Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Feel free to quote me where I said you were a Marxist :yy:

You inferred it by saying 'Marx would be spinning in his grave'

Which part of the definition (e.g. the one I’ve given, in the abovementioned thread) do you believe entails coercion, pray tell?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Unicultiralism: A core cultural identity that is inclusive but centred on a national ethos shaped by the history, customs, values of the majority
    The 'majority'

I agree that ‘modern’ ‘British culture’ leaves a lot to be desired, but would also encourage you to observe the fact that ‘the union’ is, now, broadly a force for common good e.g. peace, prosperity, and progress, and that we have agency regarding vices. The problem is not uniculturalism, or consumerism, per sae, but liberalism and a moral/leadership vacuum - in a highly individualistic/consumeristic, post-communitarian socio-spatially mobile age of social abstraction, apathy, and outright selfishness/sinfulness
    I would't totally agree that it is a force for 'common good' but I do agree with the rest of it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    So you deny saying the following to me in the CA thread, post 677?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...943765&page=34

As much as I enjoy your casual racism towards little bogmen like me, you've proved my point about people like me being marginalised.

and not responding when I asked you why you said it?
    Wow.
    The pettiness.

But I'll indulge you.
    "do you live in the mainland, where noone cares a stuff if you are Irish and will readily join in and congratulate you on St Patrick's day, and even less about you being an RC"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Wow.
    The pettiness.

But I'll indulge you.
    "do you live in the mainland, where noone cares a stuff if you are Irish and will readily join in and congratulate you on St Patrick's day, and even less about you being an RC"
    And the racism lies in, ... what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    You inferred it by saying 'Marx would be spinning in his grave'
    No mate, you may believe I implied it but t'was you who (mistakenly) inferred it. In referring to More et. Marx indicated that you are of a leftist bent

The 'majority'
    Core culture =/= the only culture, just means the culture that is at the heart of the system, so people need not feel oppressed by it, as it's not necessarily imposed upon them/anyone (even if it is derived from the culture of the majority), it's more of an organic thing

I would't totally agree that it is a force for 'common good'
    'Broadly' i.e. on balance, it most certainly is :chaplin:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.