Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Mostly illogical drivel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which sums up cultural appropriation very neatly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    I am confused. This thread has been going on for 37 pages.
    What is everyone talking about? What is there in the topic of cultural appropriation that can fuel 37 pages worth of debate?
    LOADS! its great I'm really enjoying the party musics great fancy a drink?

WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN a cambridge Egyptian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Her mother was born in Germany so it would be correct to say a 'grandparent came from a country......'
    Hahah she still identified as being Syrian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You have not understood it, yet you pile in and support it when it is clear you have not understood the enormity of its ridiculous nature. It does you no credit.

How does it trivialise historical violent oppression? In its supporters' eyes you, not an Egyptian-Greek-Macedonian, trivialise the oppression visited on her subjects by an ancient despot queen by lauding her when dressing as her. You can see this for yourself by reading what you have quoted above. You are happy to spread a distorted stereotype by portraying her in your costume.

Yet you claim this is OK because you can speak Arabic and your parent came from a country a few hundred miles away from where she lived, though forgetting she spoke Greek, not Arabic. If dressing as Cleopatra does, indeed, trivialise her misdeeds does it matter what the origins of the person dressing as her are? Of course not!

But isn't two thousand years a long enough time to allow to pass and let grudges pass away? I'd have thought so. In which case, why shouldn't anyone dress as Cleopatra?

Surely you must see the folly of this silly concept?

I have understood some parts of it at least,but it's more than cultural appropriation apparently there's also elements of racism involved. I'm still reading up on it

Nobody is stopping you from also dressing up as cleopatra my dear. Sure,some aspects of it are somewhat confusing but I get why people are complaining about cultural appropriation and given counselling

ReputationRep:
    The definition of tenuous links.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She was still a proud Levantine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I'm still reading up on it
    Perhaps you can explain why you leapt in to defend and support the concept before you understood. It. I hope you don't do anything similar as a medical student or doctor.

ReputationRep:
    She was still a proud Levantine
    A German Levantine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you can explain why you leapt in to defend and support the concept before you understood. It. I hope you don't do anything similar as a medical student or doctor.
    I do understand,like I've said,it covers more than just 'cultural appropriation' , it's is a huge topic

ReputationRep:
    A German Levantine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never heard her call herself that once but yes it makes sense

ReputationRep:
    given counselling
    Anyone that needs counselling for cultural appropriation should take good look at their lives and work out where they went so wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Why shouldn't a doctor defend concepts or something? Whats the harm in that, some people?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone that needs counselling for cultural appropriation should take good look at their lives and work out where they went so wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely what counsellors are there for, wazok.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I chuckled! Give them a break,they're clearly distraught by this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    Precisely what counsellors are there for, wazok.
    No, counsellors are for people who actually need help, not someone who saw a white person eating a curry.

I chuckled! Give them a break,they're clearly distraught by this
    No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, counsellors are for people who actually need help, not someone who saw a white person eating a curry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong counsellors are for people who can afford one.

ReputationRep:

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you don't have any empathy?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I do understand,like I've said,it covers more than just 'cultural appropriation' , it's is a huge topic
    How can cultural appropriation include more than cultural appropriation? Is it like the Tardis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)

Damn you!! Now I have to retreat to my safe space, listen to some calming whale music and hug a golden retriever for about 5 hours.
    PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    Why shouldn't a doctor defend concepts or something? Whats the harm in that, some people?
    The problem lies in supporting something you don't understand. Take the vaccination and autism scandal. Would you think it a good idea that doctors leap in and support those that claimed that MMR vaccine causes autism without examining the evidence and understanding the issue first? I don't.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.