Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I'm still reading up on it
    Perhaps you can explain why you leapt in to defend and support the concept before you understood. It. I hope you don't do anything similar as a medical student or doctor.

ReputationRep:
    She was still a proud Levantine
    A German Levantine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Perhaps you can explain why you leapt in to defend and support the concept before you understood. It. I hope you don't do anything similar as a medical student or doctor.
    I do understand,like I've said,it covers more than just 'cultural appropriation' , it's is a huge topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    A German Levantine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never heard her call herself that once but yes it makes sense

ReputationRep:
    given counselling
    Anyone that needs counselling for cultural appropriation should take good look at their lives and work out where they went so wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Why shouldn't a doctor defend concepts or something? Whats the harm in that, some people?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone that needs counselling for cultural appropriation should take good look at their lives and work out where they went so wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely what counsellors are there for, wazok.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I chuckled! Give them a break,they're clearly distraught by this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    Precisely what counsellors are there for, wazok.
    No, counsellors are for people who actually need help, not someone who saw a white person eating a curry.

I chuckled! Give them a break,they're clearly distraught by this
    No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, counsellors are for people who actually need help, not someone who saw a white person eating a curry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong counsellors are for people who can afford one.

ReputationRep:

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you don't have any empathy?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I do understand,like I've said,it covers more than just 'cultural appropriation' , it's is a huge topic
    How can cultural appropriation include more than cultural appropriation? Is it like the Tardis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)

Damn you!! Now I have to retreat to my safe space, listen to some calming whale music and hug a golden retriever for about 5 hours.
    PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    Why shouldn't a doctor defend concepts or something? Whats the harm in that, some people?
    The problem lies in supporting something you don't understand. Take the vaccination and autism scandal. Would you think it a good idea that doctors leap in and support those that claimed that MMR vaccine causes autism without examining the evidence and understanding the issue first? I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahmoud X)
    Nobody seems to have noticed that safe spaces are usually warm and cosy.

What happens to snowflakes in such an environment?

Of course, keeping a snowflake in a freezer causes it to lose its unique properties completely too, so the moral of this is that snowflakes cannot be preserved.

ReputationRep:
    you don't have any empathy?
    Not for people complaining about non-issues. I couldn't care less if someone was using British culture for their own gain or a fashion statement. I wouldn't have a breakdown if I saw someone with a Union Jack or eating fish and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How can cultural appropriation include more than cultural appropriation? Is it like the Tardis?
    Ties in with racism too apparently,who knew

ReputationRep:
    Not for people complaining about non-issues. I couldn't care less if someone was using British culture for their own gain or a fashion statement. I wouldn't have a breakdown if I saw someone with a Union Jack or eating fish and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe to you these matters are just trivial but it looks not to others and the universities providing them with safe spaces

I really want to check out the KCL one and I wonder if my new university will have one

ReputationRep:
    Ties in with racism too apparently,who knew
    Part of the ridiculous concept is that it is racism. That does not mean that it is. Your dressing up as Cleopatra was especially bad because you are not of her race, did not speak the same language, come from a different continent and do not follow the same culture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.