Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad parents evening, is 2/3 months too late to revise for AS? Watch

(Original post by Anonymous)
    In my mocks I achieved all A's albeit very low A's back in January but I still have to complete my notes for the rest of the syllabus. In your opinion, with the time left do you think I can still achieve high A's in AS?
    Yeah course, honestly I didn't start until March the 9th to be precise, and that's when I started BIOL1 only. As long as you understand how to answer the questions you'll be ok, eg in biology there are patterns you follow every year, in questions like "why does a mutation lead to a non-functional protein". Memorise the points you have to include and hit full marks if it comes up in whatever form.

Unless you're doing essay subjects then I can't help haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathartic)
    I just came back from parents evening in sociology I got a D in economics an E in English Literature a D in maths a D ( B's for c2 and c1 and u in s1)
    All of my teachers said the highest I can get is CCDB I would be extremely unhappy with those grades as my dream is to achieve AAAA. My weakness is that I rely too heavily on content rather than exam practice so ild like to focus on that for the next 2 months can someone please motivate me and tell me that its not too late to achieve this I'm willing to work extremely hard! Thank you
    2 months is enough time. Start now.

I did Mechanics AS. Never went to any lessons because it was my 5th AS and I cared about the other 4 more tbh...anyway, just locked myself in my room a week before the exam, learnt the material from scratch and came out with a C.

You just need self discipline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    2 months is enough time. Start now.

I did Mechanics AS. Never went to any lessons because it was my 5th AS and I cared about the other 4 more tbh...anyway, just locked myself in my room a week before the exam, learnt the material from scratch and came out with a C.

You just need self discipline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow in a week you achieved a c? That's incredible ! Thank you so much !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I did 5 AS and I moved to a new city so i was focused on sociallising it got over me and i was failling throughout the year at end of march i sent letters and tried to convince my school that I want to cancel my exam this year and do them from scratch next year instead as I believed I would fail if I do them this year, my school refused and all I had was one month and few weeks and I managed to get staright As it felt good proving my teachers wrong, trust me best feeling they treat you differently after them results .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolgurl14)
    I did 5 AS and I moved to a new city so i was focused on sociallising it got over me and i was failling throughout the year at end of march i sent letters and tried to convince my school that I want to cancel my exam this year and do them from scratch next year instead as I believed I would fail if I do them this year, my school refused and all I had was one month and few weeks and I managed to get staright As it felt good proving my teachers wrong, trust me best feeling they treat you differently after them results .
    That's so incredible , when you mean fail do you mean getting u's, clearly you studied smart did you mainly focus on past papers?? I think I spend way too long on note making, congratulations on your amazing results !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's so incredible , when you mean fail do you mean getting u's, clearly you studied smart did you mainly focus on past papers?? I think I spent way too long on notemaking, congratulations on your amazing results !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That's so incredible , when you mean fail do you mean getting u's, clearly you studied smart did you mainly focus on past papers?? I think I spent way too long on notemaking, congratulations on your amazing results !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah my school report was UUUED.
    Recording your past papers in a spreadsheet with a column summary of your mistakes is a very important cramming technique. this gives you the opportunity to learn all the past papers near the exams again .

ReputationRep:
    Did you do mainly past papers or memorised ??? I don't know wether I should memorise topics and then do past paper questions after those specific topics or to memorise everything and do past papers on everything after ? Idk if I make sense , thank you you motivated me a lot ! Congratulations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths is all about exercises, past papers and PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! Complete all past papers, as many exercises as possible, do Solomon papers, the whole works.
    As for English literature, write a lot, engage with your books, speak to your peers, anything you think is interesting make a mind map of, make up your own exam questions and then finally do exam practice, and then give them to your teacher to mark. That should help you out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Yeah course, honestly I didn't start until March the 9th to be precise, and that's when I started BIOL1 only. As long as you understand how to answer the questions you'll be ok, eg in biology there are patterns you follow every year, in questions like "why does a mutation lead to a non-functional protein". Memorise the points you have to include and hit full marks if it comes up in whatever form.

Unless you're doing essay subjects then I can't help haha
    i started after like the 15th april
    may i ask what u got last year for bio if u dnt mind

(Original post by Fkmylife)
    i started after like the 15th april
    may i ask what u got last year for bio if u dnt mind
    See that's still fine, I went through the content 3 times tho

And an A

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 79
Size:  56.5 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't actually leave it to the last night tho, 3 months is a good place to start

ReputationRep:
    I did not revise for my AS levels and got AABB.
    (i did cram on they day/day before though).
    Clearly did not help.

For the others you can get to an A easily.
    For maths i doubt it, if your getting a D now you probably have poor understanding. That takes a long time to fix.
    Aim for AAAA though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    I did not revise for my AS levels and got AABB.
    (i did cram on they day/day before though).
    Clearly did not help.

For the others you can get to an A easily.
    For maths i doubt it, if your getting a D now you probably have poor understanding. That takes a long time to fix.
    Aim for AAAA though.
    Wow what cramming techniques would you say are the best? That's amazing !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow what cramming techniques would you say are the best? That's amazing !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly I read the revision guide for 8 hours 2 days before each exam. I did a past paper and if I could not answer a question on lets say the heart I would open the chapter in the revision guide on the heart, read it for 10 minutes and write it out again till I got it.

I forgot everything about AS bio tho, so this is not a long term thing, and really you should learn it all properly. you have enough time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I think the teacher's prediction are realistic and I further think they represent best case scenario.
    If it was possible to turn around these grades it would be a total insult to the students which will get AAAA, which have been working solid from day 1.
    God TSR is ridiculous, most people don't start revising until easter, I didn't and got AAAB at AS. Working from day one is a good way to burn yourself out although then again I guess for TSRians revising is simply an excuse for having no social life or friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    God TSR is ridiculous, most people don't start revising until easter, I didn't and got AAAB at AS. Working from day one is a good way to burn yourself out although then again I guess for TSRians revising is simply an excuse for having no social life or friends
    I value your contribution and education which I am sure it is based on your vast teaching experience.
    All the best.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, I revised all year but I found the most significant contribution to my grades was the three weeks prior to the exams. I ended up panicking to the point of having 10 hour revision days and god did that help.

Just work hard. If you get the AAAA that's fantastic, but... I like to think that if you work super hard as much as possible then if you get lower, such as BBBB then consider how awful your grades would have been without all that work? BBBB then starts to look pretty nice, because it's the best you could when you really worked for it.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I value your contribution and education which I am sure it is based on your vast teaching experience.
    All the best.
    First of all I was pointing out that like most people I revised in the easter holidays and still managed to get good results proving its not impossible. Secondly if you do happen to have years of teaching experience it does beg the question as to why you're spending your time arguing with teenagers on TSR? Bored of your cats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    First of all I was pointing out that like most people I revised in the easter holidays and still managed to get good results proving its not impossible. Secondly if you do happen to have years of teaching experience it does beg the question as to why you're spending your time arguing with teenagers on TSR? Bored of your cats?
    I am not arguing .... I am agreeing with you ...
    Did you read my last post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    ...but I had a solid revision timetable on my phone...
    My main issue is that I try to do loads of work as it comes because i've still got so many revision notes to do. Homework thrown at me almost everyday so even though i'm going all out it keeps piling up and I think it might have something to do with my approach to work.
    I know I need to make a revision timetable but I have no clue how to make a good one that i'll stick to. Without it it's getting to the point I fell like i'm drowning with work. And being someone who needs to get 3 A's in A2 and A's in 3 resits i'm really struggling to feel comfortable with the QUALITY of my revision. Any tips, please?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.