Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Freedom of religion.
    But not the freedom of wearing a sombrero or eating sushi?

ReputationRep:
    But these activists don't see it that way. All they see is somebody,who has little knowledge about their particular culture,trying to mock it or gain popularity and being praised for it by dressing a certain type of way.
    These "activists" can see it anyway they like, that is the beauty of the culture they reside in.

What is wrong with mocking culture?
    What is wrong with using culture for your own interests?

Nobody owns culture, it is free for anyone to use it however they please whether that be negatively or positively.

I'm genuinely interested in attending a safe space and talking to the students. I feel like cultural appropriation is a big issue that's being discussed a lot in the media,on our university campuses etc. So,it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts
    You need to prove you are PC first...

Remember all the privileges you need to check:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    But not the freedom of wearing a sombrero or eating sushi?
    That would be freedom of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    Cultural appropriation is a thing! lol you'll only hear otherwise from certain whites and ethnic sellouts.
    What does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    These "activists" can see it anyway they like, that is the beauty of the culture they reside in.

What is wrong with mocking culture?
    What is wrong with using culture for your own interests?

Nobody owns culture, it is free for anyone to use it however they please whether that be negatively or positively.
    No,mocking somebody else's culture isn't acceptable. Cultural appropriation is a real issue,I've seen and heard the stories . I don't know why y'all are trivialising it.

ReputationRep:
    Being an alumni of KCL,I'm going to go back and check if we have a safe spot for students to discuss cultural appropriation issues on campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    What does this mean?
    Think about it.
    Ethnic as in usually that refers to person of colour
    and sellout...someone who is a person of colour and doesn't show integrity against the social and racial issues that affect people of colour..for being people of colour.

ReputationRep:
    No,mocking somebody else's culture isn't acceptable. Cultural appropriation is a real issue,I've seen and heard the stories . I don't know why y'all are trivialising it.
    Why is it not acceptable? Does mocking someone's culture necessarily cause severe harm to that culture? Also, culture in principio is not necessarily a positive thing. Is the culture of white nationalists not something to be mocked? This is one of the problems with this loose movement, they've cottoned on to the idea that racism is illogical but have no idea how to get the message across in a practical manner without contradicting themselves. Of course, the only solution to the latter problem is free speech.

ReputationRep:
    Because it is bull****.

Cultural appropriation is only ever mentioned when it is a culture not involving white people. It essentially means white people can't do x or y.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Because it is bull****.

Cultural appropriation is only ever mentioned when it is a culture not involving white people. It essentially means white people can't do x or y.
    Why is that so?

What are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Why is it not acceptable? Does mocking someone's culture necessarily cause severe harm to that culture? Also, culture in principio is not necessarily a positive thing. Is the culture of white nationalists not something to be mocked? This is one of the problems with this loose movement, they've cottoned on to the idea that racism is illogical but have no idea how to get the message across in a practical manner without contradicting themselves. Of course, the only solution to the latter problem is free speech.
    So free speech for almost anything and everything including hate speech again groups of people in society? Really?

ReputationRep:
    Think about it.
    Ethnic as in usually that refers to person of colour
    and sellout...someone who is a person of colour and doesn't show integrity against the social and racial issues that affect people of colour..for being people of colour.
    This is a pretty good example of where anti-racists go off the rails. They realise that racism is illogical, but get themselves into knots by going against free expression, in this case by implying people have special responsibilities due to the colour of their skin, which is an inherently racist idea.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes resorting to calling someone a troll who disagrees with you. That's a new one. Look if you aren't intellectually capable of discussing this productively, please click on another forum. You must be "triggered" with these embarrassingly vapid comments.
    Says the one who called "ethnic sellouts" the people of colour who disagree with him.

The irony.

ReputationRep:
    No one seems to have a problem appropriating Western culture of modern medicine, industry and democracy. I suppose the rest of the world's people don't want to go back to living in a poverty and pestilence ridden hell hole where you were lucky to live beyond the age of 35.

ReputationRep:
    Why is that so?

What are you talking about?
    You have read all the stories, when has cultural appropriation ever been about someone appropriating Western Culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Says the one who called "ethnic sellouts" the people of colour who disagree with him.

The irony.
    That's not even a properly constructed sentence, nor is it completely thought out.

Do you understand what is going on here?

(Oh Lord here comes DiddyDec! :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    Being an alumni of KCL,I'm going to go back and check if we have a safe spot for students to discuss cultural appropriation issues on campus
    They already do -
    http://www.kclsu.org/pageassets/poli...ace-Policy.pdf

From looking at this, it would appear KCL's Safe Space staff have the power to forcibly remove anyone they disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roofas)
    No one seems to have a problem appropriating Western culture of modern medicine, industry and democracy. I suppose the rest of the world's people don't want to go back to living in a poverty and pestilence ridden hell hole where you were lucky to live beyond the age of 35.
    If I recall,the Arabs gave us algebra,numbers,knowledge on medicine or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    So free speech for almost anything and everything including hate speech again groups of people in society? Really?
    Yes, actually. Free speech encompasses practically anything that's not illegal. 'Illegal' would be explicitly inciting violence or otherwise law-breaking actions. This seems to be a surprising concept to a lot of people but it's not productive or even necessary to legally enforce every potentially harmful action. And 'potentially' is the key word here since the threat of a non-inciting comment is something entirely construed in the mind of the supposed victim.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.