Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahmoud X)
    Nobody seems to have noticed that safe spaces are usually warm and cosy.

What happens to snowflakes in such an environment?

Of course, keeping a snowflake in a freezer causes it to lose its unique properties completely too, so the moral of this is that snowflakes cannot be preserved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    you don't have any empathy?
    Not for people complaining about non-issues. I couldn't care less if someone was using British culture for their own gain or a fashion statement. I wouldn't have a breakdown if I saw someone with a Union Jack or eating fish and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How can cultural appropriation include more than cultural appropriation? Is it like the Tardis?
    Ties in with racism too apparently,who knew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Not for people complaining about non-issues. I couldn't care less if someone was using British culture for their own gain or a fashion statement. I wouldn't have a breakdown if I saw someone with a Union Jack or eating fish and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe to you these matters are just trivial but it looks not to others and the universities providing them with safe spaces

I really want to check out the KCL one and I wonder if my new university will have one

ReputationRep:
    Ties in with racism too apparently,who knew
    Part of the ridiculous concept is that it is racism. That does not mean that it is. Your dressing up as Cleopatra was especially bad because you are not of her race, did not speak the same language, come from a different continent and do not follow the same culture.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the ridiculous concept is that it is racism. That does not mean that it is. Your dressing up as Cleopatra was especially bad because you are not of her race, did not speak the same language, come from a different continent and do not follow the same culture.
    oh so Cleopatra wasn't Caucasian? she wasn't from the Mediterranean/north Africa? levantine culture is similar to greek/other Mediterranean cultures but just because i speak arabic.. I'm sorry my mother never really taught me the Language of our levantine people,Just the language we were given by the Arabs when they took over Syria along time ago.

This 'debate' is still ongoing? :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Unfortunately so

ReputationRep:
    oh so Cleopatra wasn't Caucasian? she wasn't from the Mediterranean/north Africa? levantine culture is similar to greek/other Mediterranean cultures but just because i speak arabic.. I'm sorry my mother never really taught me the Language of our levantine people,Just the language we were given by the Arabs when they took over Syria along time ago.
    Well, my mother never taught me any Celtic. However, some people who spoke those languages lived near where I live two thousand years ago. Does that mean I live in a similar culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Well, Queen-bee is still vigorously defending her right to glorify a despotic queen and trivialise her crimes and misdeeds by dressing up as her in fancy dress parties. This might be oppressive to some and should be stopped. She obviously has no empathy.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my mother never taught me any Celtic. However, some people who spoke those languages lived near where I live two thousand years ago. Does that mean I live in a similar culture?
    it's not just about the language. Do you share similar cultural practices?

ReputationRep:
    Well, Queen-bee is still vigorously defending her right to glorify a despotic queen and trivialise her crimes and misdeeds by dressing up as her in fancy dress parties. This might be oppressive to some and should be stopped. She obviously has no empathy.
    If I dressed up as pocohantas,Then that would be cultural appropriation and btw I am In no way trivialising her crimes

ReputationRep:
    it's not just about the language. Do you share similar cultural practices?
    You miss the point. CA (I can't keep typing it in full) seeks to protect people from the traumatising effects of nasty people being glorified and their misdeeds trivialised (among other things. I would have thought that, as a card-carrying member of the Bleeding Hearts and Equality Society, you would support that aim. It was in the quotation you have twice used to explain CA.

Yet, here you are, vigorously asserting your right to do exactly that, regardless of the trauma it causes to those you obviously cannot have empathy for. You haven't thought it through at all, have you?

ReputationRep:
    If I dressed up as pocohantas,Then that would be cultural appropriation and btw I am In no way trivialising her crimes
    Dressing up as Cleopatra clearing breaches the principles and aims of CA. You quoted it yourself. It seeks to put a stop to the trivialisation of crimes. You seek to trivialise Cleopatra's despotic crimes. You should be ashamed of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You miss the point. CA (I can't keep typing it in full) seeks to protect people from the traumatising effects of nasty people being glorified and their misdeeds trivialised (among other things. I would have thought that, as a card-carrying member of the Bleeding Hearts and Equality Society, you would support that aim. It was in the quotation you have twice used to explain CA.

Yet, here you are, vigorously asserting your right to do exactly that, regardless of the trauma it causes to those you obviously cannot have empathy for. You haven't thought it through at all, have you?
    I am flattered that you have referred to my humanitarian qualities

It's not cultural appropriation! I don't know of anybody that is affected by Cleopatra at this present time,do you? But i can see where you are coming from but it's still not cultural appropriation for the reasons I've stated.

You know what else comes to mind actually,that film,Exodus: gods and kings,is that also cultural appropriation? There was an uproar when it first came out

ReputationRep:
    Dressing up as Cleopatra clearing breaches the principles and aims of CA. You quoted it yourself. It seeks to put a stop to the trivialisation of crimes. You seek to trivialise Cleopatra's despotic crimes. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    interesting concept for someone who doesn't believe CA exists. I quoted it from a source another member has graced us with. I shall bear that in mind. By dressing up as her I'm trivializing her crimes?

ReputationRep:
    By dressing up as her I'm trivializing her crimes?
    You came into this thread to support CA. You have quoted those words several times in that support effort. It is part of the CA thesis. You must therefore believe it.

ReputationRep:
    You came into this thread to support CA. You have quoted those words several times in that support effort. It is part of the CA thesis. You must therefore believe it.
    But that doesn't apply here. Because I'm not a majority trying to trivialise historic minority oppressions,I myself am a minority with similar cultural aspects as Greeks and Macedonians

ReputationRep:
    But that doesn't apply here. Because I'm not a majority trying to trivialise historic minority oppressions,I myself am a minority with similar cultural aspects as Greeks and Macedonians
    Again, you miss the point. If is a bad thing to trivialise oppression, then it is bad for you to do so. The CA point is that majorities are highly likely to hit raw nerves among minorities, while minorities are less likely to. You are arguing for the right to oppress people. Are you comfortable with that?

ReputationRep:
    Again, you miss the point. If is a bad thing to trivialise oppression, then it is bad for you to do so. The CA point is that majorities are highly likely to hit raw nerves among minorities, while minorities are less likely to. You are arguing for the right to oppress people. Are you comfortable with that?
    Who's culture am appropriating that isn't similar to my own???? So if a modern day Greek or Macedonian or Egyptian chose to dress up as her it's also cultural appropriation?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.