Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A tough decision!! Which MSc in Europe? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which Business school?
    Imperial
    70.00%
    Rotterdam School of management
    0%
    ESADE
    10.00%
    IE
    0%
    Bocconi
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone i am currently living a dilemma and i am totally lost on what to do next.First of all what i want to do: i would like to work in consulting or Pharmacetical industry (preferably in France) for a few years, then i would like to join the famiy business ( a hospital).My problem is that i don't know which programme would be the most fitted for me: i was admitted to ESADE international management, Rotterdam (RSM) Strategic management, and Bocconi's International Management programme. I am also considering Imperial's Msc in Economics and strategy and IE's MIM.To sum up what i am looking for: a programme fitting for my career goal, but also a place where i will have fun (undergrad was really annoying).I love strategy and a little bit of everything (hence why i choose a MIM).
    Is ESADE's Msc to oriented towards international management? Is Rotterdam a nice city??
    Finally i would like to point out that i will probably do an MBA in the US later on. So what business school in the list would be appprecited by US business schools?Thank you in advance for your help!

ReputationRep:
    first of all check for yourself the curriculum of each course and decide whichone you prefer in that regard. all the schools you have chosen are excellent but it depends where do you want to live. they are all in different countries so consider the language barrier as well. i would say that reputation wise IE, Bocconi and Esade are ahead reputation wise. maybe you would like to check ft european business school rankings: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...-rankings-2015
    and msc management rankings: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...anagement-2015

ps: check the structure of each course really well and decide on the country you want to live in.

ReputationRep:
    Hey George255 thanks for your reply! I've already done alot of research and thats the problem: i like all of them! I prefer RSM for the programme (courses) but i think i prefer living in London or Spain (for the fun factor) but i don't know i still can't really decide.

i think i would go for ESADE but its the international orientation of the programme that scares me since i will ultimately work in a local company, or am i just overthinking it ?
    By the way, Would any give me a better chance to get in a top business school in US for MBA?
    I think i should add that i want to avoid a super competitve environment (what i meen is people who backstab each other to get better grades...).
    FInally, should i think of applying to other unis? such as Cass , Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    if money isnt a problem maybe you should consider applying to London business school. i dont know the exact requirements but here is the course page: https://www.london.edu/education-and...t#.VuL7QPl96Uk
    also Hec Paris is considered one of the best aswell. Here is the programme page: http://www.hec.edu/Masters-programs/...t/Key-Features

other than those unis i dont think you need to apply to any other unis since the ones you have chosen are top tier. i dont think cass or warwick are better than imperial.

Ps: just saying that you have these two choices aswell. Not that the rest of the schools you have chosen arent excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for the reply George255, unfortunately i was rejected (for a very stupid reason...) for LBS. Regarding HEC, i studied in France and would like to change countries (besides the deadline has passed for French graduates for the MIM).
    By the way, i also learned that i might be elegible for the Masters in Management at Imperial as well as the MSc in economics and strategy, does anyone think that one is better than the other? Or it doesn't really matter because i would get the Imperial College brand name?

Any other suggestions/point of views are welcomed, don't be shy!

ReputationRep:
    i see. well all your choices are good. first of all make a list as to which programme you prefer regarding content (courses etc) secondly which one you prefer regarding location and thirdly which do you think is the most prestigious. at that level i would say the most important thing to consider is programme structure. If you think that Master in Management in imperial has a better programme than the rest of the schools then try and go for that otherwise choose one of the other schools. Also consider the language barrier in the spain schools. even if the programme is in english if you dont know any spanish you might find it difficult to live there.

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour Rey,

I would highly recommend Imperial's course. It's slightly more expensive, but the science-heavy nature of Imperial's courses will bode well for applying to Pharma companies, especially in a nation such as France.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Aceadria! Well, i think that on all my choices i am leaning towards ESADE MIM and Imperial (MIM and MSc economics and strategy). I was thinking of another possibility, doing 2 masters: The MIM at ESADE and the Economics and strategy at Imperial. Would that be a good idea or just a waste of time? (for the second degree i might consider other business schools and 1 year programmes as well: LSE, HEC...)

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    2 masters is a waste of time i think. at least at your age. if you work and after a couple of years you want to do another master then you can. i dont think you will gain anything from doing a second master. waste of money and time.

ReputationRep:
    Again thanks George255! I will keep that in mind! What i was thiking basicly is that it would be kind of equivalent to a 2 years mim (or Grande ecole programme) no? except its a double degree.

By the way, can anyone please tell me what would be better between MSc Economics and strategy and MIM from Imperial? I am eligible for both... If anyone has info please do share it!

ReputationRep:
    i would prefer MIM for sure. msc economics and strategy is more theoretical while mim more practical

ReputationRep:
    Hey George255 thank you for the advice, is it a well known fact that MIM is more practical? Do you know any students there? Or does anyone here? It would be really cool if i could speak to one of them to get an insight...

Btw, i was also looking at LSE's programmes in management, is LSE well regarded in this field? For info i might apply to one of their programmes, but not their masters in management! (i was thinking of MSc in management and strategy).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.