Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because of the A level reforms, I have to decide now which subject I'm dropping at AS. Initially my school were going to enter us for AS exams,and so I could've decided later on which one to drop having obtained my results. However, they're no longer entering us, and so I only need to sit the AS I'm planning to drop. I'm torn between which one to drop. The other subjects I'm sitting the full a level in next year are Biology and Psychology. I'm hoping to apply for Law at Oxbridge and other top universities.
    In my mock, I got an A in latin and a C in English literature. However latin gets very difficult at A2 and I'm not sure how I'd find it, whereas my English teacher assures me I'll do well in A2 and that students always struggle at AS. Also, if I want to drop Lit I'd have to sit the exams this summer, and I'm worried I'd fail or get a bad grade if i did it this year.

Has anyone done either Latin or Lit at A2 and can offer advice?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Because of the A level reforms, I have to decide now which subject I'm dropping at AS. Initially my school were going to enter us for AS exams,and so I could've decided later on which one to drop having obtained my results. However, they're no longer entering us, and so I only need to sit the AS I'm planning to drop. I'm torn between which one to drop. The other subjects I'm sitting the full a level in next year are Biology and Psychology. I'm hoping to apply for Law at Oxbridge and other top universities.
    In my mock, I got an A in latin and a C in English literature. However latin gets very difficult at A2 and I'm not sure how I'd find it, whereas my English teacher assures me I'll do well in A2 and that students always struggle at AS. Also, if I want to drop Lit I'd have to sit the exams this summer, and I'm worried I'd fail or get a bad grade if i did it this year.

Has anyone done either Latin or Lit at A2 and can offer advice?
    I currently do Lit at A2 and I'm really enjoying it, and all of my class are predicted Cs or above Also, I think Lit is considered a facilitating subject whereas Latin isn't, however it would still be useful for Law... I've applied to do Law at uni and got 4 offers taking English Lit, English Lang and History (plus maths at AS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I currently do Lit at A2 and I'm really enjoying it, and all of my class are predicted Cs or above Also, I think Lit is considered a facilitating subject whereas Latin isn't, however it would still be useful for Law... I've applied to do Law at uni and got 4 offers taking English Lit, English Lang and History (plus maths at AS)
    Hey! Thanks for your reply.
    Following a discussion with my teacher today about Lit, I've decided to keep it and drop Latin. The A2/Year 2 stuff seems way more interesting than what we're currently doing, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    x
    If I remember correctly you applied for Cambridge right? Can I ask how that's going
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    If I remember correctly you applied for Cambridge right? Can I ask how that's going
    I did :yes:
    Unfortunately I was rejected after the winter pool, but I got offers from Durham, UCL, York and Bristol, and have firmed Durham with York as my insurance :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I did :yes:
    Unfortunately I was rejected after the winter pool, but I got offers from Durham, UCL, York and Bristol, and have firmed Durham with York as my insurance :awesome:
    Congratulations on your offers! Those are all incredible universities

I'm considering applying to Cambridge but I'm unsure as to whether I should because I feel like I have little chance of being given an offer
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Congratulations on your offers! Those are all incredible universities

I'm considering applying to Cambridge but I'm unsure as to whether I should because I feel like I have little chance of being given an offer
    There's no harm in applying, just don't hedge all of your bets on it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Latin is a facilitating subject. Most ancient or modern language is now classed as a facilitating subject. However, there's very few out there that teach Latin nowadays!

Facilitating Languages:
    Latin
    Ancient Greek
    Spanish
    French
    German
    Mandarin
    Modern Greek
    Italian

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.