You would make an excellent slave.
    Lmfao.

(Original post by Ethereal World)
    You would make an excellent slave.
    :lolwut:

:run:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You mis-tagged in a few other posts as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Why are you obsessed with your heritage?

I am genuinely curious.
    I'm not? So now talking about one's heritage means they're obsessed?

Im proud to be a Syrian and an Italian just like you're proud to be British

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I'm not? So now talking about one's heritage means they're obsessed?
    No, you talk about your heritage on a regular basis, it is even on your profile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    :lolwut:

:run:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You mis-tagged in a few other posts as well.
    Y'all wanna turn this into a witch hunt so bad, I know secretly some of these kids believe cultural appropriation exists but don't want to risk looking uncool on an anonymous student forum.

ReputationRep:
    No, you talk about your heritage on a regular basis, it is even on your profile.
    Most of the threads where I do talk about my heritage concerns the Middle East,so it's relevant. I have been insulted many times and racially abused on here for being an Arab but not once for being an Italian. So what if it's on my profile? My heritage is part of my identity lol

Y'all wanna turn this into a witch hunt so bad, I know secretly some of these kids believe cultural appropriation exists but don't want to risk looking uncool on an anonymous student forum.
    I'm only joking about Ethereal World tagging the wrong person. No witch hunt on my part. :beard:

Also, speaking only for myself: I don't believe cultural appropriation is a real thing, secretly or otherwise, and I'd encourage you to take what people say at face value instead of assuming the worst motives for them acting in a way that you don't like. I don't adhere to my position because it's 'cool' -- I get plenty of flak for holding unpopular opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I'm only joking about Ethereal World tagging the wrong person. No witch hunt on my part. :beard:

Also, speaking only for myself: I don't believe cultural appropriation is a real thing, secretly or otherwise, and I'd encourage you to take what people say at face value instead of assuming the worst motives for them acting in a way that you don't like.
    I'm sorry but whenever people talk about individual cases of cultural appropriation,it's not in a good way. The intent of the person attempting appropriate said culture always appears to be malicious in some form,from what I have observed anyway but feel free to show me otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Most of the threads where I do talk about my heritage concerns the Middle East,so it's relevant. I have been insulted many times and racially abused on here for being an Arab but not once for being an Italian. So what if it's on my profile? My heritage is part of my identity lol
    That is what I don't understand, why do you put so my weight on your heritage when it is so irrelevant.

I don't see why you care so much about your heritage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but whenever people talk about individual cases of cultural appropriation,it's not in a good way. The intent of the person attempting appropriate said culture always appears to be malicious in some form,from what I have observed anyway but feel free to show me otherwise
    So you dressing as Cleopatra was malicious?

ReputationRep:
    That is what I don't understand, why do you put so my weight on your heritage when it is so irrelevant.

I don't see why you care so much about your heritage.
    I don't 'care' so much but my heritage is what makes me who I am. What a silly question. Maybe your heritage is irrelevant to you but in certain other countries,one's heritage is a huge part of their identity and something to be proud of especially in the Middle East. I really don't get that sense in the UK so I can see why you might say that

ReputationRep:
    So you dressing as Cleopatra was malicious?
    Nope. I wasn't doing it intentionally and had no idea that cultural appropriation existed back in my uni days and cleopatra is middle eastern/medittaranean,so is it really cultural appropriation?

ReputationRep:
    The real tragedy is these morons go to Cambridge. Are the entry standards so low these days that SJW can get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    The real tragedy is these morons go to Cambridge. Are the entry standards so low these days that SJW can get in?
    I don't think they ask that at the interview

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I wasn't doing it intentionally and had no idea that cultural appropriation existed back in my uni days and cleopatra is middle eastern/medittaranean,so is it really cultural appropriation?
    She was Macedonian Greek. Yes even if you are not aware it doesn't void it. You culturally appropriated their culture without understanding history or context. But was it malicious?

The problem here is that you aren't following a straight line of thought (from what I can see, and I mean that in the nicest way possible). You keep declaring people 'victims' before we've even established that they are -- you seem to operate on the assumption that they are victims by default and that any debate must proceed only after accepting this to be true, which is just not how you debate an issue of this kind.

Anyway, plenty of examples have been cited on this thread. Curry, or the heavily modified version of it found in British restaurants, is a popular food in Britain. If I make some right now, am I stealing something from the Indian community? If you say yes, then you must prove that they had ownership/copyright of this in the first place, which you haven't done so far.

You have also not managed to reconcile your pro-integration worldview with this culture-ownership model that you're arguing for. You cannot have an assimilated multicultural society if you insist on these nonsense barriers that make it taboo to eat the wrong thing, wear the wrong clothes, or get the wrong haircut. The proper word for that is (self-imposed) segregation, and I'm sure that not many people want that.

Cleopatra was the Queen of Egypt. :erm: You're only proving how arbitrary and open to dispute these cultural boundaries are.

ReputationRep:
    I don't 'care' so much but my heritage is what makes me who I am. What a silly question. Maybe your heritage is irrelevant to you but in certain other countries,one's heritage is a huge part of their identity and something to be proud of especially in the Middle East. I really don't get that sense in the UK so I can see why you might say that
    What makes you who you are is your actions and experiences, not your ethnicity.

Pride is reserved for your own achievements not your your results of the genetic lottery.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they ask that at the interview
    They should do. This is a place of learning not idiocy.

(Original post by whorace)
    The price of measuring intelligence using academic grades only, I guess. :dontknow:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.