up'. As I said, interesting.

ReputationRep:

She has nothing else to add and is looking for attention

ReputationRep:
    'Contrary to popular belief I do have a life'. Errrrr, OK, if you say so. I don't have the faintest idea who you are, I'm afraid, so if lots of TSR members are claiming that you don't have a life, I'm sorry? I guess? That must suck.

OK, if you say so. If you've seen evidence of complex thinking, that's great. I'll take your word for it. You're far too busy to look for evidence, obviously. Interesting how two people can see things so differently. I've seen a lot of the poster's comments on TSR and have rarely if ever seen anything beyond 'I'm Syrian and therefore I'm right so shut up'. As I said, interesting.
    That's right baby.

I'm Syrian, have been to Syria, know the ins and out f Syria so it's really funny when people come up wth the most absurd claims about our culture/country

ReputationRep:

My contrary to popular belief comment was just a tongue in cheek joke :rofl: I wasn't talking just about TSR in that I was just parodying the fact I don't really have a life and I'm not really a real person! Sorry I need to highlight my sarcasm or be explicit about it :facepalm2:

Yeah I guess that's the thing, we've obviously both observed different things and then made different interpretations but that's just being human. Also I haven't seen everything queen bee has ever commented on ever it's just my opinion from the stuff I have observed.

ReputationRep:
    She has nothing else to add and is looking for attention
    I'm just saying it how I see it from the threads I have seen you talking about Syria on. I cba to trawl through and find these particular instances but I know it's true because my brain is telling me so and my brain is the bomb.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just saying it how I see it from the threads I have seen you talking about Syria on. I cba to trawl through and find these particular instances but I know it's true because my brain is telling me so and my brain is the bomb.
    Never underestimate the power of the the human brain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    No dear, you are endorsing Disney appropriation of ME culture through their illustration of Jasmine. Capeesh? :dry:

That, and engaging in cultural appropriation herself, by your standards, as she’s not Arabic

Wonder what the cultural appropriation brigade would have to say about this Lawrence character repeatedly ‘appropriating’ a certain bounteous Jasmine look-a-like? :sexface:

Not beauty, as such, general aesthetic e.g. features, style, and presentation

She gets more attention, fame, and money, pleases her fans, inspires Western domiciled Eastern chicks to explore their expressive/sexual sides, and boosts sales of ME garments, for example

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

It’s not as simple as that. It’s a policy e.g. at KCL SU, that every single meeting that is hosted by them/using their facilities, should constitute a safe space. That blanket bullcrap is ridiculous!
    Exactly,Kim K shouldn't be appropriating our culture.

What do you mean by that? :innocent:

Yes and that is unacceptable

I guess it their uni and their money so they can do whatever they like with it

ReputationRep:
    Do you understand sarcasm at all? Do you think I should put a different font on for sarcastic comments? It's something I've been thinking about recently. Would it help?

Best ask QB. She's the intellectual giant around here.

ReputationRep:
    Best ask QB. She's the intellectual giant around here.
    Well I would ask her about stuff I know she has knowledge of but she hasn't misinterpreted my sarcasm so she wouldn't be a good person to ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.