• Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    yes, it is so edgy :afraid:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ART > STEM :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    Good for you. If I wasn't allowed to drive until 21 I would not be able to do any of them, and would be pretty much stuck at home all day doing not a lot. So you can understand my dislike at the promotion of a higher driving age, especially when the safety arguments for it are weak.

Do you by any chance live in a city with good public transport?
    i live i a very small town in the middle of yorkshire yet i manage to get places, how about get off your backside and start cycling/walking? and dont try kid me with the 'distance is too much so i have to drive' argument because thats bull, you can get buses/taxis/trains/planes to great lengths of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    As a reluctant stem student, I agree wholeheartedly
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also literature > everything, pretty much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    You have to expand on that
    Haha, okay.

Rather simply, to me, equality implies that both sexes are the same. Which they are not, both biologically and in other ways. To apply equality in a strict sense would both be impossible, and negative.
    For example, pregnancy - men cannot get pregnant, so trying to govern both in exactly the same way with the same rights would be positively ridiculous, but that is what equality would technically imply.
    So to me, either equality is a word misused, or people are misguided.

Therefore, I prefer to aim for equitable opportunity. Each situation adapted so both have an equitable and appropriate resolution. Much like it is now tbh, but for example, I'd change the current approach in rape cases, that seems to enjoy ignoring fundamental legal principle and naming the accused (almost always the male) and not naming when and if the accuser turns out to have lied (and hopefully prosecuted) - that would be a great place to start with equitable applicability of the law IMO.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think high education is just a mean to start a career in jobs, but not a mean to widen the horizon and to become a creative genius. Is this opinion of my own unpopular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    i live i a very small town in the middle of yorkshire yet i manage to get places, how about get off your backside and start cycling/walking? and dont try kid me with the 'distance is too much so i have to drive' argument because thats bull, you can get buses/taxis/trains/planes to great lengths of the country.
    I can't carry a big load of shopping back if I walk and it would be very difficult to do with a bike. Both of those options take a lot longer. With cycling you have obvious safety issues due to the number of idiots on the road (and before you try to use it as an argument, this is not primarily a young drivers thing). I also wouldn't want to take my camera or something expensive somewhere on a bike, given that it's inevitably you'll fall off/be knocked off at some point.

If you go to apply for jobs, having a driving license and a car is an advantage, and some jobs specify it as an essential requirement. Including several placement jobs I'm currently applying for.

Many of the taxi drivers I've seen are terrible drivers, so I don't know why you think that's preferable to young drivers just driving themselves.

Put simply, my own car means I can go somewhere whenever I choose to, and bring whatever I want to. Not whenever the next bus or train is, or when there's a taxi available. And you haven't really put any arguments forward as to why young people should be massively inconvenienced like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    And to add a caveat to my point, it's the social sustainability side that worries me too. We're getting vastly older by the generation, but our productivity above a certain age is not rising. If generation X and Y live till over 100; then from the usual retirement age that can be 40y and rising - that's essentially another adult lifetime, but with likely no means of supporting it. It's unlikely that most are capable of saving enough to be cared for extensively at those ages, and to push that burden onto younger generations will only be much worse.

It's all a very difficult thing to resolve however.
    Exactly. Most people are unlikely to have enough savings to support themselves for another 40 years or so after they've finished working, and they can't all work due to health problems. The pension things are changing all the time, and by the time we retire it's likely that the state pension will be worth **** all. Private pension is only worth it if you can make it work, and most people don't earn enough to warrant going for a private pension.

So who pays for the existence of people of potentially don't want to exist? What with the growing population and the average life expectancy going up, the strain on the wallet of whoever's paying for it is only going to get worse.

But as you say, it's a very difficult thing to resolve. We either find a way to raise more money to keep these people alive, or... what? There is no morally viable alternative that I can think of right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heineken)
    If you were too old to loom after yourself, how are you going to run the bath?
    ...huh. Hadn't thought of that. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

ReputationRep:
    My most unpopular opinion would probably be my general support of the death penalty, particularly for psychopaths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Brave!

ReputationRep:
    No edge lord, but it's an unpopular opinion that there's not many serious problems at all in this country. Most of the issues people talk about are exaggerated or are enflamed by people in order to further their own agendas.

Stuff like sexist discrimination, racial tension, poverty, lack of opportunity, media bias, government scandal etc are all massively overstated which is why most people who whine about these things in this country are sheltered social justice warriors who hardly ever experience any problems at all in general so they jump on board with this crap. I'm not suggesting these issues don't exist at all in this country but it's massively overstated by people who either have personal agendas to push or who simply just need to go outside, get a life and get that chip of their shoulder. The country is fine, stop whining and being melodramatic.

Im not from this country originally and I've been all over the world. Trust me, Britain's "problems" are minuscule.

Another thing is that I don't get on board with this bizarre notion that we must automatically respect other cultures for the sake of it. Why should I respect things like caste systems, extreme sexism, feudalism, belief in witchcraft, stupid and pointless ceremony, persecution of LGBTs and other such backwards crap? I won't respect it and you can do one if you think i should.

ReputationRep:
    I abhor the continued mechanization of warfare, and fear that we are losing our edge.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people think that fashion is worse now than in various points back in the day. It isn't. Not only that, but people are less constrained now by brands and styles. And yeah skinny jeans or whatever aren't great but look at Kappa trousers from the 90s or flares from the 70s and come back to me and tell me people these days don't have style lol.

Not as much, but this applies to music too. There's loads of good music these days, you just need to be open-minded enough to find it. Lots of people say music was so much better in this or that era in the past and they point to many great songs to prove the point. But it's rose-tinted glasses. We never remember all the mountains of crap that went with it. Amazing songs came out from old school house, UK Garage, 90s Brit Pop and grunge, 80s electro, 70s punk, Motown, 60s and 50s rock, swing and folk stuff from before. No doubt. But 90% of it was drizzling scheizer just like now lol. We just never remember it.

ReputationRep:
    I think new born babies aren't as cute as people say they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    flares from the 70s and come back to me and tell me people these days don't have style lol.
    Highly unpopular opinion.

ReputationRep:
    High boots should make a comeback for men.

Seriously... through out history men wore them all the time and virtually every male story archetype wears them and yet they've been out of fasion for about 100 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    High boots should make a comeback for men.

Seriously... through out history men wore them all the time and virtually every male story archetype wears them and yet they've been out of fasion for about 100 years.
    high boots?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    high boots?
    Boots that come to mid-shin or knee height. Cowboy boot dimensions essentially but not exclusively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    i think 2 seater convertibles are selfish and a waste of money

Yes.

(Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
    People playing music on the bus without headphones.
    Yes.
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    peanut butter is gross
    coffee should be banned
    you shouldnt be able to drive until like, at least 21
    Agree with the driving part.

(Original post by Inazuma)
    I don't believe in *equality* per se.

And I don't think this obsession in medicinal advancement with keeping people alive at all costs for extended lifespans is beneficial to humanity; and will become very destructive in the future.

Feel free to harass me on either point.
    Spending resources on extending pointless lives is stupid considering how many young lives those same resources could save.

(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    So you want to make it much harder for people like me to move away from home, live independently, go to university and/or start working? Terrible idea.
    Take the bus, stop killing people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.