The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by queen-bee
If I recall,the Arabs gave us algebra,numbers,knowledge on medicine or am I wrong?

Naturally nearly every group in history has contributed to world progress, but the fact remains that without the Industrial Revolution that began in Europe (Britain specifically), the world would still be a backwards, agrarian society with a small group of elites ruling a serf-like population.

The world had stagnated for over a century before the Industrial Revolution occurred and without it we'd be living in a world of plagues, suffering and violence.
Original post by Unkempt_One
You're not wrong, but the vast bulk of the increase in life expectancy was thanks to scientific and medical advances by western countries, in particular the Anglosphere.

So how is that appropriating western culture?
Reply 62
Original post by somesomebody

That is being a sellout. Ignoring the very issues that affect you!

Perhaps it's not an issue.
Reply 63
The SJWs would hate for any sort of event to represent any culture or ideas differing from their own.
So how is that appropriating western culture?

Western culture has a massive effect on countries outside the West. Of course it's not appropriation though, appropriation is just a loaded term for what I'd call cultural transfer.
Original post by Josb
Perhaps it's not an issue.

How is racism not an issue?
(edited 7 years ago)
Western culture has a massive effect on countries outside the West. Of course it's not appropriation though, appropriation is just a loaded term for what I'd call cultural transfer.

What's with the western supremacy complex attitude?

No you're right,it's not appropriation because other places around the world also have high skilled doctors,democracy and practice modern medicine. These things are not specific to the west and never have been
Reply 67
How is racism not an issue?

Cultural appropriation is racism now? Explain to me how wearing a sombrero is racism.
(edited 7 years ago)

Lol there's cultural diffusion
and then cultural appropriation.

One of those is actually a good thing

An example of cultural appropriation is not what this stupid party is claimed to be

It's "news" like this that tars genuine issues. People have a field day crying about it because this is called "news."

A proper example would be:

a white actor in black face instead of giving the role to a black person

or a person from the West playing a person in the East/Amy jackson is white English and acts in Bollywood in spray tans and puts on a fake Indian accent
instead of just HIRING
an Indian person!

While she may "love India" it is cultural appropriation. And if I were a struggling Indian actress in India, I'd be PISSED.

That being said Amy is hot but still :colone:

@Josb
@josb
and a white person wearing a sombrero can be seen as racist mockery.

Like minstrel shows.

In slavery America, white people dressed up as black people, ridiculously so, and reenacted racist things.

Cringe isn't even the word!

They did the same with Native Indians. Like look at US films from the 60s and earlier. Maybe even later than the 60s. Knowing America. And they had white dudes dressed up like Chinese and Native Americans doing racist sh*t. or just stereotypical crap.

So I guarantee aware white people know certain things could be racist. And act against it.

Duh.

Also with Miley Cyris twerking.
She has done racist crap: stretching her eyes on cam to look Asian
and insensitive comments about black women in media

Yet she has appropriated/used other cultures
to gain success
Reply 70

An example of cultural appropriation is not what this stupid party is claimed to be

It's "news" like this that tars genuine issues. People have a field day crying about it because this is called "news."

or a person from the West playing a person in the East/Amy jackson is white English and acts in Bollywood in spray tans and puts on a fake Indian accent
instead of just HIRING
an Indian person!

While she may "love India" it is cultural appropriation. And if I were a struggling Indian actress in India, I'd be PISSED.

@Josb

If you don't like it, don't buy it.
What's with the western supremacy complex attitude?

No you're right,it's not appropriation because other places around the world also have high skilled doctors,democracy and practice modern medicine. These things are not specific to the west and never have been

It has nothing to do with supremacy. A lot of countries outside the West aren't revelling in their culture on a daily basis. In fact at a surface glance they're practically indistinguishable.

"These things are not specific to the west and never have been" Are you deliberately trying to ignore the subtlety of my point? I'm obviously not saying these things were ever specific to the West, but that overwhelming advances in the West have had an effect on, for instance, how modern medicine is practised in the first place and to a less universal extent the rule of law.
x

Original post by DiddyDec
You have read all the stories, when has cultural appropriation ever been about someone appropriating Western Culture?

Is that a never then?
Original post by Josb
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

What the hell are you talking about don't buy? So passive aggressively turning my nose up at **** on the shelves is addressing the issue?

Think not. Again I go back to my first comment:

a white privileged dude mocking and undermining ethnic issues!
I condescended to explain to you, hoping you had the brains to understand.

but you want to be obtuse and play dumb

as a defense mechanism

to not having any facts to properly discuss.

Lol nvm.
(edited 7 years ago)

instead of just HIRING
an Indian person!

@Josb

Yeah, those are better examples. Why are people crying appropriation over this banal ***** then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, those are better examples. Why are people crying appropriation over this banal ***** then?

Exactly! To make cultural appropriation seem less than what it is! :noway:
(edited 7 years ago)
@josb
and a white person wearing a sombrero can be seen as racist mockery.

Like minstrel shows.

In slavery America, white people dressed up as black people, ridiculously so, and reenacted racist things.

Cringe isn't even the word!

They did the same with Native Indians. Like look at US films from the 60s and earlier. Maybe even later than the 60s. Knowing America. And they had white dudes dressed up like Chinese and Native Americans doing racist sh*t. or just stereotypical crap.

So I guarantee aware white people know certain things could be racist. And act against it.

Duh.

Also with Miley Cyris twerking.
She has done racist crap: stretching her eyes on cam to look Asian
and insensitive comments about black women in media

Yet she has appropriated/used other cultures
to gain success

@Unkempt_One

:yy:
Reply 77
What the hell are you talking about don't buy? So passive aggressively turning my nose up at **** on the shelves is addressing the issue?

Think not. Again I go back to my first comment:

a white privileged dude mocking and undermining ethnic issues!
I condescended to explain to you, hoping you had the brains to understand.

but you want to be obtuse and play dumb

as a defense mechanism

to not having any facts to properly discuss.

Lol nvm.

And you said my sentences were not correct. smh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
And you said my sentences were not correct. smh

More vapid, useless, deflecting text from the privileged boy.

I would bother adding you to my ignore list but it's okay, I'm sure you'll give up soon. Plus, I can and will ignore you just fine on my own :u:
No.

Yoga is not being exploited :rolleyes:
No one who does yoga is pretending to like it for financial gain.
:colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

Now i will never click View Post again, back to the ignore list, chap.

Apparently it is cultural appropriation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending