Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears watch

ReputationRep:
    Some Indian scholars have pointed out that it was in fact Ancient Indian mathematicians/astronomers (for e.g. Brahmagupta) that taught Arabs Mathematics and Astronomy before Islamic scholars studied it.

Thus, white people complaining about cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation! These social justice warriors should be ashamed of their white supremacist, imperialistic acts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    I repped you for this. Also to ask if you know Amy Jackson...
    Thanks

I don't know who she is, but I searched her... She's beautiful! :eek: I see she's white and is has acted in Tamil movies :erm: I don't really have a problem with that, unless she is playing a Tamil character (or any ethnic character for that matter). I really dislike the white washing of ethnic characters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Thanks

I don't know who she is, but I searched her... She's beautiful! :eek: I see she's white and is has acted in Tamil movies :erm: I don't really have a problem with that, unless she is playing a Tamil character (or any ethnic character for that matter). I really dislike the white washing of ethnic characters.
    But you don't see that instead of just hiring an Indian woman who is more talented and more beautiful with brown skin would be better?

Instead of spray tanning the poor girl and making her cram-learn Tamil?
    I mean...if they played a white dude to be tanned up to play in Slumdog it would've...been sh*t. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Some Indian scholars have pointed out that it was in fact Ancient Indian mathematicians/astronomers (for e.g. Brahmagupta) that taught Arabs Mathematics and Astronomy before Islamic scholars studied it.

Thus, white people complaining about cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation! These social justice warriors should be ashamed of their white supremacist, imperialistic acts!
    Don't know whether to rep and agree, or ask if you're being serious before I do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Why is that do you think, it obviously happens.

Take democracy as a good example, that was part of the Ancient Greek culture now it can be seen across the globe. It has been appropriated. Classical music, now used across the globe, part of western culture. The Wellington Boot, made by the 1st Duke of Wellington now used across the globe, more appropriation.

Yet when it is Western Culture being appropriated it is ok, but anyone else it is not allowed?
    Mockery of others culture is not okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I wouldn't say that this is 'mockery' in any case. I would say its actually a good thing that other cultures are being represented.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know whether to rep and agree, or ask if you're being serious before I do
    Well... the logic must apply, mustn't it?

I'd leave the uncertainty up to you. Do you think I was being serious? or not?

ReputationRep:
    Well... the logic must apply, mustn't it?

I'd leave the uncertainty up to you. Do you think I was being serious? or not?
    I hope you were serious.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    What about the 'black washing' of white characters then? Are you against that? Or are you just against the white washing of historical figures (which I would agree with)?
    Black face :noway:

I think she also means skin bleaching of true Indian actors...

It's all wrong.

It doesn't make any sense to skin bleach in a country where everyone pretty much is dark :hmmm:
    And it doesn't make any sense to hire foreigners to play actors in your own country, instead of actors from your own country. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    But you don't see that instead of just hiring an Indian woman who is more talented and more beautiful with brown skin would be better?

Instead of spray tanning the poor girl and making her cram-learn Tamil?
    I mean...if they played a white dude to be tanned up to play in Slumdog it would've...been sh*t. lol
    No I definitely see that. That's why I said "I don't mind unless she's playing an ethnic character". It really sucks; it's a struggle for ethnic minorities to get parts in Hollywood and in the UK, and now even in Bollywood they would rather use a white actor to play a Tamil women? It's ridiculous.

What about the 'black washing' of white characters then? Are you against that? Or are you just against the white washing of historical figures (which I would agree with)?
    I disagree with that too; I believe actors should be the same race as their characters.

ReputationRep:
    How is dressing in someone else's traditional dress mockery? Wearing a bindi? Having dread locks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    No I definitely see that. That's why I said "I don't mind unless she's playing an ethnic character". It really sucks; it's a struggle for ethnic minorities to get parts in Hollywood and in the UK, and now even in Bollywood they would rather use a white actor to play a Tamil women? It's ridiculous.

I disagree with that too; I believe actors should be the same race as their characters.
    Spot on. At least someone's reasonable around here.

ReputationRep:
    Northern Indians are actually quite pale
    :hmmm:

What even are you?

Have you ever been to "North India?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    How is dressing in someone else's traditional dress mockery? Wearing a bindi? Having dread locks?
    Because people place great importance in their cultural practices. This is why I want to ask people why they think cultural appropriation is a bad thing. Maybe it's misrepresentation of somebody else's culture by another person? In a negative light ?

ReputationRep:
    Indians are pale and dark North and South. But majority North and South are dark or visibly South Asian.

Stop watching TV.

ReputationRep:

Yet the arabs and islamic scholars were better at it?

ReputationRep:
    Because people place great importance in their cultural practices. This is why I want to ask people why they think cultural appropriation is a bad thing. Maybe it's misrepresentation of somebody else's culture by another person? In a negative light ?
    That. It's also (butting in) it's also exploitation that doesn't benefit the exploited group.

Let's say someone is pretending to be Arab, or who blatantly isn't Arab at all, and then I don't know...starts a social group on campus...that is meant to be the voice for Arab people on a certain topic, and then deliberately makes a living off this, or at least gets exposure from this. Meanwhile at least the Arabs on that campus don't agree with any of it. Like Rachel Dolezal in the NAACP. It's ****ed up if not just completely annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luminarychild)
    Yet the arabs and islamic scholars were better at it?
    Oh jeez.

ReputationRep:
    That. It's also (butting in) it's also exploitation that doesn't benefit the exploited group.

Let's say someone is pretending to be Arab, or who blatantly isn't Arab at all, and then I don't know...starts a social group on campus...that is meant to be the voice for Arab people on a certain topic, and then deliberately makes a living off this, or at least gets exposure from this. Meanwhile at least the Arabs on that campus don't agree with any of it. Like Rachel Dolezal in the NAACP. It's ****ed up if not just completely annoying.
    Apparently Sean King is the new Rachel dolezal and making a living from the #blacklivesmatter movement

ReputationRep:
    It's my sister's college too. Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

ReputationRep:
    Cultural appropriation is just using part of somebodies culture. How can that be a bad thing when every single culture has do it in some way.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.