Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    HI son is starting sept 16 and wanted to ask what accommodation will be right for him - 1st year with bathroom. I have to point out he has severe food allergies - so need to pick accommodation wisely. As students need to be aware nuts would kill him - even just being touched with someone who has had peanuts to eat will him a reaction. please can you advice me nicki
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NICKIGIDDA)
    HI son is starting sept 16 and wanted to ask what accommodation will be right for him - 1st year with bathroom. I have to point out he has severe food allergies - so need to pick accommodation wisely. As students need to be aware nuts would kill him - even just being touched with someone who has had peanuts to eat will him a reaction. please can you advice me nicki
    Hi. You haven't mentioned what university he will be in.

    Unfortunately you can never guarantee the people he will be put in with in accommodation will be considerate people. Most normal and decent people just need to be told how severe his allergy is and they'd hopefully take that into account and act accordingly. But there will always be people who only care about themselves. The only way he could possibly be 100% sure of his safety in terms of kitchen use would be if he got a flat with his own kitchen. In terms of interacting with people he can never be 100% safe and know no one has eaten nuts.
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    I would stick to an accommodation that has the less people the better!! Controlling 12 people in a flat is not a good thing.

    Stick to small amounts of people 2-3 max.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    yep, we goona have to know what uni it is?
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    I have no idea if his allergy would 'count' but would he want to be in a studio or something? If so, it might be worth contacting the disability services and seeing if he could get a confirmed studio room and whether he could qualify for any financial assistance. The problem is going to be that 90% of students will go 'oh no, of course I'll do anything possible to avoid killing my flatmate' and the other 10% will forget/not care/think their needs come first/not realise that it can be really serious and there's always the risk from things not being cleaned/stored properly, someone borrowing his stuff etc.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    sorry christ college what do you recommend
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

4,332

people online now

1,567,000

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.