Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just got an email offering me an interview for a Primary SCITT place next week. It is a full assessment day which includes maths and English tests, a group task, a child focused task and a lesson starter. Then to end the day we have individual interviews.

I haven’t been given resources for the child focused task we will be given them on the day but I have been given them for the lesson starter. I'm struggling to get my head around this task. We have been asked to deliver a short lesson starter/activity lasting no more than 10 minutes. The lesson starter/activity will be delivered to a group of 6 KS2 pupils and should be delivered in the style of a starter to a lesson. The title of the presentation is: ORANGE.

Any help from your experiences in assessment days like this would be
    appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleigh16_)
    Hi everyone,

Just got an email offering me an interview for a Primary SCITT place next week. It is a full assessment day which includes maths and English tests, a group task, a child focused task and a lesson starter. Then to end the day we have individual interviews.

I haven’t been given resources for the child focused task we will be given them on the day but I have been given them for the lesson starter. I'm struggling to get my head around this task. We have been asked to deliver a short lesson starter/activity lasting no more than 10 minutes. The lesson starter/activity will be delivered to a group of 6 KS2 pupils and should be delivered in the style of a starter to a lesson. The title of the presentation is: ORANGE.

Any help from your experiences in assessment days like this would be
    appreciated
    From the sounds of the presentation title, you've been given something that you can be really creative with. That's always fun, and means they can see how creative and interesting you can be with your lessons. On the other hand, being given resources for a child-focused task means they care more about how you interact with the children. The maths and english test will be to see what your subject knowledge is like, and if you have a decent writing style.

As a current primary trainee, I would recommend making sure your starter is simple and easy to understand, while still being creative. It doesn't sound like you've been given a subject to base it around, so go for something you can be knowledgeable and enthusiastic about. During and afterwards, consider what went well and what you might do differently if you were to do it again, because they will possibly as you about this in your interview (this goes for the child-focused task too, but think more about what you might change with your interactions).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice that is great!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.