Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is dropping an AS Level going to really affect my university chances? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been failing economics since I started it, I've tried tutoring, bought every textbook and revision guide possible, revised for hours and I'm still failing. I've been under so much stress with it that I've let my other grades slip and I've decided enough is enough.
    I'm meeting with my head of year to arrange dropping tomorrow, and I'll hopefully be out by Monday. I want to study Photography at university, so obviously it's a lot more skills based, but most courses have an entry requirement of ABB or AAB, so I was wondering if it's better to have (my predicted grades at the moment) AABU at AS, and then (hopefully) around A*BB at A level? Or is it better to have AAB then A*BB at A2?
    Any advice tonight before I make my concrete decision and get the forms signed tomorrow would be helpful

*My A2 grades are based on what my teachers have said I can get but obviously it's very likely to change, and my AS predicted grades are based on 6 half termly assessments and my mocks

ReputationRep:
    Dropping an AS level probably won't hurt your chances.

I would say that you're marginally better off having AAB rather than A*BB, unless the A* is in a subject relevant to the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    Dropping an AS level probably won't hurt your chances.

I would say that you're marginally better off having AAB rather than A*BB, unless the A* is in a subject relevant to the degree.
    Hopefully it'll be in photography
    My school offer you the chance to pick up a new AS next year if you're concerned, but I honestly think that would be too much work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessThomas6)
    Hopefully it'll be in photography
    My school offer you the chance to pick up a new AS next year if you're concerned, but I honestly think that would be too much work
    Check your course entry requirements on the uni website on unis you are interested in. Only a few such as UCL require at least a fourth A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Check your course entry requirements on the uni website on unis you are interested in. Only a few such as UCL require at least a fourth A-level.
    I'm looking at Brighton, Westminster, Bournemouth, Falmouth and UWTSD, I've read the entry requirements time and time again and none of them seem to mention a fourth one, as far as I can tell if you don't meet the requirements they'll invite you to interview anyway to see your portfolio etc.

ReputationRep:
    Dropping an AS level will not reduce your chances. Universities only care about the 3 A-levels you carry on to A2. It would be better to drop it rather than get a U.

ReputationRep:
    Drop it! I made the mistake of carrying on with a subject I absolutely despised and ended up with a "c" at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calmer410)
    Drop it! I made the mistake of carrying on with a subject I absolutely despised and ended up with a "c" at AS.
    I feel like to get a C I'd have needed to have started revising about seven years ago to be honest

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have three A levels overall you shouldn't worry. I would advise doing a core subject though as I was told when i was in college this was extremely important. For me it was either History or English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle94)
    As long as you have three A levels overall you shouldn't worry. I would advise doing a core subject though as I was told when i was in college this was extremely important. For me it was either History or English.
    I'm doing history, psychology and photography :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing history, psychology and photography :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll be fine then. Good luck with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle94)
    You'll be fine then. Good luck with your studies.
    Thank you
    I'm hoping that having the massive stress gone will help me bring my grades up really well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel like to get a C I'd have needed to have started revising about seven years ago to be honest
    Since birth, rather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calmer410)
    Since birth, rather.
    Actually that sounds accurate 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.