Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    That was actually part of my election speech...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Got my vote

ReputationRep:
    That was actually part of my election speech...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It sounds like this hilarious place full of banter culture, real ales and folksy traditionalism where everyone is happy, but the university staff are all there trying to make it more 'diverse'.

ReputationRep:
    They man up and get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I'm Jenny the new welfare and diversity officer.Noticed you were saying that there was nobody to go to and nothing done when people felt something done by the SU was offensive or appropriative - that's probably because it was your job.

As the welfare and diversity officer I'm in charge of helping students who aren't represented on a large scale to get their voice heard - for example students with disabilities or health issues that need more support from the university and vetting SU events and advising on ways to make events more inclusive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlister1997)
    As the welfare and diversity officer I'm in charge of helping students who aren't represented on a large scale to get their voice heard - for example students with disabilities or health issues that need more support from the university and vetting SU events and advising on ways to make events more inclusive.
    So, to return to the subject, where do you stand on CA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahmoud X)
    It sounds like this hilarious place full of banter culture, real ales and folksy traditionalism where everyone is happy, but the university staff are all there trying to make it more 'diverse'.
    It would be pretty difficult to make such a white uni diverse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    So, to return to the subject, where do you stand on CA?
    I think its important to know where people are coming from when they talk about matters like that. In modern society many people feel like they cant wear clothes from their culture because people will make fun of them or make assumptions, but then people think it's fine when other people wear them as costumes. To be honest it's something thats quite easy to avoid by just choosing to dress up as something else and not using someones culture as a costume.

I heard someone say "you wear the costume for a night and I wear the stigma for a lifetime" which sums up the issue pretty nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Declan, I'm Jenny the new welfare and diversity officer.Noticed you were saying that there was nobody to go to and nothing done when people felt something done by the SU was offensive or appropriative - that's probably because it was your job.

Enact full damage control.

I did a great job. Nobody ever complained.

Am I right in assuming that the Oilseed Rapists won't be playing in the SU anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Declan, I'm Jenny the new welfare and diversity officer.Noticed you were saying that there was nobody to go to and nothing done when people felt something done by the SU was offensive or appropriative - that's probably because it was your job.As the welfare and diversity officer I'm in charge of helping students who aren't represented on a large scale to get their voice heard - for example students with disabilities or health issues that need more support from the university and vetting SU events and advising on ways to make events more inclusive.

DiddyDec has been overthrown

I for one welcome our new SJW overlords

ReputationRep:
    I think its important to know where people are coming from when they talk about matters like that. In modern society many people feel like they cant wear clothes from their culture because people will make fun of them or make assumptions, but then people think it's fine when other people wear them as costumes. To be honest it's something thats quite easy to avoid by just choosing to dress up as something else and not using someones culture as a costume.

I heard someone say "you wear the costume for a night and I wear the stigma for a lifetime" which sums up the issue pretty nicely.
    So you would be happy if I attended a uni fancy dress party dressed as a leprechaun?

ReputationRep:
    DiddyDec has been overthrown

I for one welcome our new SJW overlords

Where is the muscle? We need some muscle!

ReputationRep:

How does one avoid this in a multicultural society?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Too white mate

ReputationRep:
    It seems the once great establishment has been tainted. I had heard rumours but I didn't want to believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    No, being a leftist and TSR Political Representative I would not encourage uniculturalism
    So you think it's desirable for us to live in a society comprising people of disparate and disconnected cultural groups, with distinct personal political identities e.g. that give rise to clear, and growing, 'them and us' attitudes, divides, tensions, frictions, and flashpoints?

I encourage multiculturalism and egalitarianism
    To allow cultural Marxism to erode the foundations of our civilisation to the point at which our core values/national ethos ultimately amounts to nothing more than (unconditional) 'tolerance' and ‘equal treatment’ (of unfettered, alien cultures)? Tomas More would be turning in his grave (probably Marx too)! :rolleyes:

I doubt many do
    Alas you presume too much, Mr. Newcomer ‘TSR Political Representative’ - unfortunately I must inform you that the evidence suggests otherwise

You can check my signature
    Uniculturalism may reasonably be described as left-wing, in important respects; it represents the voluntary, progressive and inclusive, inculcation of desirable facets from other cultures into the mainstream culture of a given polity e.g. on the part of the indigenous/settled majority (who could very well opt, instead, to push amonocultural agenda and impose really 'oppressive' conditions on minorities)

I myself don't agree that this is law, it is not clearly enough defined
    The only law that really matters where this topic is concerned is Article
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    So you think it's desirable for us to live in a society comprising people of disparate and disconnected cultural groups, with distinct personal political identities e.g. that give rise to clear, and growing, 'them and us' attitudes, divides, tensions, frictions, and flashpoints?

To allow cultural Marxism to erode the foundations of our civilisation to the point at which our core values/national ethos ultimately amounts to nothing more than (unconditional) 'tolerance' and ‘equal treatment’ (of unfettered, alien cultures)? Tomas More would be turning in his grave (probably Marx too)! :rolleyes:
    I'm not a Marxist - not sure what drove you to that conclusion. If it was my signature, tough luck - I'm not a Leninist either.

Alas you presume too much, Mr. Newcomer ‘TSR Political Representative’
    Haha.Funny.

unfortunately I must inform you that the evidence suggests otherwise
    When I said 'I doubt many will' I meant leftists, although I wouldn't know - I'm not bothered about technicalities - I'm more occupied with the 'abolition of every possibility of oppression and exploitation'I don't like the idea of uniculturalism because it forces people to assimilate into a culture instead of leaving them be, and cherishing all people equally. It sounds a lot like 'Russification' employed by the degenerated workers' state of Russia under Stalin, who took it from Tsarist Russia. It also subscribes to this imperialist idea of a 'British' culture: when people from outside of the UK say 'British', are they referring to Welsh accents, language, people, Scottish accents, language, sports, Celtic peoples, practices, sports, langauges, or are they really referring to English people and their consumer culture?When people say 'British', do you think they are thinking of someone in the Highlands of Scotland who plays shinty and speaks Gaelic, or do you think they are referring to the English urban culture of consumerism that has absorbed the various cities of Cardiff and Glasgow, among others?Ach I'm not that bothered anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Even if they went through with it, the media might find a way to create a scandal about 'insensitive Cambridge toffs behaving in a racist manner', or some such stereotyping rubbish. However I don't even see that as an excuse not to go ahead with such a thing, because false accusations can be fiercely defended, and should be. Cambridge of all places should be aiming to keep freedom of expression and freedom to party alive, not restrict it over fears of criticism! That is a slippery slope to cowardly conformity. Frightened little lambs. That's my alma mater too and it makes me very sad to hear the scourge of political correctness has taken control of supposedly intellectual minds there. Sickening.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Marxist .
    You are, though, the sort of person who calls what others say racist and then does not provide either the reason for doing so or an apology.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You are, though, the sort of person who calls what others say racist and then does not provide either the reason for doing so or an apology.
    No, no I'm not. I really hate those people. I also hate this age of political correctness, where everything we say has to be politically correct in case we offend someone - it's repression of our thoughts and words.

ReputationRep:
    No, no I'm not. I really hate those people. I also hate this age of political correctness, where everything we say has to be politically correct in case we offend someone - it's repression of our thoughts and words.
    So you deny saying the following to me in the CA thread, post 677?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...943765&page=34

As much as I enjoy your casual racism towards little bogmen like me, you've proved my point about people like me being marginalised.

and not responding when I asked you why you said it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Marxist - not sure what drove you to that conclusion
    Feel free to quote me where I said you were a Marxist :yy:

I'm not a Leninist either
    As above :rolleyes:

When I said 'I doubt many will' I meant leftists
    Sure you did mate

I'm not bothered about technicalities
    Technicalities like making sweeping, dismissive statements that are demonstrably false? A mere trifle, I'm sure :top2: #IntellectualHonesty

the 'abolition of every possibility of oppression and exploitation'
    A grand, if impossibly categorical (inherently inhumanely self-defeating), ambition

I don't like the idea of uniculturalism because it forces people to assimilate into a culture instead of leaving them be
    Which part of the definition (e.g. the one I’ve given, in the abovementioned thread) do you believe entails coercion, pray tell?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Unicultiralism: A core cultural identity that is inclusive but centred on a national ethos shaped by the history, customs, values of the majority

It also subscribes to this imperialist idea of a 'British' culture
    Not necessarily, it could (and I would say should) just as well take on a devolved form within the UK at the local level

when people from outside of the UK say 'British', are they referring to Welsh accents, language, people, Scottish accents, language, sports, Celtic peoples, practices, sports, languages, or are they really referring to English people and their consumer culture?
    Neither. Typically they’re referring to the collective, which is a unicultural meld of English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh culture. Granted, English elements predominate but there are a whole host of reasons that this is so (most of them perfectly reasonable/optimal)

the English urban culture of consumerism that has absorbed the various cities of Cardiff and Glasgow, among others?
    I agree that ‘modern’ ‘British culture’ leaves a lot to be desired, but would also encourage you to observe the fact that ‘the union’ is, now, broadly a force for common good e.g. peace, prosperity, and progress, and that we have agency regarding vices. The problem is not uniculturalism, or consumerism, per sae, but liberalism and a moral/leadership vacuum - in a highly individualistic/consumeristic, post-communitarian socio-spatially mobile age of social abstraction, apathy, and outright selfishness/sinfulness

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.