Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    What the hell are you talking about don't buy? So passive aggressively turning my nose up at **** on the shelves is addressing the issue?

Think not. Again I go back to my first comment:

a white privileged dude mocking and undermining ethnic issues!
    I condescended to explain to you, hoping you had the brains to understand.

but you want to be obtuse and play dumb

as a defense mechanism

to not having any facts to properly discuss.

Lol nvm.
    And you said my sentences were not correct. smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    And you said my sentences were not correct. smh
    More vapid, useless, deflecting text from the privileged boy.

I would bother adding you to my ignore list but it's okay, I'm sure you'll give up soon. Plus, I can and will ignore you just fine on my own

ReputationRep:
    No.

Yoga is not being exploited :rolleyes:
    No one who does yoga is pretending to like it for financial gain.

Now i will never click View Post again, back to the ignore list, chap.
    Apparently it is cultural appropriation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    It has nothing to do with supremacy. A lot of countries outside the West aren't revelling in their culture on a daily basis. In fact at a surface glance they're practically indistinguishable.

"These things are not specific to the west and never have been" Are you deliberately trying to ignore the subtlety of my point? I'm obviously not saying these things were ever specific to the West, but that overwhelming advances in the West have had an effect on, for instance, how modern medicine is practised in the first place and to a less universal extent the rule of law.
    I can only speak for the Middle East and Italy and we are huge on culture in the Middle East.

Okay so those are good points but I don't see how it's cultural appropriation?

:toofunny: no one is going to steal your shoes!
    LOL, but I don't want to show off my orange and pink socks...
    Also, once I start removing articles of clothing, I find it hard to stop...

ReputationRep:
    More vapid, useless, deflecting text from the privileged boy.

I would bother adding you to my ignore list but it's okay, I'm sure you'll give up soon. Plus, I can and will ignore you just fine on my own
    Please, add me to your ignore list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    That's what I was thinking.
    I've been meaning to go and do some meditation in my college 'quiet room' for some time now. Maybe bring out my upside down cross and draw some pentagons. I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do though, since I've noticed that most of the people in there seem to leave their shoes outside.
    You must wear your culturally appropriate footwear, the Wellington Boot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roofas)
    No one seems to have a problem appropriating Western culture of modern medicine, industry and democracy. I suppose the rest of the world's people don't want to go back to living in a poverty and pestilence ridden hell hole where you were lucky to live beyond the age of 35.
    End of thread

ReputationRep:
    It would be amusing if it wasn't so depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Please, add me to your ignore list.
    Actually no I won't. Everyone here I've spoken to is using their brains except you. I won't make it easier for you. I will keep quoting and see what other nonsene you come up with. I mean you haven't even bothered to contribute ONE USEFUL thing here!? I should report you for non constructive b.s.

(Original post by EricPiphany)
    LOL, but I don't want to show off my orange and pink socks...
    Also, once I start removing articles of clothing, I find it hard to stop...
    lmaoo

I did yoga once

and I only did it once...
    it was horrible

Doing weird stretches like the tiny Oriental coach

in my basketball shorts :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    End of thread
    Cultural appropriation is soo inappropriate lol

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with people wearing clothes, accessories etc. from other cultures; I honestly don't see why that is so offensive? However, if someone were to wear clothes from another culture just to mock said culture, then it's definitely offensive.

I did yoga once

Doing weird stretches like the tiny Oriental coach
    Yoga stretches are 'weird'? WTH man?!

You supporting the stereotype that Orientals are small? WTF bro?!

So racist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Yoga stretches are 'weird'? WTH man?!

You supporting the stereotype that Orientals are small? WTF bro?!

So racist...
    She was small
    She was oriental.

and yes. It was weird.

How am I meant to contort my body this way :noway:

I cried for help so many times :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Cultural appropriation is soo inappropriate lol
    you're bad at life

ReputationRep:
    Actually no I won't. Everyone here I've spoken to is using their brains except you. I won't make it easier for you. I will keep quoting and see what other nonsene you come up with. I mean you haven't even bothered to contribute ONE USEFUL thing here!? I should report you for non constructive b.s.
    Are you telling me that you were using your brains when you said "ethnic sellout" to qualify people of colour that disagree with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Precisely.

That's why the West never should have let the rest of the world benefit from the fruits of their labours. All the modern medicine and technology that Europe has produced should be exclusively taken advantage of in Europe. Everyone else can **** off and starve.
    Lmao the medicine companies WILL NOT like that!
    That's less money for them!

(Original post by Josb)
    Are you telling me that you were using your brains when you said "ethnic sellout" to qualify people of colour that disagree with you?
    Try again. I already explained and the person who asked me to explain had no other issues with me. You just want to argue for reps or out of boredom.

(Original post by drowzee)
    However, if someone were to wear clothes from another culture just to mock said culture, then it's definitely offensive.
    I repped you for this. Also to ask if you know Amy Jackson...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Is that a never then?
    I've never heard of any known cases?

ReputationRep:
    Try again. I already explained and the person who asked me to explain had no other issues with me. You just want to argue for reps or out of boredom.
    You perhaps gave your explanation, but it was still a very stupid thing to say.

I don't care about rep. I would need 10.000 more reps to get a new gem, and I'm not going to get them by talking to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You perhaps gave your explanation, but it was still a very stupid thing to say.

I don't care about rep. I would need 10.000 more reps to get a new gem, and I'm not going to get them by talking to you.
    Oh look. namecalling. And alas. The gem count talk :ahee:

Omfg you really are boring me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.